Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

How much can steel flex without injury?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

How much can steel flex without injury?

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-24, 09:21 AM
martl
Strong Walker

Bikes: too many

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 332 Post(s)
Liked 484 Times in 254 Posts
Originally Posted by bulgie
OK good to know that it's actually a thing. Still, since I've never seen it, in 50 years of studying lightweights, 20 years of that as a custom framebuilder who also did repairs on all brands, I'm thinking it qualifies as rare.

I have also never seen a steel frame crack at the shifter boss, that I can remember anyway. Seen a couple that kinked (buckled) there, from a crash or running into the garage on the car roof, but no fatigue cracks that I can recall. Gotta be way rare.

I did hear about some Ti frames that broke there, and saw one with my own eye, but I assume that was due to not argon-purging the inside enough while they welded those. Can't prove it, but I did a fair number of repairs on Ti frames, including replacing cracked tubes but more often just retrofitting them with S&S couplers. Either way, when we got to see the inside, there were often at least moderate amounts of evidence of insufficient purge. They can clean it off the outside, but I got to see where the sun don't shine, and I could tell ya some stories! Big famous brands. They were just trying to make a living in a tough business, but rushing the weld before the insides are fully purged is, in my opionion, the most likely cause of those cracks at the shifter boss. Since those are so far from the sites of highest stress, cracks pretty much have to be from improper welding, and failure to purge is practically the only thing you can do wrong there. Assuming you're good enough to stick the main tubes together anyway, a reasonably safe bet with the big-name brands. The shifter boss is much easier, much less chance of screwing it up — any other way than by not purging.

There's nothing equivalent to that in brazed steel frames. The H2O and shifter bosses are easily silver brazed in a couple seconds, doing very little metallurgical damage, and that's a task that you can teach an apprentice to do and have him doing an adequate job by the end of day after a few test runs on scrap tubing. It's so easy to braze those that I almost never see one that's not thoroughly brazed. On better quality lightweights anyway; we're not talking about frames from big-box stores here, are we? (I should look at those tests again, it's been years...)
The cracked shifter boss area (was in spiral shape) came up in Usenet days, i dont think the pic is still in the long term memory of the internet It was a frame by a well regarded one-man artisan framebuilder (Hagen Wechsel iirc). Another member, a well-known amateur racer from Vienna by the name of Lui Frimmel, reported he had literally a De Rosas BB fall off the frame at the start to a Hill TT sprint*), so i guess crazy stuff can happen

*) see
Likes For martl:
Old 02-02-24, 02:34 AM
Korina
Happy banana slug

Location: Arcata, California, U.S., North America, Earth, Saggitarius Arm, Milky Way

Bikes: 1984 Araya MB 261, 1992 Specialized Rockhopper Sport, 1993 Hard Rock Ultra, 1994 Trek Multitrack 750, 1995 Trek Singletrack 930

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1536 Post(s)
Liked 1,537 Times in 923 Posts
Originally Posted by martl
The cracked shifter boss area (was in spiral shape) came up in Usenet days, i dont think the pic is still in the long term memory of the internet It was a frame by a well regarded one-man artisan framebuilder (Hagen Wechsel iirc). Another member, a well-known amateur racer from Vienna by the name of Lui Frimmel, reported he had literally a De Rosas BB fall off the frame at the start to a Hill TT sprint*), so i guess crazy stuff can happen

*) see Clarke and Dawe - The Front Fell Off (youtube.com)
Old 02-02-24, 03:58 PM
Bad Lag

Bikes: 1974 Bob Jackson - Nuovo Record, Brooks Pro, Clips & Straps

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1104 Post(s)
Liked 794 Times in 452 Posts
I forgot to add one more thing about aluminum. This applies to both bicycles and aviation applications of aluminum, really all applications of aluminum.

Aluminum's strength and fatigue resistance is very sensitive to damage, to defects. It is referred to as notch sensitivity - the notch being a damage site that will both weaken the item and reduce its fatigue life.
Old 02-02-24, 10:03 PM
RCMoeur 
Cantilever believer

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 554 Post(s)
Liked 1,918 Times in 862 Posts
Originally Posted by Bad Lag
It is referred to as notch sensitivity - the notch being a damage site that will both weaken the item and reduce its fatigue life.
So... you're saying it's notch going to last too long?