Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Ceramic Hub Bearings

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Ceramic Hub Bearings

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-24, 06:25 PM
PromptCritical 

Bikes: Columbine, Paramount Track Bike, Colnago Super, Santana Tandems (1995 & 2007), Gary Fisher Piranha, Trek Wahoo, Bianchi Track Bike, a couple of Honda mountain bikes

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 225 Post(s)
Liked 140 Times in 95 Posts
Ceramic Hub Bearings

I always thought rolling resistance of bearings had mostly to do with the lubrication (heavy grease > lighter grease > oil). Obviously the bearings need to be of a minimum hardness, but can someone enlighten me as to why folks are using ceramic bearings?
Old 05-15-24, 07:11 PM
Barry2 
LR÷P=HR

Bikes: 1981 Holdsworth Special, 1993 C-dale MT3000 & 1996 F700CAD3, 2018 & 2019 Cervelo R3’s & 2022 R5, JustGo Runt, Ridley Oval, Kickr Bike 8-)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 887 Post(s)
Liked 1,236 Times in 715 Posts
The heart wants, what the heart wants !

It’s the result of successful marketing.

Barry

Last edited by Barry2; 05-15-24 at 07:18 PM.
Likes For Barry2:
Old 05-15-24, 07:37 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 7111 Post(s)
Liked 11,248 Times in 4,804 Posts
Greater sphericity which leads to virtually trivial reductions in drag.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 05-15-24, 07:58 PM
Trakhak

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 2612 Post(s)
Liked 3,146 Times in 1,791 Posts
Search says:

Ceramic bearing balls are often used in industrial applications that require high speeds, high loads, and high temperatures. They are also used in the aerospace industry, medical, and automotive industries.

None of those three conditions apply for bicycles, to put it mildly.
Likes For Trakhak:
Old 05-16-24, 05:55 AM
base2 
I am potato.

Bikes: Only precision built, custom high performance elitist machines of the highest caliber. 🍆

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 1818 Post(s)
Liked 1,689 Times in 967 Posts
Because the next better thing exists, that's the thing that must be used.

Car dependency is a tax.
Likes For base2:
Old 05-16-24, 05:59 AM
Breadfan

Bikes: Niner RLT 9, 1972 Nishiki Road Compe, Jamis Renegade, Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked 69 Times in 39 Posts
Ceramic bearings are a waste of money for hubs. They don't spin fast enough to even come close to performing what they are made to do. However, I have them in my surf fishing reels for casting well over 100 yards and they really do make a difference for that application. But I get it, the heart wants what the heart wants.
Old 05-16-24, 07:30 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2632 Post(s)
Liked 1,985 Times in 1,242 Posts
Slightly better deformation, so trivially lower drag.

Slightly lower weight. Some of the most expensive weight reduction available in the bicycle world.

I think I recall seeing a marketing pitch that ceramic bearings were so good they didn't really need lubrication. If I'm not imagining that, another insignificant drag reduction.

You'd think, for something so expensive and so well hidden, they'd come with large stickers to put on the bike frame: "I've got ceramic bearings in MY bike, nyah, nyah!"
Likes For pdlamb:
Old 05-16-24, 08:37 AM
prj71

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 3059 Post(s)
Liked 1,223 Times in 791 Posts
I recently just purchased some carbon wheels with ceramic bearings. I can tell you they are smooth and the wheels roll forever if you spin them when the bike is up on the stand. I have 7 other wheelsets and they are probably a tie with my wheelsets that have Onyx hubs and roll much longer than the other wheelsets that don't have ceremic bearings.

My next move is ceramic bearing bottom brackets from BB Infinite.
Old 05-16-24, 08:43 AM
MilhouseJ

Bikes: Probably too many...

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 61 Times in 32 Posts
I'm anxiously awaiting ceramic bearings for my flat pedals. Then I'll be unstoppable.
Likes For MilhouseJ:
Old 05-16-24, 09:38 AM
PromptCritical 

Bikes: Columbine, Paramount Track Bike, Colnago Super, Santana Tandems (1995 & 2007), Gary Fisher Piranha, Trek Wahoo, Bianchi Track Bike, a couple of Honda mountain bikes

Quoted: 225 Post(s)
Liked 140 Times in 95 Posts
Back in the day, before a criterium race, we'd lube our hubs with oil and plug the drain hole. One could feel the difference when coasting, but it never made any difference as criteriums are much more about tactics and placement at the finish line sprint.
Old 05-16-24, 09:42 AM
prj71

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 3059 Post(s)
Liked 1,223 Times in 791 Posts
Originally Posted by MilhouseJ
I'm anxiously awaiting ceramic bearings for my flat pedals. Then I'll be unstoppable.
You just reminded me that I also recently put ceramic bearings in 2 sets of my Time Pedals. Now I am unstoppable!!!
Old 05-16-24, 10:23 AM
MilhouseJ

Originally Posted by prj71
You just reminded me that I also recently put ceramic bearings in 2 sets of my Time Pedals. Now I am unstoppable!!!
Ah, but did you charge them??
Old 05-16-24, 10:53 AM
smd4

Bikes: 1989 Cinelli Supercorsa

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 3625 Post(s)
Liked 3,047 Times in 1,843 Posts
Lighter weight and smoother. What's not to like?
Old 05-16-24, 11:27 AM
easyupbug 

Bikes: too many sparkly Italians, some sweet Americans and a couple interesting Japanese

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 572 Post(s)
Liked 609 Times in 421 Posts
I come from engineering/maintenance in heavy industry and we only justified using them for corrosion/moisture resistance, and high temperature applications. None of which I have found impacts my bikes.
Likes For easyupbug:
Old 05-16-24, 12:19 PM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 3,103 Times in 1,978 Posts
unless you go all the way & have the bearing races also be fitted for the bearings, the benefit[s] are very minimal if any.
Old 05-16-24, 12:38 PM
rccardr 
aka: Dr. Cannondale

Mentioned: 236 Post(s)
Quoted: 2172 Post(s)
Liked 3,507 Times in 1,229 Posts
I just ordered ceramic bearings for my seatpost.
Catch me now, suckahs!
Old 05-16-24, 01:30 PM
Pratt

Quoted: 427 Post(s)
Liked 515 Times in 306 Posts
I'll go with the trivial advantage. From what I've read the two least aerodynamic objects are the human body and the spoked wheel both available in. handy combination package on bicycles.
Old 05-16-24, 01:55 PM
Bill Kapaun
Really Old Senior Member

Bikes: 87 RockHopper,2008 Specialized Globe. Both upgraded to 9 speeds. 2019 Giant Explore E+3

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1816 Post(s)
Liked 1,305 Times in 899 Posts
IF one 'feels" they have better equipment, they'll probably up their performance slightly to "prove it".
Old 05-16-24, 01:58 PM
stoneageyosh

Bikes: Dave Tesch Model 100 Custom Reynolds 753 / Custom Panasonic built by Takao Ono (1973)

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 172 Times in 96 Posts
Originally Posted by pdlamb
Slightly better deformation, so trivially lower drag.

Slightly lower weight. Some of the most expensive weight reduction available in the bicycle world.

I think I recall seeing a marketing pitch that ceramic bearings were so good they didn't really need lubrication. If I'm not imagining that, another insignificant drag reduction.
"
All feeding the micro watt power differential, super weight weenie, “my bike always stays clean” mantra disciples.

Originally Posted by MilhouseJ
Have you tried using your brakes?

Originally Posted by PromptCritical
Back in the day, before a criterium race, we'd lube our hubs with oil and plug the drain hole. One could feel the difference when coasting, but it never made any difference as criteriums are much more about tactics and placement at the finish line sprint.
Some track riders used oil just to hear the loose balls click as they would roll over, especially as they were just warming up. Sort of saying “my bike is faster than yours” because of no clingy grease. It may have had a slight advantage in pursuit events. Maybe just a psychological edge for some.
At the 1984 Los Angeles Olympics, fifteen minutes before the 4000m Pursuit Bronze medal race, Leonard Nitz bike was brought to Campy Tech Support and needed the bottom bracket redone. Request was for no grease, loose ball with light oil only so it had to go together dry. Three of us, trading A#*%+^#s and elbows, swapped the BB and handed the bike back in ten minutes. It was run down to the start line and Nitz won the bronze. Did it make a difference? Ask Harv.
Old 05-16-24, 02:33 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 7111 Post(s)
Liked 11,248 Times in 4,804 Posts
Originally Posted by prj71
I recently just purchased some carbon wheels with ceramic bearings. I can tell you they are smooth and the wheels roll forever if you spin them when the bike is up on the stand.
That may have nothing to do with the bearing material...And at any rate is virtually irrelevant with regard to speed.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 05-16-24, 03:07 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5931 Post(s)
Liked 2,828 Times in 1,580 Posts
IMO, other than the desire to have "the best" one needs to maintain some perspective.

There's no denying that bearing friction varies with both material and quality. But the total amount of bearing drag of even the worst is trivial compared to total drag on a bike, which comes from wind, tires, and bearings, in order of importance.

Also, among good quality bearings, under bike conditions, the viscous drag of the lubricant is much greater than any difference in the bearings themselves. Also don't forget about the friction of the lip seals on typical bearings.

IMO, if you want the absolutely lowest drag, pry off the seals, and replace the grease with oil. Of course this might cost you some wear, and really won't make a material difference, but the psychological boost from thinking it would might matter.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Likes For FBinNY:
Old 05-16-24, 03:42 PM
smd4

Bikes: 1989 Cinelli Supercorsa

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 3625 Post(s)
Liked 3,047 Times in 1,843 Posts
Taking together all the incremental benefits of the small weight and friction savings of our upgrades by definition should result in some cremental gains.
Old 05-16-24, 04:02 PM
Trakhak

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 2612 Post(s)
Liked 3,146 Times in 1,791 Posts
Originally Posted by stoneageyosh
All feeding the micro watt power differential, super weight weenie, “my bike always stays clean” mantra disciples.

Some track riders used oil just to hear the loose balls click as they would roll over, especially as they were just warming up. Sort of saying “my bike is faster than yours” because of no clingy grease. It may have had a slight advantage in pursuit events. Maybe just a psychological edge for some.
At the 1984 Los Angeles Olympics, fifteen minutes before the 4000m Pursuit Bronze medal race, Leonard Nitz bike was brought to Campy Tech Support and needed the bottom bracket redone. Request was for no grease, loose ball with light oil only so it had to go together dry. Three of us, trading A#*%+^#s and elbows, swapped the BB and handed the bike back in ten minutes. It was run down to the start line and Nitz won the bronze. Did it make a difference? Ask Harv.
For anyone who wasn't following American bike racing back then and is puzzling over who this "Harv" character is who suddenly showed up at the end of the post, he was usually referred to in print as Leonard "Harvey" Nitz (complete with quotation marks). Why? I don't know.
Old 05-16-24, 06:21 PM
stoneageyosh

Bikes: Dave Tesch Model 100 Custom Reynolds 753 / Custom Panasonic built by Takao Ono (1973)

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 172 Times in 96 Posts
Thanks for the follow up.
Old 05-17-24, 07:49 AM
MilhouseJ

Originally Posted by stoneageyosh

Where's the fun in that???
Likes For MilhouseJ:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.