Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+) > Pills and Ills
Reload this Page >

time under tension

Search
Notices
Pills and Ills This is a discussion subforum for the health challenges faced by riders 50+. These discussions are in no way to be considered professional medical advice.

time under tension

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-24, 10:15 AM
late

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12194 Post(s)
Liked 1,497 Times in 1,109 Posts
time under tension

Recent research has changed the way people think about training.

While it's complicated, for most of us, everything works...

I like it, because it agrees with what I was already doing. There are a number of mantras that now need to be taken with a grain of salt. One of them is full range of movement. While it's a good thing, you will likely see better results by mixing it up. I recently talked about doing the lower half of a Sumo Squat, with pauses. I am still doing the lower half part, but I am not doing the pause part. I plan on working it back in, as I get in better shape. I wasn't joking when I said I kicked my butt.

So let's talk a bit about mixing it up.

I am going to tell you about a way to exercise you prob have never seen. It should be done with compound exercises, squat, bench press. You can do it with an isolation exercise. But you should limit it to once in a session, so it ought to be a lagging body part, if you do.

The hard part is the pattern. So while I am saying don't do it with an isolation exercise, that's where we are going to start, and with light weight. Say 5 pounds with a bicep curl.

Once your body gets the pattern, it's easy. Until then..

1/3 up, 1/3 down, 2/3 up, 1/3 down, 2/3 up, 1/3 down, 1/3 up, 2/3 down 1/3 up, 2/3 down. You do it until you can't do it.

I don't train to failure, but I do take it into painful territory. Another tidbit is that this builds toughness and endurance. It's not ideal for maximal growth. About the last thing I am is a bodybuilder, so I don't care (much). I used to train for the season. In the Fall I would train for skiing, in winter I would get ready for hiking and backpacking. I had big legs, not much in the way of arms.

I would suggest not using this for a deadlift. You just might hurt your back. There is an exception, the One Leg Romanian Deadlift, but learn the pattern without weight first.

Todays exercise is the Turkish get up: