Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

What is the history and hierarchy of GT road bikes and MTBs?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-12, 08:45 PM
RFC

Bikes: many

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 13 Posts

I've always liked the triple triangle but don't know much about the brand.

Thanks

RFC
Old 10-14-12, 01:34 AM
Groundoggy

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
https://www.fundinguniverse.com/compa...ycles-history/

Good starting point for the history of GT. 1996 was a pivotal and tragic year for the company and as such many GT fans (like me) tend to have a diminishing appreciation for bikes after 96/97.

BikePedia can help with the 'heirarchy' aspect. I don't know much about their road bike side but am a GT MTB fan. The Titanium Xizang is highly coveted and the 6061 aluminum Zaskar's from the early 90's to '97 are also in demand. These are probably their two most iconic MTB frames (both hard tails w/triple triangle).

I have 3 Zaskar's and a steel '89 Karakorum K2. The K2 I have had since I bought it. The Zaskars I have purchased more recently. You can get a decent Zaskar frame for around $140 and I've bought full bikes for $200. Be warned - there are people COUNTERFEITING Zaskars. They take a lower end GT frame and throw some Zaskar stickers on it. Look for a flat GT end cap on the top tube (NOT curved) and a 6061 stamp on the dropout.
Old 10-14-12, 03:32 AM
Elev12k

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 72 Times in 37 Posts
I would like to add the Pcyclone to the shortlist of most iconic. Fillet-brazed steel

Moreover models like Avalanche and Bravado were interesting. Those were complete bikes. Their frames had distinctive features like the 'Groove tube' and '3D' dropouts. For the full suspension fanatics GT develloped the RTS and LTS and for those bikes there is also appreciation.

I do not know much about their roadbikes, but I do know GT carried a hybrid with a back than very odd wheelsize: 650B.

https://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/v/M...GT/Catalogues/
Old 10-14-12, 06:39 AM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 378 Post(s)
Liked 1,410 Times in 910 Posts
I have a front-suspended Saddleback and like it a lot. I know it's not high end, but it's super-dependable, quiet, and gives my wife no trouble whatsoever, and that's worth a ton. Definitely from around 2000 or later...

I did a triathlon on a Timberline (long story, but we had to ride yard sale bikes) and it was thrilling (15.01 mph over the 15m leg). I thought it was a great bike, but the triathlon imprinted a certain memory of pain, and I sold it as soon as I could.

I, too, think the triple triangle is cool.
Old 10-14-12, 07:49 AM
BentLink

Bikes: '86 Cannondale SR400, '86 Pugeot PX10, '92 Bianchi Axis, '95 Bianchi Campione d'Italia, '00 Fondriest X-Status, '08 Specialized Roubaix, '13 Cannondale CAADX

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I rode a K2 in the early 90's--my commuter and single track bike. Tange tubes and Sun Tour components. The purple paint-spatter finish was very fashionable at the time .
Old 10-14-12, 08:05 AM
oldskoolwrench
自転車整備士

Bikes: '86 Moots Mountaineer, '94 Salsa Ala Carte, '94 S-Works FSR, 1983 Trek 600 & 620

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Elev12k
I would like to add the Pcyclone to the shortlist of most iconic. Fillet-brazed steel

Moreover models like Avalanche and Bravado were interesting. Those were complete bikes. Their frames had distinctive features like the 'Groove tube' and '3D' dropouts. For the full suspension fanatics GT develloped the RTS and LTS and for those bikes there is also appreciation.

I do not know much about their roadbikes, but I do know GT carried a hybrid with a back than very odd wheelsize: 650B.

https://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/v/M...GT/Catalogues/
The bike in question is the Tachyon, which used '700D' wheels; sort of like the precursor to the 29'er.

GT's road bikes didn't come into existence until '98 or '99, when GT had an agreement to produce frames for the Lotto team in Europe.
Old 10-14-12, 08:31 AM
jet sanchEz

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 947 Post(s)
Liked 850 Times in 386 Posts
Originally Posted by Groundoggy
I have 3 Zaskar's and a steel '89 Karakorum K2. The K2 I have had since I bought it. The Zaskars I have purchased more recently. You can get a decent Zaskar frame for around $140 and I've bought full bikes for $200. Be warned - there are people COUNTERFEITING Zaskars. They take a lower end GT frame and throw some Zaskar stickers on it. Look for a flat GT end cap on the top tube (NOT curved) and a 6061 stamp on the dropout.
I wanted a Zaskar so bad when I was a kid but I ended up with a green and black spackled K2 Karakoram that I bought used in 1993. I just gave it to my nephew this past summer and he loves it too, I am sure he will get another 20 years out of it, the bike is very well made.. I had a great GT GTB track bike that I sold recently and it too was very well made and the triple triangle made for a very stiff ride, the thing cornered like it was on rails.
Old 10-14-12, 09:22 AM
T-Mar

Mentioned: 654 Post(s)
Quoted: 4722 Post(s)
Liked 3,038 Times in 1,876 Posts
GT was the creation of Gary Turner, a professional drag racer who decided to build his son a better BMX frame, circa 1973. The frame was popular and Gary started building custom BMX frames which were noticed by shop owner Richard Long, who started selling them though his shop. They formed a partnership to manufacture BMX bicycles and incorporated GT in 1979. When the sales of BMX start to decline, they introduced their ATB for the 1988 model year. 1990 saw the introduction of Hybrids, with the 700D, drop bar Tachyon, a rare failure for GT. Road bicycles were introduced in 1994 and the magaszine testers had a field day, when GT offered the Strike in steel, aluminum and titanium versions, offering them the opportunity to do an A-B-C frame material comparison. Thoughout their history, GT aggresivley promoted the brand by sponsoring domestic BMX, ATB and Road teams consisting of top notch riders like world champions Hans Rey and Julie Furtado.

In 1995 the company went public, turning Gary and Richard in multi-millionaires and handing company control over to Bain Capital. In 1996 Long was killed in a motorcycle accident and the very next day, Bain Capital announced it was selling it's controlling interest in GT. With the loss of Long and Turner not in control, things started to deteriorate. With the 1998 sale to Questor (who also owned Schwinn) things got worse, with bankruptcy being decalred in 2001.

Pacific Cycle picked up ownership of the Schwinn and GT brands. They decided to license the Schwinn brand to major box store chains while GT went global, building itself back up via European distribition. Pacific Cycles was bought by Dorel Industries in 2004, sending control of two iconic USA brands north of the border, to Canada.

Due to constantly changing product lines that span decades, it's a daunting task to provide a definitive hierarchy. I myself own a first year (1988) Karakoram which has the distinction of having won a national title. I also rode one of the very first titanium Xiang.
Likes For T-Mar:
Old 10-14-12, 06:37 PM
eastcoaststeve

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 7 Posts
Psyclone was the top of the line for a while, and was one of my white whales....

built this one up a while back:

Steve
Likes For eastcoaststeve:
Old 10-14-12, 11:32 PM
Groundoggy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BentLink
I rode a K2 in the early 90's--my commuter and single track bike. Tange tubes and Sun Tour components. The purple paint-spatter finish was very fashionable at the time .

Purple paint-splatter NEVER goes out of style.
Old 10-15-12, 12:44 PM
MrEss
likes to ride an old bike

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
The LBS has a tiny (maybe 46cm C-C but 700c wheels!) fillet-brazed GT road frame. No model designation but white paint and lots of Reynolds decals -- must have been built for a team. Reynolds "Service du Course" tubing sticker. Somebody drewed off the numberplate holder.

Tragically, someone also drilled RivNuts into the belly of the (753?) paper-thin downtube, forming nasty-looking tears in the metal.

It's very beautifully made, much like the famous 1993 National team frames. I wish it were a bigger!
Old 10-16-12, 01:53 PM
shrinkboy

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
rental bikes at Frisco Superdrome are GT's...and that's all i've got on the topic. impressive, huh?
Likes For shrinkboy:
Old 10-16-12, 02:10 PM
Bikedued

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 205 Post(s)
Liked 107 Times in 60 Posts
I had a HUGE GT mtb for a while. It was spraybombed black but I scraped enough off to find the stringy white splatterpaint. I sold it before I ever knew what it was. It was a nice rider, but I had too many bikes at the time. Check my signature for a little joke showing the state of the "new" GT. A joke, but it's true. Take a trip to your nearest GT dealer, and check out the stem caps, lol.,,,,BD

The paint on mine was apparently this scheme, so it may have been a Tequesta?

https://i639.photobucket.com/albums/u...a/DSC03117.jpg

Last edited by Bikedued; 10-16-12 at 02:26 PM.
Old 10-16-12, 02:16 PM
frantik
Chainstay Brake Mafia

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by T-Mar
In 1995 the company went public, turning Gary and Richard in multi-millionaires and handing company control over to Bain Capital. In 1996 Long was killed in a motorcycle accident and the very next day, Bain Capital announced it was selling it's controlling interest in GT. With the loss of Long and Turner not in control, things started to deteriorate.
Romney killed GT?!
Old 10-17-12, 05:40 AM
rccardr 
aka: Dr. Cannondale

Mentioned: 234 Post(s)
Quoted: 2155 Post(s)
Liked 3,404 Times in 1,205 Posts
Check out recent New Yorker issues for an interesting article on the chronology of Romney and Bain. I think by the late 90's he was back at Bain Capital trying to turn it around.

But even then, GT made some great bikes, like my '98 GT Edge Titanium, handmade in their Longmont CO skunkworks shop:

Old 10-18-12, 04:06 PM
KvltBryce
- Bikes Not Bombs -

Bikes: 1986 LOOK KG86, 19XX Les Ephgrave?, 1983 Nishiki Royal, 199X Nukeproof MTB, 1974 Raleigh Grand Prix

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by rccardr

Likes For KvltBryce:
Old 11-12-17, 09:00 PM
MadNachos

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Not quite....

Forgive the response to a very old post but I thought it important to clear a few things up since I was heavily involved with GT over many years when they were still making good bikes.

Gary was not a pro drag racer that decided to build his son a better BMX bike. The real story is that Gary started working as a welder at a company in So Cal when he returned from Vietnam making brass instruments. He did not get big into drag racing until Rich had been running GT for a while so he could 'step back' and not be bothered with the day to day BS. He just did what he wanted and what he wanted was to run his pro-alcohol dragster team. But this was decades after GT was off and running.

Rich and Gary were already millionaires when the company went public. And then some. When Rich was still alive we grew 10-15% a year (over decades) and since we also owned the largest bicycle parts distributor in the world we were doing well over $200M a year in sales. Rich and Gary had been very wealthy for quite a few years by that point.

Also, BMX did not start to decline like mentioned and certainly had nothing to do with developing our first mountain bikes, it was simply evolution. At the time most MTBs were made like road bikes...lugs and brazing was the norm. We were already very skilled at working with 6061 from all of the mini BMX race frames we had been making so the leap to making aluminum MTB frames was super logical. And we had plenty of BMX and freestyle riders to beat the hell out of our initial prototype MTB designs so we had a leg up on everyone else. We did TIG welded MTB frames when that was unusual, made carbon frames in the USA when it was unheard of, and ramped up to have the largest Ti fabrication facility in the bike biz shortly after that.

GT was killing it.

Originally Posted by T-Mar
GT was the creation of Gary Turner, a professional drag racer who decided to build his son a better BMX frame, circa 1973. The frame was popular and Gary started building custom BMX frames which were noticed by shop owner Richard Long, who started selling them though his shop. They formed a partnership to manufacture BMX bicycles and incorporated GT in 1979. When the sales of BMX start to decline, they introduced their ATB for the 1988 model year. 1990 saw the introduction of Hybrids, with the 700D, drop bar Tachyon, a rare failure for GT. Road bicycles were introduced in 1994 and the magaszine testers had a field day, when GT offered the Strike in steel, aluminum and titanium versions, offering them the opportunity to do an A-B-C frame material comparison. Thoughout their history, GT aggresivley promoted the brand by sponsoring domestic BMX, ATB and Road teams consisting of top notch riders like world champions Hans Rey and Julie Furtado.

In 1995 the company went public, turning Gary and Richard in multi-millionaires and handing company control over to Bain Capital. In 1996 Long was killed in a motorcycle accident and the very next day, Bain Capital announced it was selling it's controlling interest in GT. With the loss of Long and Turner not in control, things started to deteriorate. With the 1998 sale to Questor (who also owned Schwinn) things got worse, with bankruptcy being decalred in 2001.

Pacific Cycle picked up ownership of the Schwinn and GT brands. They decided to license the Schwinn brand to major box store chains while GT went global, building itself back up via European distribition. Pacific Cycles was bought by Dorel Industries in 2004, sending control of two iconic USA brands north of the border, to Canada.

Due to constantly changing product lines that span decades, it's a daunting task to provide a definitive hierarchy. I myself own a first year (1988) Karakoram which has the distinction of having won a national title. I also rode one of the very first titanium Xiang.
Likes For MadNachos:
Old 11-12-17, 10:52 PM
Piff 

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 753 Times in 410 Posts
Originally Posted by MadNachos
Forgive the response to a very old post but I thought it important to clear a few things up since I was heavily involved with GT over many years when they were still making good bikes.

Gary was not a pro drag racer that decided to build his son a better BMX bike. The real story is that Gary started working as a welder at a company in So Cal when he returned from Vietnam making brass instruments. He did not get big into drag racing until Rich had been running GT for a while so he could 'step back' and not be bothered with the day to day BS. He just did what he wanted and what he wanted was to run his pro-alcohol dragster team. But this was decades after GT was off and running.

Rich and Gary were already millionaires when the company went public. And then some. When Rich was still alive we grew 10-15% a year (over decades) and since we also owned the largest bicycle parts distributor in the world we were doing well over $200M a year in sales. Rich and Gary had been very wealthy for quite a few years by that point.

Also, BMX did not start to decline like mentioned and certainly had nothing to do with developing our first mountain bikes, it was simply evolution. At the time most MTBs were made like road bikes...lugs and brazing was the norm. We were already very skilled at working with 6061 from all of the mini BMX race frames we had been making so the leap to making aluminum MTB frames was super logical. And we had plenty of BMX and freestyle riders to beat the hell out of our initial prototype MTB designs so we had a leg up on everyone else. We did TIG welded MTB frames when that was unusual, made carbon frames in the USA when it was unheard of, and ramped up to have the largest Ti fabrication facility in the bike biz shortly after that.

GT was killing it.
What is your favorite GT frame? Wonderful post btw, I love hearing about the behind the scenes history for bike companies like this.

Edit: more importantly, do you have a favorite nachos style?
Old 11-12-17, 11:19 PM
MadNachos

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Favorite? Man....tough question. We made a lot of prototype frames that never went into production that were fun even if they were not great, like a Titanium RTS and LTS, just not as good as aluminum since it lost it's weight advantage once they got as stuff as 6061. But my two faves were the initial aluminum trials bikes we made years after Hans started riding for us, the 4130 versions were nice but just an improved version of a Monty. The other awesome frame was when we made a very limited run of Zaskar frames that were made from some crazy Easton tubing that was butted on crazy ways so it was paper thin in spots. We wanted to sell them as 'race only' with the warranty of '1 race season' and they were to only be sold to NORBA racers. But lawyers stopped it. So we sold most of them to a distributor in Mexico with the understanding that if we ever saw one on this side of the border that it would be a problem for them.

Ohh...the unofficial LTS tandem that a couple QC guys made for the hell of it was awesome.

Most awesome thing? Never paying for a bike that is nobody else can own for at least a year. If ever. Freaked people out to show up on a trail with some funky test version of a bike that may never be available but at a glance looks like what they are riding.

And I am not a huge fan of nachos... but that is a different story....

Originally Posted by Piff
What is your favorite GT frame? Wonderful post btw, I love hearing about the behind the scenes history for bike companies like this.

Edit: more importantly, do you have a favorite nachos style?
Old 06-09-21, 07:29 AM
danco

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Can't agree with your time-line

Can't agree with your timeliness, since I had a GT drop bar road bike in 1992.

Originally Posted by oldskoolwrench
The bike in question is the Tachyon, which used '700D' wheels; sort of like the precursor to the 29'er.

GT's road bikes didn't come into existence until '98 or '99, when GT had an agreement to produce frames for the Lotto team in Europe.
Old 06-09-21, 07:33 AM
danco

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Can't agree with your time-line

Can't agree with your timeline
Old 06-09-21, 10:48 AM
T-Mar

Mentioned: 654 Post(s)
Quoted: 4722 Post(s)
Liked 3,038 Times in 1,876 Posts
Originally Posted by danco
Can't agree with your timeliness, since I had a GT drop bar road bike in 1992.
GT didn't have any dedicated road models in 1992. What you are describing is a 1992 Tachyon. GT called introduced the 700D wheel and drop bar Tachyon in 1990 and called it a "Crossover" bicycle. They were meant to be on and off road bicycles, in the same vein as a Bianchi Volpe. To-day, we'd call them a hybrid. GT introduced their dedicated road bicycle line for the 1994 model year with the Edge (available in steel, aluminum and titanium versions), Fury, Rage, Strike and Force.

I just noticed that in my earlier post I stated that the Strike was available in the three different frame materials. That was incorrect. It was the Edge.
Old 06-09-21, 12:25 PM
mcgregorj 

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 70 Times in 22 Posts
The triple triangle always stuck in my mind from childhood. I picked up a 1992 GT Timberline last year for a good price, gave it a splatter paint job, and have been enjoying it. Apologies for the NDS photo

Old 06-09-21, 02:44 PM
bOsscO
bOsscO

Bikes: 2024 Spec Crux, 2015 Norco Search S1, 93 Mongoose IBOC COMP

Quoted: 296 Post(s)
Liked 355 Times in 212 Posts
For those that like GT's, there's plenty of them posted on this IG page; https://www.instagram.com/commuterbike/?hl=en
Old 07-08-21, 01:04 PM
justcynn

Bikes: Lots of Schwinns

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked 250 Times in 114 Posts

Just purchased this GT Attack Frame for $100. I thought I was getting a reynolds 531 and didn't even look at it closely till I got it home and it is 6061 Aluminum, very little info on the GT aluminum models but the paint is in great shape and I am excited to build it up. Does anyone know if they built 531 bikes and 6061 in the same year?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.