Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Some lovely cycling pix during the pandemic ...

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-21, 06:31 AM
rustystrings61 

Bikes: 2002 Mercian Vincitore, 1982 Mercian Colorado, 1976 Puch Royal X, 1973 Raleigh Competition, 1971 Gitane Tour de France and others

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 823 Post(s)
Liked 1,395 Times in 694 Posts

This got highlighted on FB and it's just too good not to share. He rides lugged steel with barcons, btw! https://www.nytimes.com/2021/04/05/t...VvJoG2OZlmL3JE
Likes For rustystrings61:
Old 04-06-21, 06:50 AM
Charles Wahl
Disraeli Gears

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 504 Post(s)
Liked 369 Times in 214 Posts
Another NYT link, if that doesn't work (I subscribe)
https://www.nytimes.com/2021/04/05/t...portraits.html
His name is Roff Smith, originally Australian but now living on the Sussex coast of England when not on assignment worldwide for National Geographic. The photo essay is his "lockdown project".
Here is his Instagram (I'm not a "grammie") where a lot of the same photos can probably be viewed, if you can't surmount the NYT "paywall"
https://www.instagram.com/roffsmith/?hl=en
And a link to his own pages
Journeys From My Doorstep - Roff Smith Photography

Who can identify the bike first? C&V and fairly high end without a doubt, steel, with chromed head tube lugs and fork crown, head tube extending above the top tube (a fairly modern look, to me, though practical) bar-end shifters, looks like triple crankset, front and rear racks, a rear bag, white or light-colored rubber tires, tread might be Panaracer. I can't read the downtube logotype or headbadge; but of course the photos really aren't about the bike. A tell in that regard: someone really should tell him about the "drive-side" photo rule.

Last edited by Charles Wahl; 04-06-21 at 07:06 AM.
Old 04-06-21, 08:31 AM
nlerner

Mentioned: 481 Post(s)
Quoted: 3810 Post(s)
Liked 6,699 Times in 2,611 Posts
A friend sent that link yesterday. Lovely photos! I, too, wondered what the bike was. There’s at least one shot where a headbadge is visible, but I didn’t linger.
Old 04-06-21, 08:38 AM
BiciMan

Bikes: '97 Bianchi CDI, '97 Specialized RockHopper, '13 Specialized Sirrus Pro, '13 Trek 8.5 DS, '13 BH EasyMotion NeoXtrem, '14 Trek Domane, '86 Schwinn AirDyne ;)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 21 Posts
Originally Posted by Charles Wahl
Another NYT link, if that doesn't work (I subscribe)
https://www.nytimes.com/2021/04/05/t...portraits.html
His name is Roff Smith, originally Australian but now living on the Sussex coast of England when not on assignment worldwide for National Geographic. The photo essay is his "lockdown project".
Here is his Instagram (I'm not a "grammie") where a lot of the same photos can probably be viewed, if you can't surmount the NYT "paywall"
https://www.instagram.com/roffsmith/?hl=en
And a link to his own pages
Journeys From My Doorstep - Roff Smith Photography

Who can identify the bike first? C&V and fairly high end without a doubt, steel, with chromed head tube lugs and fork crown, head tube extending above the top tube (a fairly modern look, to me, though practical) bar-end shifters, looks like triple crankset, front and rear racks, a rear bag, white or light-colored rubber tires, tread might be Panaracer. I can't read the downtube logotype or headbadge; but of course the photos really aren't about the bike. A tell in that regard: someone really should tell him about the "drive-side" photo rule.
Beautiful, thanks for this/these links. I want it to be a Raleigh, just from the NYT look, and I (really) can imagine only the famous logo on the headbadge on the "Spin along Bottle Alley" shot, The downtube also has the Raleigh look. Fun, and thanks again.
Old 04-06-21, 09:16 AM
mcgregorj 

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 70 Times in 22 Posts
They are wonderful photos. Found this on one of his pages:

"I have three bicycles but the one that appears in nearly every image is an old-school tourer custom-built for me some years ago by Mark Reilly (now of Reilly Cycleworks) back when he was the master builder for Enigma. Assisting him at the time was Matthew Sowter, now of Saffron Frameworks. So you could say it has a pedigree of the best of British framebuilding."

The Backstory - Travels At Home
Likes For mcgregorj:
Old 04-06-21, 09:34 AM
BurkinaVelo

Bikes: 1980 Trek 412, 1982 Trek 614, 1987 Peugeot Triathlon

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Lovely piece. My favorite line has to be...

"And when I push off down the street, the world becomes big again, the way it used to be when I was a child: rich in detail, ripe for discovery."

That captures the wonder of these machines.
Likes For BurkinaVelo:
Old 04-06-21, 02:24 PM
Charles Wahl
Disraeli Gears

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 504 Post(s)
Liked 369 Times in 214 Posts
Originally Posted by mcgregorj
They are wonderful photos. Found this on one of his pages:
"I have three bicycles but the one that appears in nearly every image is an old-school tourer custom-built for me some years ago by Mark Reilly (now of Reilly Cycleworks) back when he was the master builder for Enigma. Assisting him at the time was Matthew Sowter, now of Saffron Frameworks. So you could say it has a pedigree of the best of British framebuilding."
The Backstory - Travels At Home
It seemed to me that there's a descender in the middle of the logotype, so maybe it's "Enigma" or "Enigmabikes", though their current logo is more modern looking.