Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Tandem Cycling
Reload this Page >

Arai Drum Brake Sticking

Search
Notices
Tandem Cycling A bicycle built for two. Want to find out more about this wonderful world of tandems? Check out this forum to talk with other tandem enthusiasts. Captains and stokers welcome!

Arai Drum Brake Sticking

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-20, 06:52 PM
cyclehealth

Bikes: Easy Racers Fold Rush 1987 Miyata 215 ST Rans Dynamik 1987 Schwinn Sierra Burley Duet

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 10 Posts
Arai Drum Brake Sticking

I googled the above title and got nothing helpful. So I am presenting the question to you fine folks. I purchased a 2002 Burley Rock and Roll and am going over it and setting it up for our particulars. The bike is stock, even the seats, and cleaned up very well and shows very few miles. Beautiful orange paint! The Arai rear drag brake sticks on after releasing the stoker bar mounted shift lever that is set up to activate the Arai brake. I did check that the cable is not sticking. Cable goes slack after releasing the bar mounted lever but the brake arm lever stays put. The brake arm lever (on the actual brake hub) must be pushed to release it from its stuck position. It will pop back once enough pressure is applied with finger. I removed the wheel and removed the brake plate containing the brake shoes and lightly greased the lever that pushes the brakes apart. I will say it already had grease on it. I cleaned it off and applied fresh grease. Brake shoes show little to no wear. Nothing on the bike does. I realized that on very worn shoes the cam that pushes the shoes outward can rotate past its point of no return but that is not the case with this one as the shoes are not worn. Any ideas? And Thanks!
Old 10-04-20, 07:50 PM
reburns

Bikes: 2005 Trek T2000; 2005 Co-motion Speedster Co-pilot; various non-tandem road and mountain bikes

Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 39 Posts
Does it stick when off the bike or disconnected from the cable?
Old 10-05-20, 04:49 AM
cyclehealth

Bikes: Easy Racers Fold Rush 1987 Miyata 215 ST Rans Dynamik 1987 Schwinn Sierra Burley Duet

Originally Posted by reburns
Does it stick when off the bike or disconnected from the cable?
It does stick with cable disconnected. Problem is not the cable. I have not tried it off the bike. I am off to work and will have to try that later.
Old 10-07-20, 05:07 PM
cyclehealth

Originally Posted by cyclehealth
It does stick with cable disconnected. Problem is not the cable. I have not tried it off the bike. I am off to work and will have to try that later.
Well, I tried the lever with the wheel dismounted from the bike and it still sticks.
Old 10-07-20, 06:36 PM
Alcanbrad

Bikes: '14 CoMo Carrera, '11 CoMo Primera co-pilot, '98 Santana Visa, a Plethora of road bikes, A commuter/Gravel beast (and 1 MTB)

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 38 Posts
Are both return springs between the brake shoes installed? If so, it sounds like the actuator lever is binding where it passes through the hub body. You might have to disassemble and focus there.
Old 10-08-20, 04:29 PM
cyclehealth

Originally Posted by Alcanbrad
Are both return springs between the brake shoes installed? If so, it sounds like the actuator lever is binding where it passes through the hub body. You might have to disassemble and focus there.
Thank you! You nailed it. A few drops of oil where the actuator lever arm passes through the hub body did the trick. Why I did not think of this myself, I do not know. Everybody knows that if metal to metal sticks, oil it.
Likes For cyclehealth:
Old 10-08-20, 08:00 PM
IPassGas

Bikes: Schwinn, Nishiki, Santana, Trek, Rodriguez

Quoted: 189 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 69 Posts
Originally Posted by cyclehealth
Thank you! You nailed it. A few drops of oil where the actuator lever arm passes through the hub body did the trick. Why I did not think of this myself, I do not know. Everybody knows that if metal to metal sticks, oil it.
Hopefully oil is the fix. When the pads on an Arai brake wear down significantly (>50,000 miles), the cam will rotate a bit too far and tend to stick in the on position. If you find that you still have problem when riding, there are fixes, the Arai is indestructible.
Old 10-09-20, 04:26 AM
Alcanbrad

Bikes: '14 CoMo Carrera, '11 CoMo Primera co-pilot, '98 Santana Visa, a Plethora of road bikes, A commuter/Gravel beast (and 1 MTB)

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 38 Posts
Also, be careful to not use too much grease. You want to avoid getting grease and oil on the pads and with the heat, the lubricants can migrate. Also, the heat can burn off any lubricant you may find that you will have to apply more from time to time.
Old 10-09-20, 06:51 AM
Paul J

Bikes: 1980's Spectrum 10 sp Campagnolo Centaur, 1990 Eddy Merckx 10 sp Campagnolo Centaur, Bushnell Tandem, Co-Motion Speedster Tandem

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 185 Post(s)
Liked 102 Times in 65 Posts
I've been working on our Bushnell preparing it for touring next year which has the Arai drag brake. I've gotten the gearing set-up in more of the trekking set-up and will be working on the fenders one of these cold winter weekends coming much too soon. Back to the topic at hand, does anyone know if replacement brake pads are still available somewhere for these? I haven't spoken with Mel yet on this but the Tandems East website doesn't show availability anymore so thought I'd ask here.
Old 10-09-20, 08:35 AM
IPassGas

Bikes: Schwinn, Nishiki, Santana, Trek, Rodriguez

Quoted: 189 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 69 Posts
Originally Posted by Paul J
I've been working on our Bushnell preparing it for touring next year which has the Arai drag brake. I've gotten the gearing set-up in more of the trekking set-up and will be working on the fenders one of these cold winter weekends coming much too soon. Back to the topic at hand, does anyone know if replacement brake pads are still available somewhere for these? I haven't spoken with Mel yet on this but the Tandems East website doesn't show availability anymore so thought I'd ask here.
A motorcycle shop may be able to help you, or possibly a relining site on line.
Old 10-09-20, 09:46 AM
Paul J

Bikes: 1980's Spectrum 10 sp Campagnolo Centaur, 1990 Eddy Merckx 10 sp Campagnolo Centaur, Bushnell Tandem, Co-Motion Speedster Tandem

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 185 Post(s)
Liked 102 Times in 65 Posts
Originally Posted by IPassGas
A motorcycle shop may be able to help you, or possibly a relining site on line.
Living here in Lancaster County, and all the Amish and Mennonite, I wonder one of the "buggy" shops would reline them as the technology is pretty similar. :-)
Old 10-16-20, 05:36 PM
cyclehealth

Originally Posted by Paul J
https://custombrakes.co.uk/
Custom brakes was referenced from here: https://www.bikeradar.com/features/b...-tandem-cecil/