Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

That added up quick

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

That added up quick

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-23, 09:41 AM
plumberroy

Bikes: Surly long haul trucker, Surly steamroller,Huffy Catalina, Univega Alpina 501. Gravity deadeye monster, Raliegh sport , Electra loft 1

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 607 Post(s)
Liked 298 Times in 181 Posts
That added up quick

Since this is where I post the most I will post it here. Back before I quit riding due to health reasons I picked up a Univega Alpina 501 mountain bike bike. I probably paid on the high end of the value when I bought it, but it was in excellent condition and I just liked the bike. I had started modifying t before I quit riding 6 years ago. I have finished it up this year. I like this bike. For exploring a new park or looking for new fishing holes along the river it's great. It will move decent on pavement handle gravel and hard packed dirt. It's not fast because of the mountain bike gearing but climbs great. I made the mistake of adding up what I have in it though.
bike. $160
Tires Serfus Drifter 26x2 $60
Suntour bar end shifters $20
Nitto Bosco bars $80
Cables. $25
Seat. New take off from LBS. $15
Pedals. $15
Paracord (handle bar wrap). $10.
Odds and ends. $10
Topeak rack. $50
More than the bike is worth
I have about the same in a Surly Steamroller

Likes For plumberroy:
Old 07-21-23, 09:47 AM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8339 Post(s)
Liked 9,171 Times in 4,523 Posts
If you like it and it does what you want, it doesn't matter how much it cost, at least in this case. Sounds like a bargain to me. A rebuilt rear wheel and new drivetrain for my road bike will cost more than that.
Likes For big john:
Old 07-21-23, 12:18 PM
t2p

Bikes: Cannondale - Gary Fisher - Giant - Litespeed - Schwinn Paramount - Schwinn (lugged steel) - Trek OCLV

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1430 Post(s)
Liked 1,961 Times in 1,122 Posts
agree - investing in a bike you ride can be a good investment - and your list appears to be reasonable
Likes For t2p:
Old 07-21-23, 12:34 PM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2617 Post(s)
Liked 1,960 Times in 1,228 Posts
I think you forgot to add the water bottle cage. Or did you already have that?

As to expensive, that depends what you're comparing it to. Similar bike 20 years ago? (How much were you making back then?) Similar new bike from a bike shop? Might be a good comparison. Or a big box special? Remember to add the new parts and, potentially, labor as you break all the cheap parts after the first 300 miles.
Old 07-21-23, 01:01 PM
bOsscO
bOsscO

Bikes: 2024 Spec Crux, 2015 Norco Search S1, 93 Mongoose IBOC COMP

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 296 Post(s)
Liked 356 Times in 212 Posts
Reiterating what both big john and t2p said; the value or worth of something you love is often far greater that what it costs. And I agree what you paid for the end product is very reasonable.
I did a similar resto-mod on a Mongoose IBOC Comp and it ended up costing me $875CAD in the end, but worth every penny.

Last edited by bOsscO; 07-21-23 at 01:04 PM.
Old 07-21-23, 01:18 PM
plumberroy

Bikes: Surly long haul trucker, Surly steamroller,Huffy Catalina, Univega Alpina 501. Gravity deadeye monster, Raliegh sport , Electra loft 1

Water bottle cage came with the bike. And I bought the tires 6 years ago when I started the project before my feet got bad they are closer to $40 each now. I have 3 Surly's just . It's that I bought a piece here and there wasn't buying everything at once. I didn't realize I had spent quite that much The pedals were bought to try wide pedals to help with tenderness in my feet. . I actually have a different set of pedals I'm going to buy and move those to another bike..
P.S. only time there is a big box store bike here, is because it was donated to the church and I'm making it rideable to give to a kid in need
Old 07-22-23, 06:22 AM
freeranger

Bikes: 06 Lemond Reno, 98 GT Timberline mtn.bike

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 427 Post(s)
Liked 705 Times in 439 Posts
A lot of the list is what I'd consider normal to need replacing eventually, or "accessory" or what someone would add to a bike to "make it theirs" anyway. The bike seems like a good deal to me, especially since you like it. Lots of new bikes get the items on your list. I'd say you stole it!!
Old 07-22-23, 07:26 AM
Bald Paul

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 835 Post(s)
Liked 1,680 Times in 789 Posts
You're into a bike you enjoy for $445. That's a little less than 1/3 the price of my wheelset. Be happy and ride!
Likes For Bald Paul:
Old 07-22-23, 06:37 PM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3910 Post(s)
Liked 4,866 Times in 2,245 Posts
Originally Posted by Bald Paul
You're into a bike you enjoy for $445. That's a little less than 1/3 the price of my wheelset. Be happy and ride!
I'm not into new expensive wheelsets, but my bikes have been 'personalized', maybe beyond what others would do.

Try to find any bike - new or used - for $450 that has the features you desired with quality components = impossible if new, highly unlikely used in the correct frame size.

Nothing better than a satisfying ride on a bike you personally modify. On more than 1 level. Congrats.
Surly has a similar sort of collection of riders & fan boys.
And it's a major motivation to stick with the cycling. Rather than riding a bike with compromises. I have assembled a number of roadies from vintage framesets.
Old 07-22-23, 06:43 PM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Bikes: everywhere

Mentioned: 74 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12862 Post(s)
Liked 7,781 Times in 4,126 Posts
Originally Posted by plumberroy
Since this is where I post the most I will post it here. Back before I quit riding due to health reasons I picked up a Univega Alpina 501 mountain bike bike. I probably paid on the high end of the value when I bought it, but it was in excellent condition and I just liked the bike. I had started modifying t before I quit riding 6 years ago. I have finished it up this year. I like this bike. For exploring a new park or looking for new fishing holes along the river it's great. It will move decent on pavement handle gravel and hard packed dirt. It's not fast because of the mountain bike gearing but climbs great. I made the mistake of adding up what I have in it though.
bike. $160
{...}
I have about the same in a Surly Steamroller
$160 ain't bad at all.

Steel MTB
Purple
Univega
What more could you ask for?

I'd have probably spent $100 on a seatpost alone if I was to build that from the frame up
Old 07-22-23, 06:46 PM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Originally Posted by LesterOfPuppets
$160 ain't bad at all.

Steel MTB
Purple
Univega
What more could you ask for?

I'd have probably spent $100 on a seatpost alone if I was to build that from the frame up
Waitaminnit. I thought $160 was the total, but a quick glance at the numbers under $160 reveal that they add up to more than that.
Old 07-22-23, 08:46 PM
plumberroy

Need to get some black pedals on it 😁 I have a specialized hard rock those pedals will be close to a match.
Two of the local park trails have sections of pavement out of their trails . It handles cutting across the horse trailer gravel lot, across the road, grass and down a dirt path to get back on pavement great. I haven't rode it more than around 8 miles at one time, but it's great for exploring new parks and paths. No I can't get what I have in it back . Figure since my granddaughter thinks it is the coolest I'll give it to her when I get to old to ride it
Old 07-25-23, 03:02 PM
oldbobcat

Bikes: '80 Masi Gran Criterium, '12 Trek Madone, early '60s Frejus track

Quoted: 519 Post(s)
Liked 453 Times in 340 Posts
Figure on spending around $50 a year for replacement parts to keep a bike rolling nicely, $100 if you have to pay someone to do the work. So you got a good deal, 30 years of replacements for $285. And then there's the coolness factor of riding a very nice old Univega.
Old 07-25-23, 05:05 PM
downtube42

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Gen 3, Soma Fog Cutter, Focus Mares AL, Detroit Bikes Sparrow FG, Volae Team, Nimbus MUni

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 906 Post(s)
Liked 2,084 Times in 1,092 Posts
I bought a fixed gear conversion about a year ago, to see if I liked FG. I did, and the upgrades began. I think the only things original at this point are the rear wheel, front brake, and crankarms. Wild guess at expenses is $800, which is twice what I could sell it for.

It happens.
Old 07-25-23, 05:42 PM
plumberroy

You need to realize I come from an environment where a bike is a toy . Old habits are hard to get around. It's a cool old bike that I think of as an explorer ride .
Old 07-31-23, 02:38 AM
plumberroy

The original MSRP for this bike was $400 in 1995 adjusted for inflation that is $800 in today's money
Old 07-31-23, 02:40 PM
t2p

Bikes: Cannondale - Gary Fisher - Giant - Litespeed - Schwinn Paramount - Schwinn (lugged steel) - Trek OCLV

Quoted: 1430 Post(s)
Liked 1,961 Times in 1,122 Posts

spotted this vintage Univega early yesterday morning
Old 07-31-23, 02:46 PM
plumberroy

Originally Posted by t2p

There is a good looking Univega Rover STI on market place, but I really don't need another bike
Old 07-31-23, 02:47 PM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Originally Posted by t2p

Love those Ukai rims!
Old 07-31-23, 06:41 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2627 Post(s)
Liked 5,754 Times in 2,963 Posts
Don’t fret too much. Your total was less than one of my carbon rims and that doesn’t count the tire.