Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

New Roubaix SL8??

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

New Roubaix SL8??

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-23, 11:43 AM
FL_Gator

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts
New Roubaix SL8??

I am a long time Specialized Roubaix rider currently riding an older model Roubaix. I have been patiently waiting for the 'new model' as it has been a few years since they have release a truly new model. I was really hoping for internal frame storage, integrated cables (I know there is a lot of hate, but I love them), maybe some more modern frame styling.. essentially bringing the Roubaix into the modern trends.
I just saw the new Roubaix SL8 and found it does not have any of these things, and yet it is actually a new frame design....
My question to those who know more than me, should we consider this the 'new model' for the next 3-4 years or is this still just an incremental update? With the new title of SL8 and a new frame design I fear this might be it for a while?
Old 09-12-23, 12:16 PM
Mojo31
-------

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 9659 Post(s)
Liked 6,366 Times in 3,506 Posts
I'd bet the Future Shock feature is a big roadblock to having internal brake hoses and cables.
Likes For Mojo31:
Old 09-12-23, 12:17 PM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22681 Post(s)
Liked 9,005 Times in 4,192 Posts
Originally Posted by Mojo31
I'd bet the Future Shock feature is a big roadblock to having internal brake hoses and cables.
Future Shock Road Block ftw?
Old 09-12-23, 12:20 PM
FL_Gator

Originally Posted by Mojo31
Yea, I was thinking that too, seems like as leaders in innovation Specialized would be able to engineer some clever solutions but they also probably don't see the need on their Endurance line..
Old 09-12-23, 08:54 PM
Chandne

Bikes: 2022 Moots RCS, 2014 BMC SLR01 DA Mech, 2020 Santa Cruz Stigmata, Ibis Ripmo, Trek Top Fuel, Specialized Levo SL, Norco Bigfoot VLT

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 464 Post(s)
Liked 182 Times in 118 Posts
Looks pretty good. Three water bottles and a top-tube mount. The Future Shock is lighter and smoother, they say. I wonder what the Pro and S-Works models weigh.
Old 09-12-23, 09:13 PM
FL_Gator

Originally Posted by Chandne;[url=tel:23013855
23013855[/url]]Looks pretty good. Three water bottles and a top-tube mount. The Future Shock is lighter and smoother, they say. I wonder what the Pro and S-Works models weigh.
Pro is 8.1kg, S-Works is 7.38kg, both with the 32mm Roval Terra Wheels.
Old 09-12-23, 09:16 PM
Chandne

Bikes: 2022 Moots RCS, 2014 BMC SLR01 DA Mech, 2020 Santa Cruz Stigmata, Ibis Ripmo, Trek Top Fuel, Specialized Levo SL, Norco Bigfoot VLT

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 464 Post(s)
Liked 182 Times in 118 Posts
Wow, that S-Works is light! The Pro is not bad either but the S-Works...
Old 09-13-23, 02:24 AM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 4499 Post(s)
Liked 4,976 Times in 3,076 Posts
Originally Posted by FL_Gator

My question to those who know more than me, should we consider this the 'new model' for the next 3-4 years or is this still just an incremental update? With the new title of SL8 and a new frame design I fear this might be it for a while?
This is a major update, so yes you can expect
3-4 years for the next major update.

Fully integrated brake hoses would not be a good idea with the Future Shock, which is why they are still external and probably always will be on the Roubaix unless they drop the Future Shock, which now seems very unlikely.

Internal frame storage would have made the frame slightly heavier. I think they made the right decision adding extra frame mounts instead, given the overall design objectives of this bike ie.lightweight and supremely comfortable endurance/gravel racer.
Likes For PeteHski:
Old 09-13-23, 08:41 AM
msu2001la

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1464 Post(s)
Liked 1,489 Times in 873 Posts
This bike looks awesome. I spent some time on the SL7 Roubaix in Colorado last summer and really liked it. The ride is very smooth and the bike still feels responsive and quick. I'm assuming the SL8 continues that trend.

The only hesitation I have on this bike is the Future Shock. I found it to be mildly annoying, and with wider/tubeless tires it seems totally unnecessary for road riding. If I'm venturing into rougher terrain, I'm going to just ride a gravel bike. I wouldn't avoid the bike because of this.
Likes For msu2001la: