Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Worse than expected.... Extensive surgery on the knee/PCL

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-10, 09:17 AM
sibaudio

Bikes: 09 Mercier Kilo TT, 2006 Fuji Track Pro, 2005 Scott Speedster S1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

So what they thought was a slight tear in my medial meniscus is actually a stage 3 tear in my PCL, the main stabilizer of the knee. Don't know how no other doctors really picked up on this since apparently my entire lower leg moves around like it's dislocated from the joint... I could never tell because you can't really move it around yourself and it's harder to see from your own perspective.. But basically my tibia sits 1-2 inches farther back than it should, and moves around freely.

Surgery means an extended period off the bike, race season almost out of the question (WELL SEE ABOUT THAT) and as quoted from the doctor 6 months - 1 year complete recovery. This really rains on my parade. but no surgery means i'll still never be able to run again, never be able to walk more than a block without being in pain, and, in the long run, early onset arthritis in the knee from it moving around so much.

I'm hoping that I can at least get on the trainer asap and begin training again as to not become weak and to help the recovery as much as possible. Anyone else go through this injury?? apparently it's not as common for people to mess up the PCL, especially without extensive damage to other ligaments. But apparently I had just the right amount of hyperextension to make a mean tear in it.

I thought I'd be feeling really ****ty when I woke up today just thinking about having to go through immobility again and the idea of being off the bike... but I just feel really motivated to get this surgery, recover quick, and it gives me a whole new reason to train my a s s off to put all this behind me.

don't know what i'll do to keep myself occupied while I can't ride the bike.. might go crazy.
Old 01-14-10, 09:40 AM
bumknees

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hope you have a fast and successful recovery! How about handcycling in the meantime?
Old 01-14-10, 09:49 AM
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas

Bikes: 02 GTO, 2011 Magnum

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1353 Post(s)
Liked 1,249 Times in 626 Posts
Sorry to hear about your knee.

It could be worse.

Old 01-14-10, 10:22 AM
Flash
Are you with me

Bikes: Giant TCR Advanced SL, Blue T-14 TT bike

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
how did you injure the knee in the first place?
Old 01-14-10, 11:23 AM
exRunner

Bikes: Panasonic 500

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by sibaudio
So what they thought was a slight tear in my medial meniscus is actually a stage 3 tear in my PCL, the main stabilizer of the knee. Don't know how no other doctors really picked up on this since apparently my entire lower leg moves around like it's dislocated from the joint... I could never tell because you can't really move it around yourself and it's harder to see from your own perspective.. But basically my tibia sits 1-2 inches farther back than it should, and moves around freely.

Surgery means an extended period off the bike, race season almost out of the question (WELL SEE ABOUT THAT) and as quoted from the doctor 6 months - 1 year complete recovery. This really rains on my parade. but no surgery means i'll still never be able to run again, never be able to walk more than a block without being in pain, and, in the long run, early onset arthritis in the knee from it moving around so much.

I'm hoping that I can at least get on the trainer asap and begin training again as to not become weak and to help the recovery as much as possible. Anyone else go through this injury?? apparently it's not as common for people to mess up the PCL, especially without extensive damage to other ligaments. But apparently I had just the right amount of hyperextension to make a mean tear in it.

I thought I'd be feeling really ****ty when I woke up today just thinking about having to go through immobility again and the idea of being off the bike... but I just feel really motivated to get this surgery, recover quick, and it gives me a whole new reason to train my a s s off to put all this behind me.

don't know what i'll do to keep myself occupied while I can't ride the bike.. might go crazy.
Who is doing your surgery? My knee was probably as badly damaged as yours, 2 doctors said they could fix it but I would never run again, then the 3rd Doctor (Stevenson in Islip) said no problem and I was running on a treadmill 5 months later. That was 2 years ago. I can bike forever without pain. Running is up to everyother day, 30 miles a week average. I just have to stetch more and ice afterwards, and somedays I have a nagging ache depending on the weather and how hard I pushed the day before. I also use shoe inserts in my work shoes that makes them act more like running shoes. The doctor said that was more important than anything.

Also, choose your PT carefully. I walked out of the first place. If you don't think it is working, it probably isn't, and that is very important for recovery.

Good luck.
Old 01-14-10, 07:13 PM
nkfrench 

Bikes: 2006 Specialized Ruby Pro aka "Rhubarb" / and a backup road bike

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 4 Posts
I completely ripped my L knee ACL, PCL, LCL; stretched the MCL. Bruised the peroneal nerve so had foot drop 3 months. Gross hyperextension injury. Doc repaired the injury; I was on crutches 8 weeks and then in PT for 5 months. Then had to reconstruct the failed ACL repair. I had to wear a carbon-titanium knee brace 24/7 for a year. That was back in 1991. The brace could go in the pool, and I swam for exercise.

PT involved stationary cycling and nordic track and weightlifting. I lack some range of motion and cannot do any impact activities or those involving unexpected motions or twisting. Can't even bowl. Xrays show the joint to be a mess with fused tibia/fibula, bone spurts; and scar tissue helps hold it all together.

But it is mostly pain-free when cycling -- if the weather is nice. I have ridden a few 5-hour rides with hills and finished comfortably. Just got on the bike 1-1/2 years ago and still building up my lower body strength that I'd neglected most of the time. The doc predicted I would need a total knee replacement by 2001 but it actually feels much better since I began cycling and built up the muscles that help stabilize the knee. Hope I never have to get that knee replaced after all.
Old 01-14-10, 10:31 PM
sam83
On Two Wheels

Bikes: Moots Vamoots, Bianchi Volpe, 2 Salsa Casserolls (fixed & Triple), 2011 Salsa Chili Con Crosso, 1983 Schwinn Supersport, Schwinn Mesa MTB

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This guy is great:

https://www.sandersclinic.net

He's also a moderator on this forum:

https://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=48

Not just as a surgeon, but he communicates to you. Uber accessable. He plated both of my collarbones (14 hour drive each way). Gives you his home phone and cell phone. Is an off road motorcyclist and rides a road bike.

Log on and and ask some questions.