Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Training with power on a Mac

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-10, 01:46 PM
mike868y

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Hey everyone, I should be picking up a powertap wheel this week, and am planning on pairing it with a Garmin Edge 500. I am on a mac, and I was wondering what most people are using for analyzing/tracking their training. I know that WKO+ is the big dog on the pc, but unfortunately it is not available on the mac. I've heard people mention Golden Cheetah, but how does it stack up to WKO+? Does it offer the same sort of tracking as WKO (CTL, ATL, TSS, etc.)? If there are any other good power programs for the mac, fill me in...

Thanks for the help!
Old 05-16-10, 02:11 PM
Yaniel
SLO-1

Bikes: '09 BMC Road Racer SL01

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I use WKO w/ vmware fusion and tinyxp. works perfectly and doesn't lag the system at all.
Old 05-16-10, 02:22 PM
mike868y

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Yea I was thinking about doing that, but that is going to cost more $$ than I have available right now (stretching a little so that I can start training with power). I'd have to get an xp license, a fusion license, and a wko license...all of which isn't exactly cheap. I do have an old xp machine, but I'd rather not use it if I can avoid it.
Old 05-16-10, 05:17 PM
LorenzoNF
zone 2

Bikes: BMC Teammachine

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Golden Cheetah. It has most everything that WKO+ does and it's ... FREE! Seriously, try it out, it's excellent.
Old 05-16-10, 05:19 PM
TMB
Permanent Refugee .......

Bikes: Steel

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Golden Cheetah and / or Ascent.
Old 05-16-10, 05:25 PM
Eclectus

Bikes: Cervelo RS, Specialized Stumpy, Schwinn 974

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You can do Parallels and Windows if you have the Intel processor. I have Windows 7 on my Mac, it works fine.
Old 05-16-10, 05:47 PM
mike868y

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by LorenzoNF
Golden Cheetah. It has most everything that WKO+ does and it's ... FREE! Seriously, try it out, it's excellent.
Awesome. I have it downloaded and took a quick look at the ui, but without using it it's hard to tell what it can do. I have to wait until I get my wheel to really try it out. Does it do ctl, atl and tss?
Old 05-16-10, 05:48 PM
ridethecliche
Batüwü Creakcreak

Liked 289 Times in 161 Posts
Buy a cheap ass netbook and run everything power related on that.
Old 05-16-10, 05:49 PM
ridethecliche
Batüwü Creakcreak

Liked 289 Times in 161 Posts
Originally Posted by mike868y
Awesome. I have it downloaded and took a quick look at the ui, but without using it it's hard to tell what it can do. I have to wait until I get my wheel to really try it out. Does it do ctl, atl and tss?
So you bought tim's wheel eh? Cool.

If you really want CTL, ATL, and TSS but the software doesn't do it. You could get the formulae for numbers and graph those on excel or other spreadsheet prog for free.
Old 05-16-10, 05:49 PM
mike868y

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by ridethecliche
Buy a cheap ass netbook and run everything power related on that.
$$! Like I said just getting the pt + garmin is a stretch, so even a $200 netbook is out of the question (right now). Maybe down the road I will get one and use it for power and as my note taking machine for college.
Old 05-16-10, 06:40 PM
ericm979

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Does it do ctl, atl and tss?
The GC Performance Manager tracks STS, LTS and SB. (short and long term stress, stress balance).

TSS is trademarked, so GC uses BikeScore to calculate a ride's stress. BikeScore is calculated in a different way but comes up with very similar results. STS, LTS and SB are calculated from BS using the same algorithms that WKO uses to creata CTL, ATL and whatever the stress balance acronym in WKO is, from TSS.

At least for me, LTS and CTL from WKO are very close, like within a couple percent. That's probably closer than the accuracy of TSS or BS in representing stress.
I contributed the Performance Manager to GC last year.

FIT file support is in the developer builds (works great, I've been using it since I got a Garmin 500). It'll be in 1.4, which should be available soon.
If you can't build source yourself, read the mailing list- there are developer builds of proto-1.4 that are available for download.

I find that GC 1.3 is as good as WKO 2.2. 1.4 should be a bit better. I have not tried WKO 3.0.
Old 05-16-10, 06:46 PM
mike868y

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by ridethecliche
So you bought tim's wheel eh? Cool.
Yea pretty much. I haven't sent the $$ yet, I'm waiting on shipping costs from psimet. But that should all happen in the next few days. Rob is letting tim borrow a pt while he builds tim's new wheel, so I don't have to wait . Rob + Tim are good people for sure.

Originally Posted by ericm979
The GC Performance Manager tracks STS, LTS and SB. (short and long term stress, stress balance).

TSS is trademarked, so GC uses BikeScore to calculate a ride's stress. BikeScore is calculated in a different way but comes up with very similar results. STS, LTS and SB are calculated from BS using the same algorithms that WKO uses to creata CTL, ATL and whatever the stress balance acronym in WKO is, from TSS.

At least for me, LTS and CTL from WKO are very close, like within a couple percent. That's probably closer than the accuracy of TSS or BS in representing stress.

FIT file support is in the developer builds (works great, I've been using it). It'll be in 1.4, which should be available soon.
If you can't build source yourself, read the mailing list- there are developer builds of proto-1.4 that are available for download.
Thanks for the info. I don't really care about the terms, and as long as the results are close, I should be all set. I don't know how to build from source, but it would be neat to learn. I like supporting open source, and the GC developers seem motivated to make it better, which is awesome. If I try GC once I get my pt and I'm not happy, maybe I will spring for either parallels or a netbook to run wko on, but I think I'll be happy with gc.
Old 05-16-10, 06:57 PM
wacomme

Bikes: Vail Cycle Works - Ti

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Having downloaded one of the 1.3 builds, I concur with eridm979. GC get's better and better. I'm no longer wishing I had WKO+. We'll, since I have an old PPC Mac, I can't import .fit files. Hopefully this will be available in 1.4 for PPC Macs.

FIT file support is in the developer builds (works great, I've been using it since I got a Garmin 500). It'll be in 1.4, which should be available soon.

I find that GC 1.3 is as good as WKO 2.2. 1.4 should be a bit better. I have not tried WKO 3.0.
Old 05-17-10, 04:29 AM
mike868y

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
How do you set FTP in GC?
Old 05-17-10, 07:34 AM
ericm979

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
How do you set FTP in GC?
tools -> options -> athlete -> set Critical Power.
Old 05-17-10, 09:16 AM
popeye

Bikes: S works Tarmac, Felt TK2 track

Liked 180 Times in 111 Posts
Andrew Coggan, one of the authors of "Training and Racing with a Power Meter" has contributed to GoldenCheetah as well as a wealth of others. Great Program.
Old 05-17-10, 03:23 PM
mike868y

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
tools -> options -> athlete -> set Critical Power.
I have 1.3 installed and I don't see that option... Maybe it is because I haven't imported any power files yet?
Old 05-17-10, 03:58 PM
ericm979

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I have 1.3 installed and I don't see that option... Maybe it is because I haven't imported any power files yet?

Could very well be.