Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Where to buy a paint stripper that works?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-22, 10:59 AM
B17

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 4 Posts

Tired of the nonsense. I want a can or two of paint stripper with Methylene Chloride. Methylene Chloride is the chemical the EPA had removed from recreational-amount containers but kept it in the workplaces, AFAIK. I already know how to use it as safely as it can be used, and it seems to be the only thing that takes paint off a frame without a lot of elbow grease. Who still sells it so I can I get it mailed to me (I live between Nashville TN and Birmingham AL)? Thanks so much!
Old 10-07-22, 11:05 AM
B17

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 4 Posts
I don't think it's available in the US, but Canada may have some. Just desperate, and tired of this.
Old 10-07-22, 11:39 AM
dsaul

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 716 Post(s)
Liked 806 Times in 479 Posts
Find a local powder coater and pay him a few bucks to put it in his strip tank. My guy has a large tank that he puts frames and other painted objects into and lets them sit until the paint falls off.
Likes For dsaul:
Old 10-07-22, 12:17 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Quoted: 4224 Post(s)
Liked 3,917 Times in 2,336 Posts
Originally Posted by dsaul
Find a local powder coater and pay him a few bucks to put it in his strip tank. My guy has a large tank that he puts frames and other painted objects into and lets them sit until the paint falls off.
I Have been told of furniture restorers/repairers also use dip tanks.

My only concern about dipping frames is the need to have complete drain out ability. Two vents per tube at the minimum. Andy
Old 10-07-22, 12:46 PM
masonv45

Bikes: 2005 Giant OCRc2, 2016 GT Aggressor Expert

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 63 Times in 33 Posts
https://www.amazon.com/Weld-Aid-Weld.../dp/B008RA5JEW

https://docs.crcindustries.com/msds/1008284e.pdf
(80-90% Methylene Chloride)
Old 10-07-22, 12:57 PM
3alarmer

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Quoted: 26457 Post(s)
Liked 10,418 Times in 7,233 Posts
...here, I can buy "aircraft stripper", but I have to go over to the aircraft supplies place next to the local airport to buy it.
Old 10-07-22, 02:01 PM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2260 Post(s)
Liked 3,478 Times in 1,825 Posts
Originally Posted by 3alarmer
...so I'm not the only one who immediately thought, "Reno or Las Vegas" ?
When I saw the title, I thought a certain someone might come along and say "This should be in the human trafficking subforum."

As for the actual question, a butane torch might work, but there are side-effects.
Likes For Polaris OBark:
Old 10-07-22, 02:45 PM
capnjonny 

Bikes: Miyata 610(66cm), GT Vantara Hybrid (64cm), Nishiki International (64cm), Peugeot rat rod (62 cm), Trek 800 Burning Man helicopter bike, Bob Jackson frame (to be restored?) plus a never ending stream of neglected waifs from the Bike exchange.

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 339 Post(s)
Liked 632 Times in 229 Posts
I have been using Clean strip on my frames. if I applied it normally and waited 30 min it often wouldn't do much to soften or lift the paint. Lately I have been putting multiple coats of stripper on the frame then covering it with aluminum foil . This can cover the bottom bracket and head tube tightly because the aluminum foil is very moldable. After sealing the frame in tin foil I let it sit for a few hours to over night . when the tinfoil is removed the paint under it is much softer and easier to remove.

Note that I also remove most of the paint by scraping with one of the little disposable sliding blade knives - the kind where you can break off the tip of the blade to ecpose another sharp end. Using this I can strip most of the paint off a frame in 2-3 hours.

finally, I have a small sand blast rig that I use to remove the paint from the lugs and also any serious rust. After treating with the paint remover the paint easily comes off with the sand blaster. All told I probably spend 6 hrs to completely remove rust and paint.

Last edited by capnjonny; 10-07-22 at 05:33 PM.
Likes For capnjonny:
Old 10-07-22, 02:52 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6255 Post(s)
Liked 4,858 Times in 3,348 Posts
I had that issue trying to find a decent stripper a few years ago. And I didn't find one.

However I did find out that once I got going with a piece of sand paper that it really didn't take that long. Though consider if you really need to remove all the paint. If it's in decent shape and doesnt have rust blooms coming through, then just scuff the surface, recoat it and be done... though I do recommend a clear coat too.

If you are going to have it powder coated, talk to them whether all the old stuff needs to come off. The oven's don't get that hot for powder coat. Though I'm not to certain at what temperature old paint starts to soften and peel.
Old 10-07-22, 03:20 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5854 Post(s)
Liked 2,695 Times in 1,503 Posts
I understand that there are plenty of hard working strippers out there. However, you can't buy them, only rent them for a while.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Old 10-07-22, 03:45 PM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Quoted: 2348 Post(s)
Liked 2,862 Times in 1,558 Posts
Originally Posted by Iride01
I had that issue trying to find a decent stripper a few years ago. And I didn't find one.

However I did find out that once I got going with a piece of sand paper that it really didn't take that long. Though consider if you really need to remove all the paint. If it's in decent shape and doesnt have rust blooms coming through, then just scuff the surface, recoat it and be done... though I do recommend a clear coat too.

If you are going to have it powder coated, talk to them whether all the old stuff needs to come off. The oven's don't get that hot for powder coat. Though I'm not to certain at what temperature old paint starts to soften and peel.
IME if your are doing an full repaint and don't remove everything it will show, even with sandable primer

My understanding is that powder coaters have to or a minimum normally remove all old paint, using with soft media (walnut shells and the like) blasting

Likes For squirtdad:
Old 10-07-22, 08:36 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 4425 Post(s)
Liked 4,072 Times in 2,715 Posts
Originally Posted by FBinNY
I understand that there are plenty of hard working strippers out there. However, you can't buy them, only rent them for a while.
Originally Posted by 3alarmer
...so I'm not the only one who immediately thought, "Reno or Las Vegas" ?
Originally Posted by tyrion
Y'all have restored my faith in humanity. From what I understand you certainly want to avoid the day shift strippers but it might be cheaper?

In terms of removing paint I would get it media blasted, no harsh chemicals just sand or walnut shells or something like that.
Old 10-08-22, 06:09 AM
Trav1s
Deraill this!

Bikes: 18 Cdale Quick 1, 94 S-Works M2, 98 730 Multitrak, and a few others

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked 449 Times in 261 Posts
Im here to contribute to the original thread but additional comments made my morning.

Definitely look into media blasting and soda or walnut shells would be a good choice as they remove less metal than more aggressive media. I'd suspect a bike frame would be quick and easy work for a reputable media blaster.
Likes For Trav1s:
Old 10-09-22, 10:45 PM
etherhuffer 

Bikes: Surly Long Haul Trucker,81 Fuji Gran Tour SE, 83 Fuji S12S LTD, Voyageur 11.8 chrome, Raleigh R300 Touring, Voyageur 11.8

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 283 Post(s)
Liked 518 Times in 230 Posts
I used to work in the industrial chemistry business. We sold a lot of methylene chloride. Its off most of the market as the efforts continue to remove chlorinated, fluorinated, and similar stuff off the markets. This is good/not good. Better for environment and safety, worse for ......stripping a frame.

Like the automated car washes that recycle water, stripping and blasting places tend to recycle their stuff too. And they really do a better job in the end. The problem is pricing for the hobbyist who wants to do a bike frame while the big shops calculate overhead and hourly rates for large jobs. It would be great to have a bike specific shop in town that could knock out a total frame for a reasonable rate. It takes a good sized compressor to run a blast system efficiently, and it takes a lot safety and EPA happy equipment to run chemicals.

In a perfect world maybe bicycle club members and recycle shops get together and spring for a community usable compressor and blast unit. My guess is liability is too big for such an endeavor. I have a frame to do that does not need a pro level of work, and cost has kept me from doing it.
Old 10-10-22, 02:55 AM
passerby38

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 8 Posts
i think quite a number of generic paint removal/stripper works. im here in singapore and lately i bought a cheap one around 7-8usd a can. but do becareful as these chemicals can sting/burn upon contact either with the chemical itself or even the bits of paint that is peeled off and lands on your skin
Old 10-10-22, 06:34 AM
BTinNYC 

Bikes: Bicycles? Yup.

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 487 Post(s)
Liked 1,621 Times in 750 Posts
I use big box paint stripper and wrap with saran wrap. Put it out in sun for 30 minutes then scrape off the goo.
Likes For BTinNYC:
Old 10-10-22, 04:33 PM
passerby38

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by BTinNYC
I use big box paint stripper and wrap with saran wrap. Put it out in sun for 30 minutes then scrape off the goo.
i did saw this similar method on youtube with the wrap. for my paint removal gooey gel type, it does react with the paint and tends to dry up fast, i think wrapping up gives it more time and better contact with the surfaces and let it strip more and better too
Old 10-21-22, 02:21 AM
iwazi

Bikes: 1992 Schwinn High Plains / 2010 Diamondback Podium 1

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Citristrip worked like magic for me. Applied it, wrapped the area in plastic wrap, and waited 6-8 hours. The paint and primer peeled off with the plastic wrap and left a clean aluminum frame underneath. Costs something like $14 at Amazon or Home Depot and I only used a small fraction of the quart to strip a frame. No nasty smells or fumes and it even tastes good!(kidding)
Likes For iwazi:
Old 10-21-22, 08:35 AM
rm -rf
don't try this at home.

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 984 Post(s)
Liked 519 Times in 357 Posts
Originally Posted by passerby38
i did saw this similar method on youtube with the wrap. for my paint removal gooey gel type, it does react with the paint and tends to dry up fast, i think wrapping up gives it more time and better contact with the surfaces and let it strip more and better too
I've never done a bike frame, but this method works great for stripping painted wood. The saran wrap keeps it working for a couple of hours instead of drying out in a few minutes.
Old 10-23-22, 07:52 PM
Siu Blue Wind
Homey

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 2427 Post(s)
Liked 1,409 Times in 902 Posts
I cleaned up the thread of the childlike remarks. Please continue to be adults. Thank you.
Please dont outsmart the censor. That is a very expensive censor and every time one of you guys outsmart it it makes someone at the home office feel bad. We dont wanna do that. So dont cleverly disguise bad words.