Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Build/Design My Bike!

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Build/Design My Bike!

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-09, 08:35 PM
Rainier22

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Build/Design My Bike!

You guys have told me how to fix up my bike, a bit about components, what kinds of tires might work best for me, and all sorts of good information. I always feel awkward for asking so many questions without being able to help others out here. I thought maybe this would be at least somewhat enjoyable and could still help me out.

I've been thinking about this long and hard; I even made a database on different bike models. I decided the best option for me at this time is to take my mountain bike and make it into a hybrid. Finances suck

So, here is your bike to work with. 2000 Schwinn Mesa

Here's some of the important info
Front Fork has suspension
Brakeset---------------Tektro linear-pull brakes, SRAM IBS levers
Shift Levers-----------SRAM 5.0
Front Derailleur------Shimano Altus C90 top-swing
Rear Derailleur -------SRAM ESP 5.0
Crankset--------------Shimano, 24/34/42 teeth
Pedals-----------------Resin
Rear Cogs------------8-speed, 11 - 30 teeth
Chain------------------1/2 x 3/32"
Hubs-------------------Front: Formula aluminum, Q/R, Rear: Shimano
Rims -------------------Alexis Alloy, 32-hole

Alright, let's say you've got about $500 to spend upgrading this thing to be a decent roadster. Maybe you'd get rid of that ugly green paint job? I know I would if I was skilled enough. If you'd like, you can take into account that I'm about 230-240lbs too, but I'd be just as happy to see what you guys come up with for yourself.

Thank you!
Old 09-13-09, 08:39 PM
GreenGrasshoppr
Opt-in Member

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Old 09-13-09, 09:08 PM
Rainier22

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
that was pretty much the perfect response.
Old 09-14-09, 04:18 PM
Rainier22

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Today when shifting to low gear, the chain skipped past 1st and headed straight to Spokesville. It really screwed up the wheel, and I think it may have even bent the derailleur a bit too. The bike shop recommended I replace the whole bike since it also doesn't fit me very well.

So now I'm stuck between the Kona Dew, Trek FX 7.1, and the Scott Sportster P6. Anyone know a bit about these? They are all with the $400 range. The Dew is $445, plus the dealer would get me some better rims. The Trek is $440, and the Scott is $490. Ug, just looking at those numbers make me uneasy...

Interesting change of topic huh...
Old 09-14-09, 09:53 PM
DX-MAN
Banned

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Get the Dew -- better rims over stock, yo don't mention an extra fee for that....

Look past the numbers, realizing that the $445+ you spend on new will last longer AND give more riding joy than the golden oldie. If you're that sentimental about the old bike, hang it as wall art.
Old 09-15-09, 07:05 AM
hemprider
811ORV

Bikes: felt f25r

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I would check out craigslist or even local bike shops for used road bikes. You could get something fairly decent for $500, especially if you haggle someone down
Old 09-15-09, 09:17 AM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 644 Times in 365 Posts
Originally Posted by Rainier22
Today when shifting to low gear, the chain skipped past 1st and headed straight to Spokesville. It really screwed up the wheel, and I think it may have even bent the derailleur a bit too. The bike shop recommended I replace the whole bike since it also doesn't fit me very well.

So now I'm stuck between the Kona Dew, Trek FX 7.1, and the Scott Sportster P6. Anyone know a bit about these? They are all with the $400 range. The Dew is $445, plus the dealer would get me some better rims. The Trek is $440, and the Scott is $490. Ug, just looking at those numbers make me uneasy...

Interesting change of topic huh...
Yeah, I suspect that it's good advice too.

If you upgrade your old bike what you'll have is an old bike that has a few upgraded parts.

A new bike will have all brand new parts. Every part will have been designed to work with every other part. You'll also get a new bike warranty.

Personally, I LOVE to mess with and update old bikes but, honestly, most component upgrades don't make economic sense.
Old 09-15-09, 03:51 PM
Rainier22

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I put the Dew on layaway today. The bike was actually $405 because the hybrids were 10% off (end of year thing). He swapped me for some better rims and tires to make it $450 - or basically just not on sale anymore. It's still $10 more than the Trek, and the Trek has a better derailleur too. However, Kona seems like a sort of unique company (cussing on youtube videos), and I like that. What really did it was the bike shop. They seem to take care of their customers customers. After you buy a bike, they'll true the wheels and do adjustments for life with no cost. Old time service - how often do you get that anymore?

So... I'm excited. :-)