Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Need Help Deciding what bike to get?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-14, 11:39 AM
Kuria89

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I got three choices i'm currently looking at.

1. Craig s list sale : Cinelli Experience Road Bike Campagnolo Groupo - $1200

Mavic Ksyrium Elite wheelset
Campagnolo Chorus/Record 10-speed groupset, carbon fiber crankset, Record carbon fiber rear derailleur
Chorus carbon seatpost
Fi'zi:k Arione saddle
ITM handlebars
Vittoria Open Corsa CX tires

2. Bianchi VOLPE : $1,299.99

Volpe | Bianchi USA

3. Fuji Feather CX 1.1 2014 $1,099.99

2014 Fuji Feather CX 1.1 - Road Bike Components and Reviews

a. I'm a Chicago commuter and for those who don't know Chicago is notorious for potholes.
b. I'm interested in getting in some legal street races.
c. I'm willing to spend at least 1,500 tops
d. Thank you Guys.
Old 09-12-14, 11:58 AM
thechemist
In the Pain Cave

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I would get the one that fits the best. Personally, I think you can do better with 1500$ tops by looking at some other brands but you may be limited by what your lbs carries.

Have you saved $ for bike clothing,lights,tubes,helmet, shoes,pedals etc.
Old 09-12-14, 12:09 PM
Kuria89

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thank you for your response. Yes I've calculated my cost for all the gear that I will be purchasing but its besides the 1,500, I don't want to spend so much but its what I have set aside for a very good bike. i'm 130 Lbs and i'm a 25 Size for Road bikes. What kind of bikes would you suggests good bang for my buck and are any of these bike options I posted good as far as for the needs of commuting fast to work which is about 5.5 Miles roughly 30 min commute on bike in rain, snow and potholy Chicago.
Old 09-12-14, 01:27 PM
VegasTriker

Bikes: Catrike 700, Greenspeed GTO trike, , Linear LWB recumbent, Haluzak Horizon SWB recumbent, Balance 450 MTB, Cannondale SM800 Beast of the East

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 523 Post(s)
Liked 230 Times in 182 Posts
You are going to do what with a $1,500 bike?

You need a second beater bike for commuting during winter. Either that or your $1,500 road bike will be worth a couple hundred dollars after a winter season or two. I lived in the Chicago suburbs (and surrounding Midwest states) and endured a lot of nasty winters there. I had a good road bike for riding during decent weather and also an older bike (decent but old) so that I didn't have to ride the expensive bike in snow and salt laden slush. I kept that bike for almost 20 years and it had little rust or corrosion on it when I finally gave it away. It would have been garbage long before that had I ridden it year around as my only bike. You may need fenders, something I never see on expensive road bikes.

The other consideration is theft prevention. You need a secure place to keep the bike when you arrive at work. I've had one stolen from a locked bike compound even with the front wheel off the bike and in my office. It wasn't an expensive bike (beater bike in good condition) but the fact that it was in the fenced, locked, screened bike compound and locked to a bolted down bike rack wasn't enough to keep it safe. It wasn't a big enough loss to be a big deal but with a $1,500 bike it sure would have been one.

I took a look at the components on the two new bikes you listed and was surprised to see exactly what you get now days for more than $1K. The Bianchi bike has Shimano Tiagara components which are mid level- 4th from the bottom on a list of 7 for Shimano. It has a 10 speed cassette and a triple crankset for more choices to get a comfortable cadence. The Fuji is only an 18 speed and the drive train components are Shimano Sora - entry level and 3rd from the bottom on the Shimano list of components. I really wouldn't accept entry level components on something this expensive. Also, remember 700C X 28 tires are not great for riding in snow so you might want a second set of wheels with wider tires for winter riding.

Last edited by VegasTriker; 09-12-14 at 01:58 PM. Reason: more info
Old 09-12-14, 01:31 PM
Wilfred Laurier
Señor Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 649 Post(s)
Liked 293 Times in 216 Posts
I assume you mean 25 inch frame
sounds to me like you are one very tall very very skinny person
as you need to be at least 6'2" or so to fit comfortably on a 25" or 63cm bike
Old 09-12-14, 01:37 PM
Little Darwin
The Improbable Bulk

Bikes: Many

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
If you are really interested in racing, get 2 bikes, a cheap durable commuter, and a light weight racer. I didn't look at each of the bikes you listed, but the one I did would be a compromise that wouldn't give you the speed you need to race, but expensive enough to be a magnet for thieves.

People do not seem to realize that their opinion of the world is also a confession of character.
- Ralph Waldo Emerson
Old 09-12-14, 03:22 PM
Kuria89

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thank you, and you are totally right about the snow here in chi town and especially about theft man all my bikes so far have gotten stolen and they weren't even entry levels. Could you help a guy out by maybe heading me the right direction as to what good quality + good components bike I should get because every bike shop i go in here in chitown either want to sell me a piece of crap or point me to the 3k bikes. whats in the market now that is just in the price range of 1k? I'm not really into the whole DIY thing and fixies do not grab my attention at all as for what i'm looking for.
Old 09-12-14, 08:23 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
1st pick the bike shop then the bike brand.