Search
Notices
Track Cycling: Velodrome Racing and Training Area Looking to enter into the realm of track racing? Want to share your experiences and tactics for riding on a velodrome? The Track Cycling forums is for you! Come in and discuss training/racing, equipment, and current track cycling events.

OMG Shoes!

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-17, 07:56 PM
southernfox

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 194 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Giro Empire and Giro Empire SLX. I like em. Stiff, and the SLX are lighter (but velcro, not laces).
Old 11-14-17, 08:34 PM
carleton
Elitist

Mentioned: 88 Post(s)
Quoted: 1386 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 77 Posts
Originally Posted by southernfox
Giro Empire and Giro Empire SLX. I like em. Stiff, and the SLX are lighter (but velcro, not laces).
But, the SLX are available with laces. I have some and really like them. I went looking for the normal Empire but the shop didn't have my size so they sold me the Empire SLX for close to the same price as the Empires to make a customer very happy

Empire SLX Lace-Up Road Bike Shoes by Giro

Giro got it right with these shoes. They are a winner for sure. The fruity colors that change every season or so are a nice touch.
Old 11-14-17, 09:27 PM
Huskey
Great at turning left

Bikes: BT Stealth

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Question: what do you do with the knot. I have Bont vaypor tracks so theres a flap with a ratchet style buckle. So I get to lay the knot back down towards the toe and cover it with the flap.
Old 11-14-17, 09:39 PM
Baby Puke

Bikes: Marin Stelvio, Pogliaghi SL, Panasonic NJS, Dolan DF4, Intense Pro24 BMX

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 365 Post(s)
Liked 87 Times in 58 Posts
I wrap the loose ends over the knot loop and stick them under the laces about 3-4 crosses down the shoe. Straps keep them in place after that. Probably illegal to use tape these days, which is what they did in thee olden times.
Old 11-14-17, 09:40 PM
pierrej

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Huskey
Question: what do you do with the knot. I have Bont vaypor tracks so theres a flap with a ratchet style buckle. So I get to lay the knot back down towards the toe and cover it with the flap.
They have a small elastic band half way up the eyelets for the laces to go into after they're tied. I've never had them come out or any issues in the year that I've used them on the road
Old 11-15-17, 04:24 AM
southernfox

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 194 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by carleton
But, the SLX are available with laces. I have some and really like them. I went looking for the normal Empire but the shop didn't have my size so they sold me the Empire SLX for close to the same price as the Empires to make a customer very happy

Empire SLX Lace-Up Road Bike Shoes by Giro

Giro got it right with these shoes. They are a winner for sure. The fruity colors that change every season or so are a nice touch.
That's the new model. Mine are the previous model.
Old 01-20-18, 06:25 PM
krispenhartung

Bikes: S-Works Venge Dura-Ace DI2, KTM Strada 4000, Fuji Norcom Straight 1.3 (TT), Fuji Track Elite, BMC Trackmachine TR02

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
I've been using the Shimano SH-R321 shoes for a few year now for road and TT and I freakin' love these shoes. I have 5 pairs of shoes in my close that are not obsolete. They have a winer toe box which prevents hot spots for me, and they were heat molded. They are stiff as hell...sprint away.

However, I just picked up some of the new shimano s-phyre rc9s. At first, I was worried because i was getting hot spot on the outside bottom of my feet because they have gone back to a more narrow toe b ox, but that went away after I wore them a few times, and helped by loosening the front boa just a tad. They have eliminated the heat molding, which is convenient, and like the SH-R321s, they are stiff, rated a 12 on Shimano's stiffness scale of 1-12.
Old 02-18-18, 04:27 PM
thehammerdog

Bikes: Road bike is a Carbon Bianchi C2C & Grandis (1980's), Gary Fisher Mt Bike, Trek Tandem & Mongoose SS MTB circa 1992.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 722 Post(s)
Liked 353 Times in 226 Posts
Originally Posted by spartanKid
Seems like there are posts scattered about in different threads related to shoes, but no dedicated thread.

Bonts!
Silly stiff stupid light

What shoes do you ride? Do you like them?

In terms of track specific stuff, I've heard lots of people complain about boa dials popping loose during starts, and also "ultra light weight" shoes not having the stiffest soles. That being said, Kristina Vogel rides road Sidi's with boas and her starts seem to be all right
Got bonts luv but stiff as anything not comfy