Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Cyclocommuting in Kansas City

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-13, 06:25 PM
jfowler85

Bikes: '93 911 Turbo 3.6

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I'm interviewing for a job in KC, MO (near the VA hospital) and have been away from the midwest for nearly a decade; how's the bicycle commuting around KC? How do the drivers treat cyclists, for the most part? I turned up a cycling map and some general info, but nothing that helpful. I'm coming from a crowded megalopolis that requires very defensive riding, and I generally don't ever use trails or marked bike lanes. Thanks for any info!
Old 12-02-13, 09:17 PM
Sirrus Rider
Velocommuter Commando

Bikes: '88 Specialized Sirrus, '89 Alpine Monitor Pass, two '70 Raligh Twenties, '07 Schwinn Town & Country Trike, '07 Specialized Sirrus Hybrid

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by jfowler85
I'm interviewing for a job in KC, MO (near the VA hospital) and have been away from the midwest for nearly a decade; how's the bicycle commuting around KC? How do the drivers treat cyclists, for the most part? I turned up a cycling map and some general info, but nothing that helpful. I'm coming from a crowded megalopolis that requires very defensive riding, and I generally don't ever use trails or marked bike lanes. Thanks for any info!
Look up Axon here on this site I belive he lives out in that area..
Old 12-02-13, 09:48 PM
no1mad 
Thunder Whisperer

Bikes: '06 Kona Smoke

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 275 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
Never been, but I did a Google search for "kc bike commuter". The fourth link actually looks the most promising. It is the KCMO municipal page dedicated to bike and ped resources, including links to the various trails, LBSs, and bicycle parking. https://www.kcmo.org/CKCMO/Depts/Publ...rces/index.htm
Old 12-02-13, 09:54 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5784 Post(s)
Liked 2,578 Times in 1,429 Posts
If you don't get a response from a local on this forum. Look up Volker bicycles, and ask for Britton (the owner). Tell him you're a friend of mine (Francis from Chain-L) and he'll make some time for you.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Old 12-03-13, 11:36 AM
alan s 

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1496 Post(s)
Liked 189 Times in 128 Posts
A car is a car, wherever you ride. It will maim or kill you in a second. I wouldn't expect KC to be safer for biking than anywhere else. Your defensive riding skills will serve you well everywhere.
Old 12-03-13, 11:40 AM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 5888 Post(s)
Liked 3,471 Times in 2,079 Posts
Originally Posted by alan s
A car is a car, wherever you ride. It will maim or kill you in a second. I wouldn't expect KC to be safer for biking than anywhere else. Your defensive riding habits will serve you well everywhere.
Not entirely true. Some cities are worse than others because of the level of traffic or how badly behaved drivers are. I've commuted in six different cities both in the states and abroad (3 in the US of A, 3 in Europe) and there are clear differences. The worst by a long shot was New Orleans; seriously bad drivers who don't respect the rules of the road (in fact NO probably leads the nation in uninsured drivers). My little midwestern city is pretty good. The drivers are fairly courteous. The traffic volume is much, much, much lower than the east coast city I commuted in (Boston). And the roads are reasonably broad so there is plenty of room for cars and cyclists.
Old 12-03-13, 11:48 AM
alan s 

Originally Posted by bikemig
Not entirely true. Some cities are worse than others because of the level of traffic or how badly behaved drivers are. I've commuted in six different cities both in the states and abroad (3 in the US of A, 3 in Europe) and there are clear differences. The worst by a long shot was New Orleans; seriously bad drivers who don't respect the rules of the road (in fact NO probably leads the nation in uninsured drivers). My little midwestern city is pretty good. The drivers are fairly courteous. The traffic volume is much, much, much lower than the east coast city I commuted in (Boston). And the roads are reasonably broad so there is plenty of room for cars and cyclists.
Guess my point is that wherever you ride, the same laws of physics apply. Your bike and body will leave at most a small dent on a car. You alone will suffer the consequences of a collision, regardless of where you ride. Some cities may be safer on average, but this means nothing with respect to each encounter with a car.
Old 12-03-13, 01:36 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7348 Post(s)
Liked 2,469 Times in 1,435 Posts
A car is a car, wherever you ride. It will maim or kill you in a second. I wouldn't expect KC to be safer for biking than anywhere else. Your defensive riding skills will serve you well everywhere.
And this is useful to jfowler85 (the OP) how? He wants to know how it is relative to other places, I'm sure, and it is a pertinent question, for which there are various possible legitimate answers.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 12-03-13, 11:21 PM
jfowler85

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
So, you have never traveled away and remarked "wow, people really drive differently here"? I see a marked difference between drivers here and drivers in OR, WY, and MO, to name a few examples off the top of my noggin. I would expect several factors could contribute to better safety for the cyclist. Sure a car could potentially maim a cyclist, but by that logic so could many other objects, animate or not, which is not a particularly helpful piece of advice. I'm not so sure about my riding style serving me well everywhere...when I take my defensive driving back out to the midwest, I am no longer defensive but a complete ass.
Old 12-03-13, 11:24 PM
jfowler85

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by noglider
And this is useful to jfowler85 (the OP) how? He wants to know how it is relative to other places, I'm sure, and it is a pertinent question, for which there are various possible legitimate answers.
Well stated sir.
Old 12-04-13, 12:10 AM
Rodasch

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I left Kansas City a few years ago, but I lived and rode there for several years. Before that I lived and rode in New York City. My NYC riding was all day every day, so I was used to heavy traffic and some bad attitudes, but I have to say KC seemed more hostile. I don't think I was in more real danger, but I tended to feel like a fish out of water. There wasn't much of a cycle-commuter presence. The environment was even more car-centric than other places I've lived (other cities and towns in addition to New York). Those are purely subjective emotional reactions, and the physical reality of commuting in KC something that you'll adjust to easily enough if you're used to urban riding. Overall, it's entirely doable, and a map and some exploratory riding will teach you all you need to know.
Old 12-04-13, 04:50 AM
irwin7638

Bikes: Sam, The Hunq and that Old Guy, Soma Buena Vista, Giant Talon 2, Brompton

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 48 Posts
I lived worked, went to school and commuted daily in KC for 12 years. It is car centric largely because it is such a huge sprawling metro area. I was told when I was there that it covered more land area than the LA metro area, but had fewer than 1/3 the people. I didn't find it any more or less difficult than any of the other six cities or towns where I have lived. You will learn to pick your routes carefully. Most of the major traffic is on the I35/I70 beltlines around town and on the major boulevards going into the city. I learned to pick my routes around the congestion on the residential streets. It's been over 20 years since I have been there, but I enjoyed living there more than any other place I have been. It's a great place to live.

Marc
Old 12-04-13, 09:06 AM
alan s 

Originally Posted by jfowler85
So, you have never traveled away and remarked "wow, people really drive differently here"? I see a marked difference between drivers here and drivers in OR, WY, and MO, to name a few examples off the top of my noggin. I would expect several factors could contribute to better safety for the cyclist. Sure a car could potentially maim a cyclist, but by that logic so could many other objects, animate or not, which is not a particularly helpful piece of advice. I'm not so sure about my riding style serving me well everywhere...when I take my defensive driving back out to the midwest, I am no longer defensive but a complete ass.
I have ridden all over the place, and no, cars seem to behave pretty much the same. They are equally dangerous wherever they are found. Maybe your experience has been different. Good luck with your new job and new commute. Be safe out there.
Old 12-08-13, 01:49 PM
boomhauer

Quoted: 226 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 32 Posts
I live a couple miles from where your new job is. Been riding daily since the late 90's here. There has been a big improvement in car drivers attitudes here. This is mostly because there are so many more cyclist here than there were 10 yrs ago. Mid-town is a great place to ride (and live). Can't speak much about the burbs. Not much experience there. Lots of pick-up trucks, as you can imagine. I don't feel like a such an outcast anymore here. Lots of cyclist (in mid-town). You will like it. Not a bad Critical Mass ride each month. Cycle lanes are popping up more. If you have an attitude because you are on a bike you will likely pay the price with the drivers.
Old 12-09-13, 03:41 PM
belacqua

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked 50 Times in 35 Posts
I've been bike commuting here for 3 years. There have been some token improvements to cycling infrastructure in midtown. Drivers are generally respectful if they see you. Avoid confrontation.

I hope you get the job. Every cyclist we can add to the KC traffic flow will help. Things are moving in the right direction. I find Boomhauer's post very encouraging.
Old 12-09-13, 10:32 PM
WickedOne513

Bikes: CAAD8 5, Killo Stripped

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I just moved here myself (KC that is) I am commuting here. I find the car traffic pretty understanding and open to bikes. It does help that most lanes roads are two lanes allows you to take the lane a little easier. There are a few trails around here also. I just made a stop at Velo+ another LBS guy is pretty cool and friendly. Hope the job works out for you man best luck.