Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Folding Bikes
Reload this Page >

Folder weights

Search
Notices
Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

Folder weights

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-22, 03:07 PM
jdogg111

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 31 Posts
Folder weights

question for the folding bike afficianos here.sub 20 lb road bikes are everywhere, some folks even have sub 15 lb models, my question is why aren't there sub 20 lb folders on the market, besides the ones you have to drop 3 or 4 Gs on. Zizzos liberate, for a decent price is the lightest I've seen at 23 lbs.maybe I'm just not looking hard enough, but I'd be interested to know the reason be it parts, build, strength, etc.thanks.
Old 03-03-22, 03:28 PM
linberl

Bikes: Trident Spike 2 recumbent trike w/ e-assist

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1321 Post(s)
Liked 374 Times in 288 Posts
Bike Friday will make folders under 20lbs, no problem. You'll pay for the lighter weight at a premium, if they use triple butted cromo and titanium in the build. But you can get their Pocket Rocket Pro drop bar folder very light. For an upright, you can get the pakiT down to 15lbs. Lighter weight = more money.
Old 03-03-22, 04:01 PM
jfouellette

Bikes: 1999 Bike friday NWT, 2009 Bike Friday Tikit, 2023 silverock Dewy, 2008 Dahon Smooth Hound, 2023 Litepro Trifold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 191 Post(s)
Liked 230 Times in 140 Posts
Originally Posted by linberl
Bike Friday will make folders under 20lbs, no problem. You'll pay for the lighter weight at a premium, if they use triple butted cromo and titanium in the build. But you can get their Pocket Rocket Pro drop bar folder very light. For an upright, you can get the pakiT down to 15lbs. Lighter weight = more money.
You can also buy a frame and build it yourself with light weight components.
Old 03-03-22, 04:13 PM
base2 
I am potato.

Bikes: Only precision built, custom high performance elitist machines of the highest caliber. 🍆

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1789 Post(s)
Liked 1,629 Times in 933 Posts
My guess is that for how folders get used weight just isn't that big of a design consideration so long as the final weight isn't too egregious to lift onto the bus.

Think about how much weight mattered for that 1-2mile ride to the bus stop & that mile from the bus stop to your destination. What is that? Maybe 2 sub 10 minute rides, twice per day?

It's not like many folders are designed to be high performance, drop bar, aero racing machines in the first place. The upright posture is moreorless a necessary design requirement derived from the absence of a top tube. That pretty much precludes high performance high speed racing as an intended use case.

(Obviously, there is a such thing as drop bar folders. But, you won't be seeing them in your local crit.)

Last edited by base2; 03-03-22 at 05:44 PM.
Old 03-03-22, 04:48 PM
tcs
Palmer

Bikes: Mike Melton custom, Alex Moulton AM, Dahon Curl

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 1668 Post(s)
Liked 1,821 Times in 1,059 Posts
Originally Posted by linberl
For an upright, you can get the pakiT down to 15lbs.
What's the build spec on that?
Likes For tcs:
Old 03-03-22, 05:24 PM
tcs
Palmer

Bikes: Mike Melton custom, Alex Moulton AM, Dahon Curl

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 1668 Post(s)
Liked 1,821 Times in 1,059 Posts
my question is why aren't there sub 20 lb folders on the market, besides the ones you have to drop 3 or 4 Gs on

LOL! Light, cheap, strong: pick two!

Last edited by tcs; 03-03-22 at 05:37 PM.
Likes For tcs:
Old 03-03-22, 06:38 PM
linberl

Bikes: Trident Spike 2 recumbent trike w/ e-assist

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1321 Post(s)
Liked 374 Times in 288 Posts
Originally Posted by tcs
What's the build spec on that?
Bike Friday's advanced bike builder is down right now but if you go and look up the pakit in advanced view, you will see all the configuraitons. Start at the high end price to see the lightest builds.
Likes For linberl:
Old 03-04-22, 10:40 AM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18376 Post(s)
Liked 4,511 Times in 3,353 Posts
I've seen carbon fiber folding bike frames for sale from time to time.

T1000 Carbon Fiber Folding Bike Disc Brake Frame/fork 20inch BSA Bottom Bracket $669

20inch T1000 Carbon Folding Bike Frame Disc Brake Foldable Bike Carbon Frame BSA $947

With some hunting, one can find lightweight carbon wheels and rims. And everything else to get the bike built up.

Carbon Fiber likely does well with the monocoque frame design, although the hinge would be a challenge.
Old 03-04-22, 12:07 PM
Pinigis 

Bikes: Origami Gazelle, Origami Crane 8, Origami Cricket 7

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 452 Post(s)
Liked 405 Times in 241 Posts
Be careful when comparing manufacturers' weight claims. Some try to fool with small print that says the weight "does not include pedals or saddle", and some just outright lie.
Old 03-04-22, 04:20 PM
hihi2u2

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by jfouellette
You can also buy a frame and build it yourself with light weight components.
Best route, alot of time, folders comes with heavy and outdated components by default.

This guy loss 3Kg on a Brompton. Bringing the weight to 8.9kg (which is sub 20lb). https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=rz24HOdUctA&t=625s
Old 03-09-22, 02:08 AM
pinholecam

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 232 Post(s)
Liked 146 Times in 96 Posts
Carbon folding bikes... as far as the ones I have seen, the joint is not only still metal, but it also has to start early before the actual joint, so there is substantial chunk of metal, meaning that the weight saved isn't that fantastic.

Relatively mid priced with room to become light are the Tyrell FX and Dahon Dash series of mini-velos.

The Bike Friday Pocket Rocket Super Pro is triple butted steel w/ Ti seatpost. I got mine down to 8.5kg (with pedals). If can go lower with a carbon fork and seatpost.
However, it is a very expensive option.

My custom Ti breakaway 700c bike is 7.8kg (includes pedals ), so customizing one for 20" wheels might get it to be lighter.
Old 03-09-22, 03:59 AM
Fentuz

Bikes: Dahon Jetstream p8 (sold), customized Dahon Helios x10, customzed Dahon Smooth Hound x11,customized Dahon Hammerhead 8.0 d7, Planet X Free Ranger (mullet setup 1x11), Planet X Giovanissimi 20 (1x9), Frog 52 (1x9) and Frog 48 1s

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 264 Post(s)
Liked 240 Times in 176 Posts
to answer the OP question (answered in other subjects), folders require frame strengthening due to the hinge mechanisms, the more hinges, arguably the heavier. So the frameset is limiting. Now, yes, there are lighter weight frame but they are low volume so expensive and expensive = less sales so vicious circle.
Then the folders are supposed to be "economical"; unlike race bike or high end MTB, there are less people willing to spend loads of cash on folder so, the manufacturer do not assembled them which top of the range groupset (few Sram Red or Shimano Duraace etc.)
Then, the manufacturer have to mix and match things to give a 20" similar range/gearinch to a 27.5" or 29".

So, if you considered the budget gravel/road bike, aluminium frame fitted with similar groupset, the weight or 20" is pretty similar 10-12kg.

If OP wants a 8-9kg bike, OP will have to start from a lighter frame and then fit premium groupset, descent wheels like Dahon/Tern Kinetix pro (Chinese carbon don't seem to be super light) and fit light weight seatpost and faster basically, weight winny game and this is very custom and pricey.

I my experience, the sweet spot for [weight vs price vs part availability vs low maintenance] is 9.5 to 10.5kg. It is easily achievable when starting from a 12-13kg std commuter bike.