Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Which lever diameter for Peugoet Porteur bars?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-19, 11:27 AM
polymorphself 

Liked 1,096 Times in 530 Posts

Hi,

I'm working on a Peugeot Mixte (early 70s) and am going to order the Porteur bars from VO. 22.2mm or 23.8mm?

Thanks!
Old 09-03-19, 11:30 AM
juvela

Liked 3,522 Times in 2,291 Posts
-----

22.2mm = acier

23.8mm = dural

-----
Old 09-03-19, 11:35 AM
polymorphself 

Originally Posted by juvela
-----

22.2mm = acier

23.8mm = dural

-----
Sorry, I'm not sure what this means.
Old 09-03-19, 11:58 AM
noobinsf 

Bikes: '82 Univega Competizione, '72 Motobecane Grand Record, '83 Mercian KOM Touring, '85 Univega Alpina Uno, '76 Eisentraut Limited

Liked 1,214 Times in 705 Posts
Originally Posted by polymorphself
Sorry, I'm not sure what this means.
Well, he's Frenchifyingly saying that the 22.2 bars are steel while the 23.8 are aluminum, but I don't think that's correct, as both are aluminum. Here is the text from the VO website, and you just have to decide which type of components you want and buy the right diameter bars.

"These bars are available in two tubing diameters, 23.8mm for road components and 22.2mm for mtb/city components:
  • "22.2mm (MTB-size) bars accept MTB brake levers and clamp-on shifters. They do not work with bar-end shifters. The only inverse levers that work are Dia Compe levers in the 22.2mm size.
  • 23.8mm (road-size) bars accept standard inverse brake levers, standard bar end shifters, and 23.8mm city brake levers. In short, anything made for road bars fits. They do not accept MTB levers or shifters."
Old 09-03-19, 12:05 PM
polymorphself 

Originally Posted by noobinsf
Well, he's Frenchifyingly saying that the 22.2 bars are steel while the 23.8 are aluminum, but I don't think that's correct, as both are aluminum. Here is the text from the VO website, and you just have to decide which type of components you want and buy the right diameter bars.

"These bars are available in two tubing diameters, 23.8mm for road components and 22.2mm for mtb/city components:
  • "22.2mm (MTB-size) bars accept MTB brake levers and clamp-on shifters. They do not work with bar-end shifters. The only inverse levers that work are Dia Compe levers in the 22.2mm size.
  • 23.8mm (road-size) bars accept standard inverse brake levers, standard bar end shifters, and 23.8mm city brake levers. In short, anything made for road bars fits. They do not accept MTB levers or shifters."
I did read that. I guess to clarify I wanted to make sure they will fit the stem that comes on this Peugeot? Also, it seems 23.8 is the route to go as it is more universal. Not sure which brake levers will be used yet.
Old 09-03-19, 12:15 PM
noobinsf 

Bikes: '82 Univega Competizione, '72 Motobecane Grand Record, '83 Mercian KOM Touring, '85 Univega Alpina Uno, '76 Eisentraut Limited

Liked 1,214 Times in 705 Posts
Originally Posted by polymorphself
I did read that. I guess to clarify I wanted to make sure they will fit the stem that comes on this Peugeot? Also, it seems 23.8 is the route to go as it is more universal. Not sure which brake levers will be used yet.
Actually, for upright bars, 22.2 is more common, since they are more commonly found on mountain bikes. You'll have an easier time finding brake levers for 22.2. However, VO's own "City Levers" are a good choice for the 23.8 bars. I had a set on a porteur-equipped city bike and liked their feel, and they are not expensive.

You should use calipers to measure your current handlebars at the clamp area to see if they measure 25.0mm or 25.4mm. If they are 25.4, then the VO bars will fit perfectly. If they are 25.0 -- which is likely if the stem and bars are original -- then you should look for a new stem. Incidentally, Origin8 makes its "Classique" quill stem that fits the French quill size and is available with the 25.4 clamp area.
Old 09-03-19, 12:54 PM
polymorphself 

Originally Posted by noobinsf
Actually, for upright bars, 22.2 is more common, since they are more commonly found on mountain bikes. You'll have an easier time finding brake levers for 22.2. However, VO's own "City Levers" are a good choice for the 23.8 bars. I had a set on a porteur-equipped city bike and liked their feel, and they are not expensive.

You should use calipers to measure your current handlebars at the clamp area to see if they measure 25.0mm or 25.4mm. If they are 25.4, then the VO bars will fit perfectly. If they are 25.0 -- which is likely if the stem and bars are original -- then you should look for a new stem. Incidentally, Origin8 makes its "Classique" quill stem that fits the French quill size and is available with the 25.4 clamp area.
There actually aren't handlebars with this bike right now. The stem is the original stem though, which I'd like to use. But ok, 22.2 is making more sense, and I can still buy the City Levers from VO.

Last edited by polymorphself; 09-03-19 at 12:57 PM.