Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Peloton vs Cycling

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Peloton vs Cycling

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-21, 01:59 PM
Jack Tone 

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 389 Post(s)
Liked 255 Times in 165 Posts
Originally Posted by sterlingsam
Spinning (via Soul Cycle, Peloton, Wahoo, Zwift, etc.) and bicycling on the road both use some of the same muscles, but spinning does use more of the hamstrings. This is because of the flywheel, which is typically 14-18kg. Cycling, however, uses a lot more of the body muscles, esp. lower body. Abs, forearms, hamstrings, gluts, shins, calves, and quads. The thighs, in particular, are worked harder cycling. Unless you are pedaling pretty much all the time while cycling, you will achieve better cardiovascular fitness with spinning. Unless you are spinning for hours and hours, however, there is no comparison between the calories burned. Cycling will burn many more calories than spinning, fighting the headwind, avoiding potholes, debris, cars, dogs on leashes, etc., taking on hilly terrain, high mileage. If you have limited time to cycle, as I do, I might suggest riding a heavier bike. I thought I was a pretty good cyclist, until I went to Denmark, rented a bike comparable to what everyone else was riding. In that situation, other than the under 10 year olds, most Danes can blow you away, while holding their cell phone in one hand, a warm beverage in the other! This is because they start riding very early, and they ride in dry weather, the rain, the snow, every condition. Americans, as a whole, tend to ride only in dry weather. That is the difference which accounts for Danes being much strong bicyclists than Americans and their average BMI is reflective of that. Spinning, of course, will not help you develop any outdoor cycling skills, climbing those hills, descending, riding with the wind behind you, riding with the wind in your face, etc. Spinning, however, is a form of exercise where you can literally close your eyes while doing it. That is, there are no hazards, such as cars, and careless drivers opening their doors on you without looking back, potholes, to look out for. This accounts for the majority of spinning riders being women, and majority of outdoor cyclists being men. Easily 80% of spinning riders are women while more than three-quarters of outdoor cyclists are men. Largely a safety concern, but also sexual harassment, clothing, time, etc.
I would be nervous riding in Denmark.
Old 08-10-21, 02:47 PM
Branko D

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 338 Post(s)
Liked 408 Times in 252 Posts
No. Just no.
​​​​​​
Old 08-10-21, 06:13 PM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4413 Post(s)
Liked 4,865 Times in 3,011 Posts
Originally Posted by sterlingsam
Spinning (via Soul Cycle, Peloton, Wahoo, Zwift, etc.)
Wahoo and Zwift are not just “spinning” at a high cadence and low torque. Far from it.
Old 08-11-21, 05:34 PM
bblair

Bikes: Lynskey R230, Trek 5200, 1975 Raleigh Pro, 1973 Falcon ,Trek T50 Tandem and a 1968 Paramount in progress.

Quoted: 379 Post(s)
Liked 395 Times in 234 Posts
I train on Zwift in the winter, but is it fun? No. Hell no.

No awesome scenery. No screamin' downhills. No quirky stores in little towns with great cinnamon rolls. And not much comradery.

But if you are just looking to advance your stats, then it's ok.
Likes For bblair:
Old 08-11-21, 06:02 PM
mattcalifornia

Bikes: 2002 Eddy Merckx Team SC Resto-Mod; 2019 Ibis Hakka MX; 2017 Spot Brand Ajax Belt Drive

Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked 192 Times in 121 Posts
Originally Posted by PeteHski
Wahoo and Zwift are not just “spinning” at a high cadence and low torque. Far from it.
Neither is Peloton. SoulCycle is a little bit different and even less like real cycling than Peloton (it's intended to be sort of an aerobics class that happens to be conducted on spin bikes). Still a great workout, but very different. SoulCycle spends a huge amount of time out of the saddle and doing rhythm work and small upper body exercises - like pushups on the bars and "tap backs" where you move your whole standing body forward and back. Peloton is nothing like that and has a variety of different structured workout classes (such as hill climbing classes, HIIT and Tabata workouts, PowerZone rides, and recovery & pedal technique rides. The hill climbing classes in particular have long sections of heavy climbs at fairly low cadences (60s - 70s).
Old 08-12-21, 06:46 AM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Bikes: Propel, red is faster

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 1575 Post(s)
Liked 1,569 Times in 974 Posts
Originally Posted by mattcalifornia
Peloton is nothing like that and has a variety of different structured workout classes.
Defining structure only in the instance of individual workouts and not long term progression is probably the most important difference between "spin class" or "Pelotons" and people who have Trainingpeaks accounts linked to their Strava and Zwift accounts.

Yes, you could have said accounts and ignore them, but then why spend the money on it at all. Just buy a Peloton if you want to only have structure within individual workouts without any true plans, goals, or progression.

Also, the flywheel thing in the post above is bunk. The Cycleops spin smart trainer bikes have them. The more expensive direct drive smart trainers have them. They're not 24" in diameter because they have a gearing ratio from the drive belt cog to the cog that the belt drive the flywheel/resistance mechanism. On a Kicker it is at least a ratio of 5:1. Probably more. So the flywheel doesn't have to be like a spin bike size but have similar effect. Either way, it's because IRL your bodily blob provides the flywheel effect with the laws of kinetic and potential energy. Objects in motion tend to stay in motion, etc.....
Likes For burnthesheep:
Old 08-12-21, 06:57 AM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3241 Post(s)
Liked 2,512 Times in 1,510 Posts
I went for a ride yesterday to work on my pecs, deltoids and biceps. Looked in the mirror this morning. I think they got smaller.