Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Great Blueberry Pie Challenge - Place And Time To Report

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-06, 05:31 PM
DnvrFox
Banned.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts

Great BLUEBERRY PIE CHALLENGE - PLACE AND TIME TO REPORT

Report your experiences in meeting the Blueberry Pie Challenge herein.

Pictures and narrative, please!

Last edited by DnvrFox; 09-15-06 at 06:15 PM.
Old 09-16-06, 07:03 AM
DnvrFox
Banned.

Who will be the first?

I've updated the list - did I miss anyone?

https://members.aol.com/bfn50gallery/tradition.htm

I notice that NONE of the Diego clan has signed up!
Old 09-16-06, 07:05 AM
stapfam
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by DnvrFox
Who will be the first?

Looks like me again, but as I am 6 hours in front you- no wonder.

My idea of an "Olde English Cafe" had to go by the board- Closed for Summer holidays. So decided to get out for a bit more milage on the road bike. Things seemed to be OK. Legs working- lungs working- bike working but HRM still playing up. Decided to go out on a flat run to push myself a bit. Still a few slopes along the coast but got up to around 21mph as a riding average and at 20 miles I had averaged 17.1mph. No decent pie cafe in Bexhill so back along the coast and I found out why average was so high as I now had a headwind. 7 miles back and to a bakery/ cafe that I used to frequent when I was on the road as a rep. Had the Autumn Fruits Crumble. Nearest thing to a pie that I fancied on the menu. I did fancy the full breakfast but today is pie day. Lashings of Custard to go with it and it was fantastic. Could not say the same about the Coffee though so decided to leave the coffee and go to my favourite coffee house about 3 miles up the coast. Average speed to here was 16.9 so with a good helping of Pie and a coffee to come, slowed down. After coffee it was on the way home but I can see why MUPs are not popular with regular cyclists in the day, it was packed with annoying "I own the path" walkers and I am glad that I only use this path at nights now.

Total milage covered of 41miles and another milestone in that the Road bikes computer has today gone over the 1,000 mark. Haven't had this bike for 3 months yet and the computer did not go on immediately. Then there are the MTB's That have been used in that period but not a working computer on them. This road bike is serving its purpose but Winter approaches so time to get muddy shortly.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
pie.JPG (21.1 KB, 74 views)

Spike Milligan

Last edited by stapfam; 09-16-06 at 07:19 AM.
Old 09-16-06, 07:07 AM
DnvrFox
Banned.

Our very first!

That looks delicious.
Old 09-16-06, 09:47 AM
DnvrFox
Banned.

REPORT:

Temperature 47F. Perfect for a ride. Rode up Sulphur Gulch Trail to the top, returned and took the street over to Village Inn. One piece of Tripleberry Pie which includes blueberries.

Rode back to Sulphur Gulch. Lots of bicycle activity as our town is host to a nationally recognized bicycle omnium this weekend. Prize money of $60,000.

The police had the street blocked for the race, but as soon as they saw me they opened the street, thinking, of course, that I was one of the racers. So, I headed back to SUlphur Gulch Trail and then the Cherry Creek Trail and returned home.

16.25 miles

Short ride - wife has a Honeydew list you wouldn't believe!

Last edited by DnvrFox; 09-16-06 at 10:23 AM.
Old 09-16-06, 10:00 AM
roccobike
Bike Junkie

Location: South of Raleigh, North of New Hill, East of Harris Lake, NC

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Specialized Roubaix, Giant OCR-C, Specialized Stumpjumper FSR, Stumpjumper Comp, 88 & 92Nishiki Ariel, 87 Centurion Ironman, 92 Paramount, 84 Nishiki Medalist

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 27 Posts
-Yes I rode over 15 miles.
-Yes I stopped at a cafe and had a piece of pie.
-No they didn't have blueberry.
Hey, 2 out of 3 isn't bad!
Nice short 17.5 mile ride. Met a 'B' rider named John along the way. We tagged for about 6 miles then he went his planned route and I went mine. I stopped at a cafe in downtown Apex. The best I could do was Key Lime pie, after all, I am in the south. It was really tasty. After that I hopped on the bike and peddled home.

Edit: John was not aware it was International Ride for Pie day. Guess he's just not well informed, but still a good cyclist.
Attached Images
Roccobike & Pie.jpg (38.4 KB, 84 views)
Old 09-16-06, 10:03 AM
never_be_rich
Older than dirt...

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I am the pancake guy! Out at 6:20 AM which is the civil dawn, when you can see. Rode 30.4 miles (48.9K sounds so much better) on my old no name MTB. (Time & speed, who cares, I am only racing Father Time and I expect him to win in the end). Did a country ride, the cows were not up yet. The sun rise was not that spectacular, too much haze. Had a great blueberry pancake breakfast near the end of the ride at Bob Evans, which is a mid-west USA chain known for great breakfasts. Yes, and I got the 50+ discount.
Attached Images
HPIM1678-1.JPG (96.2 KB, 61 views)
HPIM1677-1.JPG (65.1 KB, 54 views)
HPIM1674-1.JPG (87.1 KB, 55 views)
Old 09-16-06, 10:10 AM
RockHammer

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Well this is my longest ride to date in my young cycling career, 15 miles across town and back at about 9 mph on my new Trek Nav 100 comfort bike. My butt was numb by the time I got home. I then spent about 1/2 hour lifting weights. If that doesn't earn pie, I don't know what would. We have a retirement party this afternoon for someone else not me. I'll pick up the best pie in town there. Sorry no pictures but I sure like this idea of earning pie through biking. Now I'm looking for good pie destinations around town.

Edit: It ended up being pecan pie as I hoped it would be.

Last edited by RockHammer; 09-16-06 at 04:24 PM.

Old 09-16-06, 10:47 AM
guybierhaus

Bikes: Flat bar road bike, trail bike and MTB

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The plan was to ride 30 miles with son in law and his father. It was the annual ShooFly Classic ride, and we be eating shoo fly pie at finish. However, I did not make it. I did not ride. Attached photo tells why. I and bike are ok. Other guy owes me a car.

Last edited by guybierhaus; 02-18-07 at 02:06 PM.
Old 09-16-06, 10:52 AM
DnvrFox
Banned.

Originally Posted by guybierhaus
The plan was to ride 30 miles with son in law and his father. It was the annual ShooFly Classic ride, and we be eating shoo fly pie at finish. However, I did not make it. I did not ride. Attached photo tells why. I and bike are ok. Other guy owes me a car.
Ouch!

So glad you are okay.

You are officially an honorary member of the Pie Club.
Old 09-16-06, 12:09 PM
Little Darwin
The Improbable Bulk

Bikes: Many

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
The road was still wet this morning, and I don't like riding more than a mile or two on wet roads due to the interaction of my weight and wet brakes.

I did however make it to the gym and on an exercycle did 15.4 files (1 hour plus 5 minute cooldown).

After a shower, I went to a local cafe that I thought would be likely to have pie. I had a couple to choose from, Pumpkin (my favorite pie), Coconut Cream and Peach Harvest (which included peaches, apples and cherries). I opted for the Peach Harvest being the closest to blueberry... I had it warmed, with a glass of milk.

Itg was wonderful!
Attached Images
Pie.JPG (70.4 KB, 60 views)

People do not seem to realize that their opinion of the world is also a confession of character.
- Ralph Waldo Emerson
Old 09-16-06, 12:24 PM
wolf_river_mike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My loop was 40.77 miles today. At the halfway point I stopped and had a nice piece of lemon merainge (sp?) pie. That's the only pie I remembered after the waitress rambled off the pie list. No pictures, which may be a good thing... imagine a clydsdale in a long scragly beard inhaling a slice tall merainge pie... not a pretty picture . Bested my time today by 9 minutes though. Not sure if it was the thought of pie at the turnaround or the slick tires I replaced my knobbies with.
Old 09-16-06, 12:26 PM
Digital Gee
I need more cowbell.

Bikes: 2015 Specialized Sirrus Elite

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My ride was glorious but brief -- just a tad over 15 miles. I went to my favorite starting point, Balboa Park, only to find it overwhelmed with people getting ready to do a walk for cancer or heart disease (never quite could figure out which one!). I had to do some weaving and bobbing in heavy stopped traffic, which was actually fun. Finally I broke free and headed over to a neighborhood aptly named Bankers Hill, which is where one gets to see how the other half lives.

Returned home for the deep dish pie, and soon discovered that Mrs. Smith and I have a completely different notion of how large a slice should be (or how deep the dish!). You can see that she's waaaaaay too conservative for a cyclist's needs!

So, I had two slices. Funny how big they look in the picture on the box, and how small in real life. Anyway, you can also see the book I'm currently enjoying, which seemed so apt for today.

Felt like all of you were out there with me today!
Attached Images
pie.jpg (79.2 KB, 83 views)

Proud member of the original Club Tombay
Old 09-16-06, 12:33 PM
centexwoody 

Bikes: 2015 Scissortail hardtail MTB, 2013 XL Longbike USS recumbent, 2010 Hans Schneider steel randonneur road bike, 2005 Surly LHT;

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
+ 1 & you finally had your son-in-law & his dad to ride with you, too. Sorry that the wreck happened but really glad you're okay & especially your pimped ride is undamaged.
Old 09-16-06, 12:53 PM
centexwoody 

Bikes: 2015 Scissortail hardtail MTB, 2013 XL Longbike USS recumbent, 2010 Hans Schneider steel randonneur road bike, 2005 Surly LHT;

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Bonn berry pie

Woke up with fever & bronchitis today so didn't get any miles in. Good weather, poor health - too much work last week, I guess, so my body tells me.

I DID however pick up berry pie yesterday at a konditorei and got out of bed to have peppermint tea & PIE made from Himbeere (raspberries), a hint of Preiselbeere (cranberries) and a local berry just in season that seems to be like our central Texas dewberries that grow along the RR rights-of-way. The crust was almost but not quite Greek filo butter crust, the white cream is some kind of delicious custard. The berries are in a clear mildly-sweet aspic on top of all. The bakery lady was very reluctant to let me take it home with me yesterday, worried that it would not survive the walk home - she would have preferred I ate yesterday in the coffee shop to keep its perfection intact.

Since I failed to ride the requisite 15 miles, you guys may kick me off the team or whatever, I'm taking a decongestant & going back to bed...but the PIE was the highlight of my day!
Attached Images
Bonn berry pie.jpg (80.0 KB, 59 views)
Old 09-16-06, 01:32 PM
Artkansas 
Pedaled too far.

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
An interesting ride. I rode from my apartment in west Little Rock to downtown and then back out to work in west Little Rock. So it was like commuting, the long way. I stopped at a Bank of America on the way to deposit my paycheck. Outside there was a nice Cannondale. It was early and uncrowded in the bank, so for once, bicyclists were in the majority! We commented on the low gas prices and the surge in bicycle popularity. I arrived at Community Bakery on Main Street about 15 minutes early. We were scheduled to have a planning meeting for the Bicycle Advocacy of Central Arkansas's booth at the Natural State Expo next month. I went in, they had quite a selection of goodies. But the only pies were whole pies, so I decided that in the spirit of things, a blueberry muffin was most appropriate. I also selected an apple danish as it was pie-like.

4 of the 5 people at the meeting pedaled in so there were quite a few bikes parked in front of the bakery when we were assembled. One member was watching a neighbor's baby, so we excused her driving there. ;o)

The meeting was productive. Lots of good ideas and energy for the exhibit.

Riding back was nice. The streets were quiet. I passed Little Rock Central High School where 49 years ago Governor Orval Faubus called out the state's National Guard to surround the school and prevent any black students from entering. A woman was photographing it. Later I passed a large thrift store so I stopped to see if they had any bicycles because I'm looking for a cheap one to use for riding and parking in downtown Little Rock. But it looked like the thrift store had gone out of business. Twelfth Street turned into Kanis Road and Kanis climbed up into the hills becoming a very rural mountain road that a mile later empties out into one of the local Hospitals. Stopped at a light I had one of those wonderful moments when your heart has had a good work out and you are just feeling extra good and the sky is bluer than usual. I pedaled on to work, passing the FBI headquarters and enjoying the nicely wooded yet uncrowded industrial park. And then I was here at work. It was about an 18 mile ride.

Last edited by Artkansas; 09-16-06 at 07:57 PM.
Old 09-16-06, 04:25 PM
BluesDawg
just keep riding

Bikes: 2018 Black Mountain Cycles MCD,2017 Advocate Cycles Seldom Seen Drop Bar, 2017 Niner Jet 9 Alloy, 2015 Zukas custom road, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
Started the day by joining my fellow bike club members in clearing some new MTB trails. Hurried back home to clean up, cook the pie and prep the bikes for the ride. Several club members met my wife, my son and I at the Coopers fire station about a half mile from my house. We set out for an easy 12.5 miles around Coopers, listening to the Georgia football game on the radio I had strapped on Uncle Duke's rear rack. Next we stopped by my house for the pie which had been cooling as we rode. Fresh-baked blueberry pie and vanilla ice cream - it just don't get much better than that! Went back out for another 14 miles to work off the pie. Kept listening as the Bulldogs had an easy day, beating UAB 34-0. Got home, cleaned up and now I'm watching LSU vs. Auburn. I predict the Tigers will win.

Last edited by BluesDawg; 09-16-06 at 04:30 PM.
Old 09-16-06, 05:55 PM
bcoppola
King of the molehills

Bikes: '04 Giant OCR2, DIY light tourer built on on Scattante cross frame, '87 Schwinn World Sport F/G conversion, '85 Schwinn Super Le Tour

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The sun promised by The Weather Channel failed to appear by noon. In fact, it looked like rain. And my mood, frankly, was as glum as the sky. Why am I doing this silly ride just because of a bunch of guys I have never met and am unlikely to ever meet? My wife is rolling her eyes at the idea, too. If I'm going to bike, dammit, I should be toning my thighs on some hills. Oh, yeah, pie. I loaded the bike atop the mighty Subaru WRX wagon securely in the Yakima carrier and headed to Marine City, on the St. Clair River across which is Canada. Route: Marine City to St. Clair, where there is an Achatz restaurant. Achatz is an honored name in pie hereabouts. Whatver the echt Deutch pronounciation is supposed to be, the locals call it "ACK-itz".

Today's ride was, by intention, a leisurely affair. I took the Trek 7200 instead of the roadie, and eschewed Lycra for street clothes (except for those nifty padded bike undies). Boy, after riding the OCR 2 exclusively for two months the hybrid was soooo cushy.

Took M-29 out of Marine City which followed the river before going about a half mile inland. Past the humonguos Detroit Edison generating plant. Then noticed a MUP following the road along the other side. Crossed and got on that. Not that I had to - the road is smooth with a wide, paved shoulder and light traffic. Very bike-friendly. The MUP went to the St. Clair city limit. Back on the road.

St. Clair has a pretty riverfront park with some bronze sculptures. Fishing and watching the freighters go by are favoite pastimes. But first, lunch. Surprisingly good chili (not bland but, sorry purists, it had beans). The pie: Five Berry with vanilla ice cream and a good cup of coffee.

Once out of the city after loitering in the park, I took the MUP all the way back to Marine City. Nice path. Total miles: a bit over 20. Average speed: a bit over 13mph. Like I said -- leisurely!

And wouldn't you know it -- the sun came out as I was driving home! But my mood was much improved regardless.

DG -- great book, I read it last month.

Old 09-16-06, 06:04 PM
cooker
Prefers Cicero

Bikes: 1984 Trek 520; 2007 Bike Friday NWT; misc others

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 3943 Post(s)
Liked 117 Times in 92 Posts
I didn't scout out a site ahead of time, so like the kittens, I had no pie - still it was a good day. I was free to set out about 3 pm. I asked Robb if he wanted to come along and he agreed so I got out the beater mountain bike to match his knobbies, and it took a few minutes to load up.

I had a vague idea I would try Lakeview Lunch...a sort of diner/restaurant at Ossington and Dundas. We headed west from Avenue Rd and Lawrence to Glencairn station, followed the paths above the subway down the ravine to St. Clair, took the shortcut from Connable to Walmer, went under the railroad tracks at Dupont and Howland and meandered down to the restaurant, only to find no pie. I tried the Nova Era portuguese bakery a couple of blocks west, but they had no blueberry items either, so I settled for a fruit bun and iced cappucino, and then back on the road.

We went south on Dovercourt to Sudbury, east on King to Bathurst, north to Bloor so Robb could have a smoked meat sandwich (Pure Pwnage, for those in the know) and then followed a route not too far from our southbound one, back up to home. 17 mi.

EDIT: we bought some blueberry pie this evening and it is warming up as I type this.
Attached Images
piepic.JPG (74.0 KB, 65 views)
pie.JPG (60.9 KB, 54 views)

Last edited by cooker; 09-16-06 at 08:50 PM.
Old 09-16-06, 06:08 PM
quickKarl
zugig

Bikes: Orbea Orca, Rocky MT Cross, BMC Pro,

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My 4 plus Sat. ride group left for our 1st annual 5 county century at 8:00. 20 of us showed up for the ride. the weather was perfect today, cool and sunny with little wind at the start. we rode to the fist stop, Caseys at 45 miles. i searched the shelves and found the Hostess pies and thay had Blueberry. I bought it and some Gatoraid. everyone looked at me funny as i ate a couple bites of the pie. i told them i didnt have time to explan. i didnt finish the pie eating a Cliff bar instead.
Wish we had see a cafe.
we finished the century at a 21 mph ave. the wind had picked up after our turn to head back and luckly it was on our back and helped pick up the pace.

Karl
Great day and Great Ride, just wish i could have found real pie..
Old 09-16-06, 06:13 PM
jwbnyc
Señor Wences

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Stepped out on the terrace to find the forecasted rain nowhere to be found (there is power in pie).

Grabbed the bike and headed down to the Westside Bike Path (gratuitous self portrait).

Made it to work (half day).

(gratuitous pie shop porn)

No Blueberry!

They had Apple Sourcream and Vanilla Ice Cream.

Beat it back up to the Bronx via the Eastside Speedway (gratuitous Bicyclette porn).

There are another 140 photos (mostly gratuitous).

Very surprised that they didn't have Blueberry. Bit of a let down, actually.

Total ride distance=30 Miles approx.

Oh, and.... Beer, Cheese (gratuitous submission for next 50+ theme ride):

Last edited by jwbnyc; 09-16-06 at 07:52 PM.
Old 09-16-06, 07:42 PM
cooker
Prefers Cicero

Bikes: 1984 Trek 520; 2007 Bike Friday NWT; misc others

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 3943 Post(s)
Liked 117 Times in 92 Posts
Originally Posted by guybierhaus
Other guy owes me a car.
Whoah!
Old 09-16-06, 08:24 PM
CrossChain

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Reporting in. I had to go in to work for a training day today. Got home and hit the road. Did a 25 miler passing many cows very uneventfully and heard then saw a "V" of geese overhead, got back in, and went for the pie. Eating a second piece even as I sit here at the keyboard. Some for breakfast if there's any left.

Anyway, good idea.....let's do it again. Blueberry pie....
Attached Images
david and pie.jpg (83.1 KB, 73 views)
Likes For CrossChain:
Old 09-16-06, 09:14 PM
dauphin

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
What should have been a great day, eventually became the "century from hell" at today's Auburn Century. Seafoam (still on injured reserve) dropped me off at the starting point and I got underway at 7:08am. The first 20 miles went really well and then there was "the hill". I ended up stopping four times trying to ride up this hill. The first time, I stopped to help a man who had fallen off of his bike on the steep slope. The other times were just due to exhaustion. Eventually I made it to the top and continued the long climb up to the reservoir. Since there had been a big fire all week, the route was changed and we had to go back the way we came and down the giant hill only to climb the other giant hill on the other side of the river! This one is not quite as steep but it was three miles back up. I made it up this one but the legs were pretty much shot when I got up at the top. From there it was another 15 miles to the final turn around point. Turns out the route change basically doubled the amount of climbing today. It was on the way to the final turn around that I realized that I was the very last rider attempting to finish the 109 mile course. I knew I was tired, just didn't think I was that slow. At the final turn around (mile 75) I knew I still had a ways to go. At this point, my knees really started to ache and my lower back was started to yell at me too. Riding along, I was wondering why I had paid for this punishment when I could have done it on my own for free. Heck I was on my own now! About mile 85, I had to slow down to go around a car stopped at a stop sign. As I did, I slipped on some loose graven and went down scraping my leg and my bike. I got up, dusted myself off, and got back on for the remaining miles. About mile 95, I decided I had had enough and pulled into a parking lot and called seafoam and asked her to come and get me. As I got off the phone, I looked down and saw about 8 goatsheads in my front tire......it was soon flat. I took off my helmet and sat down to wait for seafoam. Final mileage total was 97.25. In a few minutes my ride arrived and we finally got home in the dark. The saving grace of the day is that seafoam has a blueberry pie in the oven...
Old 09-16-06, 09:42 PM
rck

Bikes: cannondale 400st, dean el diente, specialized hybrid

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
skipper and I did our traditional Irma's route over the hills and dales of sw wi. T'was a beautiful day for it as it was sunny, cool, and only moderately windy. Alas, no blueberry to be had! On the other hand, fresh apple pie is mighty fine and they didn't even boot me out for licking the plate!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.