Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Buying a New Bike

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Buying a New Bike

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-04, 08:41 PM
testcase

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Buying a New Bike

Hi,

I am a new member, so I think it maybe thought of as a silly question, but if you would reply, I will appreciate it.

I plan to do some riding this summer. However, since I dont plan to use it for more than a couple days a week for the next 2-3 months, I dont want to spend a lot on the buying the bike.
I was thinking of going to Target or Walmart and buying maybe a Schwinn or one of the others.

I just wanted some thoughts on whether those bikes are any good for occasional riding? Or should I go with one of the more expensive ones? If I really get into cycling, I could always buy a more expensive one at a later date.

Thanks,
Jim.
Old 06-23-04, 08:48 PM
eortiz

Bikes: Pinarello Paris

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If you plan to buy something a little more expensive once you really get into cycling, I'd suggest get something inexpensive. A bike that you won't feel bad giving it away or selling it for cheap. That way you won't get stuck with it IF you really decide to go serious. However, I'd stay away from WalMart or Target even if you are thinking of getting something inexpensive. Ask around and there might be someone trying to get rid of a second bike (EBay?)
Old 06-23-04, 09:48 PM
jshct
Diesel Power

Bikes: Specialized Allez Elite 2003, Merckx Majestic

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
JIm,
The problem with the dept. store bikes is that they use parts that are not of good quality. For instance.....the brakes may be stamped metal rather than forged, the gears and other components may not function as well as that of a quality bike. This will become an issue where strength, durability, and efficiency are important.If there is any chance that you may get into cycling on a more serious level, I'd go for a few more $$ and get something you can live with for a while. You can get a pretty respectable bike for about $500 to 900. Check out Supergo.com, Bikesdirect.com. These bikes have quality frames with good components. Don't waste your good money on inferior products.
Old 06-23-04, 09:54 PM
testcase

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by eortiz
If you plan to buy something a little more expensive once you really get into cycling, I'd suggest get something inexpensive. A bike that you won't feel bad giving it away or selling it for cheap. That way you won't get stuck with it IF you really decide to go serious. However, I'd stay away from WalMart or Target even if you are thinking of getting something inexpensive. Ask around and there might be someone trying to get rid of a second bike (EBay?)
Thanks.
Any idea what might be a good brand/bike to get as a cheap bike on ebay or through classifieds? Any particular reason to stay away from Walmart and Target?
Old 06-23-04, 10:07 PM
neilthemeal

Bikes: Wanta Kompact steel w/ carbon stays

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'd say look at ebay...
just looking at all bikes heres some that are fairly cheap but will most definately better quality than Wal-Mart. If I were you brands shouldn't really matter so heres some off-brand bikes that are built up with the same components as larger name bike companies...
https://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...683822525&rd=1

https://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=7298&item=3684289360&rd=1'

https://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...683939032&rd=1

none of these bikes are amazing but will get you going faster than a mountain bike and will not cost an arm and a leg. I would say don't go for Trek(they go for practically retail on ebay). Otherwise just go to Wal Mart and ride for the summer and think about a new bike later.
Old 06-24-04, 12:28 AM
testcase

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I had thought Schwinn's were good bikes? No? Am I wrong?
Old 06-24-04, 07:54 AM
shokhead

Bikes: 2012 Trek Madone 6.2

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If you by a performance,K2's are a good bike.
Old 06-24-04, 08:37 AM
SchreiberBike
One knee is enough

Bikes: 1978 Fuji - now fixed and pegged. 1980s Cannondale Touring - pegged with 18 speeds. 2001 Cannondale CADD 3 - not being ridden

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by testcase
I had thought Schwinn's were good bikes? No? Am I wrong?
Schwinn was a great name for nearly a century (making good bikes at a variety of quality levels). They went bankrupt some years back and their name was purchased only for marketing purposes. Bikes built now under that name have no relationship with that history.
Old 06-24-04, 08:41 AM
SchreiberBike
One knee is enough

Bikes: 1978 Fuji - now fixed and pegged. 1980s Cannondale Touring - pegged with 18 speeds. 2001 Cannondale CADD 3 - not being ridden

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by testcase
I was thinking of going to Target or Wilmar and buying maybe a Schwinn or one of the others.
This recent thread LINK answers that question quite well.

- and welcome to the forum.