Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

speed drafting = not drafting

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-04, 07:40 PM
herefishyfishy

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I was invited to a group ride but dont know if I am in enough shape (I just started cycling). The group goes about 20-21mph on a 30 mile trip and they said I can draft all I want. What speed should I have to be able to average for 30 miles on a solo ride not drafting to be able to keep up with the group?

Thanks a lot,

Alex
Old 06-24-04, 07:53 PM
Laggard
Lance Hater

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Just go do it. The worst thing will be that you get dropped. Happens to everyone.
Old 06-24-04, 08:41 PM
Smoothie104
Elitist Jackass

Bikes: Cannondale 2.8, Specialized S-works E5 road, GT Talera

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm with Laggard. but if you need encouragement, if they are going 20 to 21 you're going to be working as if your riding 17-18. If there are hills, this is a different story, but don't worry about the numbers, just go ride, and make sure you know the route!
Old 06-24-04, 10:17 PM
MacMan
Sick ... again

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
That's not to bad a speed. In fact, it may be perfect since you can draft - it'll be more than you're used to possibly but if so you'll improve very quickly. Like the others said, know the route and just do it. If you get dropped don't beat yourself up over it, but continue to ride with them on future outings. Pretty soon you won't be getting dropped at all - assuming you even do. I bet you end up suprising yourself!
Old 06-24-04, 10:22 PM
SchreiberBike
One knee is enough

Bikes: 1978 Fuji - now fixed and pegged. 1980s Cannondale Touring - pegged with 18 speeds. 2001 Cannondale CADD 3 - not being ridden

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Depends on your tolerance for punishment. If you get dropped will you be able to find your way back home?

It might be worth checking at LBSs to see if other less intense group rides are available. When you are learning to ride with a group, it's nicer to be one of the stronger riders than one of the weaker ones.

That being said, nothing makes you stronger than riding with folks who are better than you are.
Old 06-24-04, 11:02 PM
pauly
Giant OCR2

Bikes: Giant OCR2

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I agree with what everyone has said. Just ride, if anything getting dropped will only motivate you to come back week after week until you can drop somebody else! Eventually your fitness will be at a higher level and riding at 20-21 won't seem difficult anymore.
Old 06-25-04, 01:51 AM
jedi_rider
Nut Job

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
face your fears. don't run away from it. just know the route so, if you get dropped, then you can still finish with pride. eventually, you'll work your way up and even take a turn up front to help pull the group.
Old 06-25-04, 02:24 AM
nutbag

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
"A guy once told me..........."

that drafting at moderate speeds requires only about 60-70% work-rate of the person in front of you (depending, of course, on wind speed any direction), so maybe you could work it out from this.

I have the data somewhere -- I'll dig it up later.

Old 06-25-04, 07:09 AM
oxologic

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by nutbag
"A guy once told me..........."

that drafting at moderate speeds requires only about 60-70% work-rate of the person in front of you (depending, of course, on wind speed any direction), so maybe you could work it out from this.

I have the data somewhere -- I'll dig it up later.
The guy in front saves a little too.
Old 06-25-04, 07:38 AM
spazegun2213

Bikes: '11 Allez Comp, '09 Pinarello Pista

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Really, draft! its good practice and it will improve your skills. Also, it will keep you with the group so you can learn even more. I think everyone has been droped at least once, and its not the greatest feeling but you try a lot harder the next ride.

drafting is good!
Old 06-25-04, 07:47 AM
Crack'n'fail
Photog Extraordinaire

Bikes: Santa Cruz Chameleon, Cannondale R800 (CAAD4) with Dura-Ace upgrade

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
you've got to ride in groups and learn to draft if you ever want to be able to do it. The first time I ever went on a group ride I was so tense from trying to hold a wheel that I felt like I had worked harder than on solo rides, but our average speed ended up about the same as what I would do alone. Now that i'm more comfortable with being that close to someone on the road, I can relax and enjoy the ride and I have to tell you, there's nothing quite like a good pace line on the flats to make you make you feel like a pro. It's a blast. Get out and try it.
Old 06-25-04, 09:04 AM
herefishyfishy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
cool! thanks for the encouragement everyone!
Old 06-25-04, 09:33 AM
SteveE
Veni, Vidi, Vomiti

Bikes: Serotta Legend Ti, Pivot Vault, Salsa Spearfish

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Another suggestion: Don't let a gap open up between you and the rider in front of you. If the pace is high and you see a gap forming between the rider you're drafting and the riders in front of him/her, go around the rider and bridge up as soon as possible. Once you're out in the wind on your own, you're probably going to be OTB (off the back). Just make sure that you don't cut off any riders who are trying to pass you.

If they're a more sociable bunch, you might be able to ask them to ease up in order for for to hang in. It's hard to say how your group will react, as they're all different.