Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Off to work!

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Off to work!

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-24, 04:28 PM
PaulH

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked 93 Times in 63 Posts
Off to work!

Our office has now entered a hybrid state in which commuting is partial and often optional. First commute post Covid! Once again, I rode the hairy spiral ramp up and down the Case Bridge (amazingly, after four years, I still have the skills for it) What a treat to ride across the Potomac, pass the famous cherry blossoms, and settle in to our new office, which is smaller because only about a third of us are there at any one time. It was a busy day with colleagues constantly stopping by for consultation and lunch with one of our stakeholders. It's easier to work on a project when I stay at home. On the other hand, I think I can be more creative when working in the same place as my friends. One thing for sure is that beginning and ending my day with a ride makes for better work-life balance. It's great to be back!
Likes For PaulH:
Old 04-14-24, 02:02 PM
essiemyra

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 172 Times in 91 Posts
That is one of the best reasons to work. It gives you a destination to ride. Also when it is cold I would still ride because I had to work, and if I had to work riding was my choice of transportation.
Old 04-14-24, 03:34 PM
50PlusCycling

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 556 Post(s)
Liked 830 Times in 416 Posts
I’ve been working from home since 2016, my office is next to my bedroom. That’s a blessing here in Tokyo where millions are crowded into trains and busses every day, though nearly 2 million do at least part of their commute by bicycle. I live in a tall building, and have a great view of the skyline to enjoy while I work.

My work is now more or less part time, and I get 3 days each week during which I can enjoy a long ride.