Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Commuter Bicycle Pics

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Commuter Bicycle Pics

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-16, 03:06 PM
plumberroy

Bikes: Surly long haul trucker, Surly steamroller,Huffy Catalina, Univega Alpina 501. Gravity deadeye monster, Raliegh sport , Electra loft 1

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 607 Post(s)
Liked 298 Times in 181 Posts
Originally Posted by lost_in_endicot
Except on the really windy days that we've been having here, it's become my favorite bike to ride to work. 20 MPH + headwinds aren't much fun on this bike!

The nickel plate looks awesome! If I thought I could take a s/s up my hill, that's the one I would get.
With my job the 12 miles to work isn't practical to ride a bike there are days that I may spend 5-6 hours after normal quitting time running a big sewer machine and you wouldn't have the energy to ride home , and there isn't anyone who could come get me
Not any major hills here . But many places are rolling hills. 3 of the five bikes in my stable are single speed the Loft 1, a Surly Steamroller, and a bikesdirect fatbike the steamroller I played with free wheels till I found a tooth count that works for a fat old guy it has the original 46 tooth on the crank and a 20 on the back . The loft 1 comes 44 tooth on the crank and 20 tooth on the back the gravity fat bike is " I want a fat bike but don't do enough off road to justify the cost of a good one" It is geared 32 on the crank and 22 on the wheel
Roy
Old 04-16-16, 07:02 PM
lost_in_endicot

Bikes: Electra Loft 7i, Fuji Crosstown 2.5, Gravity Liberty FB, Schwinn Voyageur

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by plumberroy
With my job the 12 miles to work isn't practical to ride a bike there are days that I may spend 5-6 hours after normal quitting time running a big sewer machine and you wouldn't have the energy to ride home , and there isn't anyone who could come get me
Not any major hills here . But many places are rolling hills. 3 of the five bikes in my stable are single speed the Loft 1, a Surly Steamroller, and a bikesdirect fatbike the steamroller I played with free wheels till I found a tooth count that works for a fat old guy it has the original 46 tooth on the crank and a 20 on the back . The loft 1 comes 44 tooth on the crank and 20 tooth on the back the gravity fat bike is " I want a fat bike but don't do enough off road to justify the cost of a good one" It is geared 32 on the crank and 22 on the wheel
Roy
That would be a great way to start off my day tomorrow..."Morning, sweetie, there's this bike I've been looking at..." It won't end very well for me, but might be worth the the entertainment I'd get when I see the expression on her face!
Old 04-16-16, 07:24 PM
plumberroy

Bikes: Surly long haul trucker, Surly steamroller,Huffy Catalina, Univega Alpina 501. Gravity deadeye monster, Raliegh sport , Electra loft 1

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 607 Post(s)
Liked 298 Times in 181 Posts
Originally Posted by lost_in_endicot
That would be a great way to start off my day tomorrow..."Morning, sweetie, there's this bike I've been looking at..." It won't end very well for me, but might be worth the the entertainment I'd get when I see the expression on her face!
My wife offered to figure a Surly Pugsley that was on sale into the budget last week. Since I don't have enough good places to ride off road I declined .
Roy
Old 04-18-16, 03:06 PM
Johnny Mullet
That Huffy Guy

Bikes: Old School Huffy Bikes

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
I would have to say this cruiser is all done and ready for commuting! My commute is relatively flat so no problem with a single speed with a coaster brake. The roads are horrible in the town I commute through and the wide bars, 26" tires, steel rims, single speed, and less components should be perfect for these conditions. I added the rear rack and a water bottle holder. I also added some extra decals from my Pro Thunder BMX build and will call this bike "Thunder"..............

Old 04-18-16, 05:21 PM
ef5oh

Bikes: Giant Defy 5

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Here's my Giant Defy 5 toward the end of my first day commuting today! Ordered some fenders that should be in this week for it otherwise it's perfect for me so far!

Old 04-19-16, 12:16 PM
Mr Pink57
Did I catch a niner?

Bikes: Vassago Fisticuff/Surly Ogre/Surly Pugsley/Surly Pugsley 29+

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Old 04-19-16, 12:39 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7351 Post(s)
Liked 2,478 Times in 1,439 Posts
@ef5oh, welcome! Please put your location in your profile. It's more fun that way. Congratulations on that spiffy bike.

@Johnny Mullet, you know a lot of us are snobs, and unfortunately, I lean that way, but I have come to appreciate your builds. They are innovating, functional, and they have a certain style to them.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 04-19-16, 12:39 PM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

Bikes: Surly CrossCheck, Krampus

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 3,433 Times in 2,540 Posts
Originally Posted by plumberroy
My wife offered to figure a Surly Pugsley that was on sale into the budget last week. Since I don't have enough good places to ride off road I declined .
Roy
Good work -- bank that good will, and withdraw it at a later date when you find a bike that would be more suitable...
Old 04-19-16, 12:41 PM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

Originally Posted by Johnny Mullet
I also added some extra decals from my Pro Thunder BMX build and will call this bike "Thunder"..............
Wait, so it's just pretending to be a Huffy?
Old 04-19-16, 05:15 PM
Johnny Mullet
That Huffy Guy

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by noglider

@Johnny Mullet, you know a lot of us are snobs, and unfortunately, I lean that way, but I have come to appreciate your builds. They are innovating, functional, and they have a certain style to them.
Thank you. I truly appreciate that! I take pride in my bikes regardless of the name brand. They each have a purpose and they all get ridden.
Old 04-19-16, 05:18 PM
Johnny Mullet
That Huffy Guy

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by RubeRad
Wait, so it's just pretending to be a Huffy?
Nope. It was a Huffy Santa Fe beach cruiser.........
https://www.bikeforums.net/beach-crui...ser-build.html

It was a total piece of crap and should have been tossed in the scrap pile. Now it's a commuter.

[img]
Old 04-19-16, 05:39 PM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

Nice! I should have known I could have counted on you to stick with actual Huffies! You cleaned it up real good (even though I think the original bars would look more appropriate)
Old 04-19-16, 07:03 PM
TenSpeedV2

Bikes: Felt TK2, Felt Z5

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 943 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 20 Posts
Last pic before I made some changes to it. This is what I commute on for most of the year. No racks, no fenders, no kickstands, no bottle cages. I strap the lights on at night and ride home from work.

Old 04-19-16, 07:39 PM
Johnny Mullet
That Huffy Guy

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Nice! I should have known I could have counted on you to stick with actual Huffies! You cleaned it up real good (even though I think the original bars would look more appropriate)

Those cruiser bars were horrible. They would hit my knees or legs when turning
Old 04-20-16, 11:54 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Originally Posted by TenSpeedV2
Last pic before I made some changes to it. This is what I commute on for most of the year. No racks, no fenders, no kickstands, no bottle cages. I strap the lights on at night and ride home from work.

Fancy! What size chainring and cog?

Where are you? You can put your location in your profile so everyone can see where you are each time you post.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Old 04-20-16, 01:01 PM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

Originally Posted by TenSpeedV2

Sweet! That's what they call a "track bike", right? So how long can you stay on the railroad track? It doesn't look like that bike would handle the gravel and ties very well...
Old 04-20-16, 01:46 PM
DoctorTattoo

Bikes: Velotraum 7005 EX Plus, Rohloff 500/14, SON Front, Edelux II, SON Tail. R+M Delite GX HS Rohloff.

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I mentioned in another thread that I was in the process of a frame upgrade on my commuter. That upgrade is now finished. I have yet to post pictures of my commuter (I think) so here is before and after.

The original frame was a Surly Troll which will be for sale very soon. I believe it is a 20" but I might be mistaken. It also had SKS Fenders and a Hebie chain glider. In the photo I have my Surly Nice rear rack, I have a front as well in the same color. Those will go up for sale as well.

Since I only changed the frame I kept the Rohloff and SON Dynamo

Now the aftermath. Frame changed to an XL 7005 EX Plus from the German Company Velotraum. It's their full on touring frame with a 180 kg payload (including rider weight) I went with a tubus rear rack made specifically for Velotraum 26" frames as well as Velotraum's own fender kit. I also went ahead and had my Rohloff sent back to the factory for upgrade to Gates Carbon Drive. I moved up frame sizes after a professional fitting I had done after annoying back pain on long rides.

Shawn

Last edited by DoctorTattoo; 04-20-16 at 01:50 PM.
Old 04-20-16, 04:47 PM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

Nice build (but then, it's hard not to end up with a nice build if you start with a Rohloff and carbon belt!)

I like the little detail of how the bottle cage underneath has a shield to keep road crud off the nozzle of your water bottle.
Old 04-20-16, 10:55 PM
TenSpeedV2

Bikes: Felt TK2, Felt Z5

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 943 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 20 Posts
Originally Posted by noglider
Fancy! What size chainring and cog?

Where are you? You can put your location in your profile so everyone can see where you are each time you post.
Running a 49:15 ratio right now. Starting off of a light is a bit of a challenge sometimes but the top end is worth it.

As for location, ehhhhhhhh, think that I will leave it as is.
Old 04-20-16, 11:21 PM
DoctorTattoo

Bikes: Velotraum 7005 EX Plus, Rohloff 500/14, SON Front, Edelux II, SON Tail. R+M Delite GX HS Rohloff.

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Nice build (but then, it's hard not to end up with a nice build if you start with a Rohloff and carbon belt!)

I like the little detail of how the bottle cage underneath has a shield to keep road crud off the nozzle of your water bottle.

Actually, that's a holder for an Abus folding lock. You can see the lock in the pics of the original frame.

Shawn
Old 04-21-16, 06:53 PM
takenreasy

Bikes: ’83 Bianchi Special ’96 Specialized Stump Jumper Comp ’09 Gary Fisher Paragon ’09 Surly Cross Check ’11 Surly Long Haul Trucker

Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked 76 Times in 50 Posts
Just swapped this over to FG:

Old 04-21-16, 10:38 PM
pickycat

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Honestly Shawn, That's one of the coolest commuter's I've seen in a while, and that color.. Mmmmm...
Old 04-22-16, 09:55 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Originally Posted by pickycat
Honestly Shawn, That's one of the coolest commuter's I've seen in a while, and that color.. Mmmmm...
Indeed. It's quite special.

Where are you in Germany?

Old 04-22-16, 09:56 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

@takenreasy, that looks like fun. Funny how the long reach stem and the long reach-back handlebars cancel each other out, but it sure looks stylish.

Old 04-22-16, 11:38 AM
boonie

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
My Univega Sportour with Nexus8 Hubs

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_1282_sized.jpg (95.9 KB, 680 views)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.