Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electric Bikes
Reload this Page >

How would you mount a supplementary tail light to this eMoped?

Search
Notices
Electric Bikes Here's a place to discuss ebikes, from home grown to high-tech.

How would you mount a supplementary tail light to this eMoped?

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-24, 11:46 AM
Smaug1
Commuter

Bikes: Main Bikes: 2023 Trek Domane AL3, 2022 Aventon Level.2 eBike, 1972 Schwinn Varsity, 2024 Priority Apollo 11

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 238 Post(s)
Liked 323 Times in 196 Posts
Question How would you mount a supplementary tail light to this eMoped?

Someone on another forum recommended an LED light strip mounted to the license plate bracket, but I'm planning to get a cool vanity plate for it. Also, those strips seem to all be 12 V, and I'm not sure I want to hardware it or not.

I had one of those cheap strap-on blinky ones strapped around the left shock below the preload collar and that worked OK, so that's my back-up plan.

I don't want to drill into the topcase and mess up its weather resistance. (those are just reflectors up top)

The side plates are just cosmetic; there's nothing between them but air. (wasted space) if I had a good bracket, I'd be OK with drilling into the left side plate.

That on the back of the fender is a reflector; I think I'll leave that as-is.

Ideas?

Old 01-04-24, 05:52 PM
2old

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 883 Post(s)
Liked 824 Times in 623 Posts
Since I ride dirt almost exclusively I can't give a recommendation from experience (although I have a CatEye red light on the back of my helmet for night riding, but Amazon has an array which should provide possibilities. I like the Ascher double light, rechargeable, four modes (including flashing) and < $15.
Old 01-04-24, 07:19 PM
Jay Turberville

Bikes: 1995 Trek 990 (configured for road), Hotrodded Dahon folder, Trek 1400 (not ridden any more), Iron Horse 3.0 homebrew e-bike, 1984 Trek 770 (trying to resurrect)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked 131 Times in 80 Posts
It all depends on what your intent is. If its greater visibility, then I'd go for LED strips lights. That's what I did for my commuter e-bike. I have them on the seat stays and rack uprights. Very visible. LED strip lights powered by USB are around - though I just added a 12v buck converter because I liked having 12v available for other stuff.

If the goal is style, then I can't help you much. But being willing to run 12v will open up more possibilities.