Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electric Bikes
Reload this Page >

Anyone riding a Trek Domane+ AL5?

Search
Notices
Electric Bikes Here's a place to discuss ebikes, from home grown to high-tech.

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-24, 04:32 PM
Bmach

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 440 Post(s)
Liked 264 Times in 162 Posts

Would like hear real world mileage for the battery.

Thanks
Brian
Old 02-05-24, 09:05 AM
Smaug1
Commuter

Bikes: Main Bikes: 2023 Trek Domane AL3, 2022 Aventon Level.2 eBike, 1972 Schwinn Varsity, 2024 Priority Apollo 11

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 238 Post(s)
Liked 323 Times in 196 Posts
Based on my experience with my wife's Electra Townie GO! 7D (Electra is a Trek company) you can trust their stated mileage range.

That Townie always goes further than I think it should be able to, with just a small 36 V battery. 30 miles is no problem at 15 mph and a little effort from the rider.

It's not a 100% correlation with the Domane+ AL5 of course, but it shows that Trek is not engaging in shady marketing here, like a lot of lower tier eBike mfrs. are.
Likes For Smaug1:
Old 02-05-24, 01:56 PM
2old

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 883 Post(s)
Liked 824 Times in 623 Posts
IMO, there are lots of things that Trek does excellently especially considering the great CS they've provided to me, and I especially like the fact that they post the weights of their bikes not some nebulous statement like many suppliers.
Likes For 2old:
Old 02-17-24, 08:01 PM
Eddy_G 

Bikes: Waterford R-33, Salsa Journeyman Apex

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 7 Posts
I used to really dislike Trek as a company. I did not like their reps, their warranty process, the way they treated dealers or end consumers whenever there was an issue of any kind.
Their marketing was always full of psuedo-science and outright nonsense (IMHO).
But I must say that ever since just after the beginning of the pandemic, they have turned all of those things around, and improved in all of those areas 100%!
I used to place Specialized at the top and Trek somewhere near the bottom in those categories, but now those companies appear to have traded places.

Trek's e-Road Bikes are simply the best in my opinion. If you get that Domane+, get the Range Extender Battery and cable as well if you can. They're worth it.
Likes For Eddy_G:
Old 02-18-24, 12:15 AM
Bmach

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 440 Post(s)
Liked 264 Times in 162 Posts
Thanks for the reply’s. Yesterday I put a down payment on the bike plus the extender and cable.
Likes For Bmach:
Old 03-27-24, 11:11 AM
sam.g

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I've had the carbon frame Trek Domane + SLR 6 for a little over one year now and absolutely love it. It has the TQ motor and battery along with Shimano'e excellent 105 Di2 groupset. Very expensive but worth it!

I've not had range anxiety as I've never run the battery down to zero, in fact I rode a relatively flat century last September and only used 53% of the battery while averaging 15.9 mph with around 2500' of climbing. Needless to say, I'm riding quite often with the motor switched off, but the relatively lightweight makes this ride like heavy analog bike similar to my touring bike. At 74 years young, I mainly switch on the motor when climbing the numerous hills in Cincinnati and when the pace increases over 20 mph.

This summer I plan to take my first self contained bike tour (Ohio to Erie) on this e-bike. I purchased the range extender battery (very expensive) and a Tail-fin alloy rack. I can't comment on the Aluminum frame Domane + ALR with a hub drive motor, but the higher spec carbon frame bikes with the TQ drive are great.

Sam in Cincy
Likes For sam.g:
Old 04-01-24, 03:19 PM
JohnJ80

Bikes: N+1=5

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 875 Post(s)
Liked 245 Times in 181 Posts
Originally Posted by Eddy_G

Trek's e-Road Bikes are simply the best in my opinion. If you get that Domane+, get the Range Extender Battery and cable as well if you can. They're worth it.
Agree. I don't think anyone is really close right now. They'll get there but I do think Trek has hit the feature set square on the head with the Domane+. I ordered one (the gravel bike SRAM version) and it should be here in a couple of weeks.

Interesting fact - the range extender is 160Wh which is permitted on many airlines. Delta, for example, allows you to take two 160Wh batteries but only in your carry-on according to their website. You can remove the 360Wh battery in the downtube and take two range extender batteries. Now you can take your e-bike with you on an airplane.

Originally Posted by sam.g
I've had the carbon frame Trek Domane + SLR 6 for a little over one year now and absolutely love it. It has the TQ motor and battery along with Shimano'e excellent 105 Di2 groupset. Very expensive but worth it!

I've not had range anxiety as I've never run the battery down to zero, in fact I rode a relatively flat century last September and only used 53% of the battery while averaging 15.9 mph with around 2500' of climbing. Needless to say, I'm riding quite often with the motor switched off, but the relatively lightweight makes this ride like heavy analog bike similar to my touring bike. At 74 years young, I mainly switch on the motor when climbing the numerous hills in Cincinnati and when the pace increases over 20 mph.

This summer I plan to take my first self contained bike tour (Ohio to Erie) on this e-bike. I purchased the range extender battery (very expensive) and a Tail-fin alloy rack. I can't comment on the Aluminum frame Domane + ALR with a hub drive motor, but the higher spec carbon frame bikes with the TQ drive are great.

Sam in Cincy
Love to hear your experiences with this.

As I've aged (I'm 68), I need a little more time for recovery from too many daily rides in a row. I've been using an e-bike to fill in the blanks and it's worked fantastically. I find that when I'm on my acoustic bike, I'm usually running at 60-90% of FTP. When I'm on the e-bike, it's around 40-70% of FTP. That really aids in exercise recovery.

But my overarching plan for the Domane+ is to take it with me to Europe for some self guided credit card touring. We've done that for years on an acoustic bike and we think that doing this would get us looking around more instead of just putting our heads down and grinding it out when in the wind or up long hills. We've had the Tailfin racks and rack bags since they came out on Kickstarter - fantastic stuff. Two range extender batteries carried on the airplane and the built in battery removed should give us plenty of range for a day of riding and poking around.

Last edited by JohnJ80; 04-01-24 at 03:23 PM.
Likes For JohnJ80: