Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electric Bikes
Reload this Page >

Changing the world, with 2 wheels and a battery

Search
Notices
Electric Bikes Here's a place to discuss ebikes, from home grown to high-tech.

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-24, 11:42 AM
late

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12194 Post(s)
Liked 1,497 Times in 1,109 Posts

"Duncan’s experience hints at the promise of e-bikes in American culture. For more than a century, bicycle revivals have come and gone in the United States, each one presaging a return to gasoline vehicles.

But the appeal of e-bikes, especially among people who haven’t ridden a bike in decades, may help change cities’ car-centric ways. Cities are under growing pressure to reinvent themselves after the pandemic shifted how we live and work.From New York to Cleveland, city officials have rolled out measures to prod drivers to leave their cars at home, from closing streets to traffic to creating “15-minute cities” where life’s essentials are just a walk, bike or transit ride away. Vast networks of safe bike lanes are becoming mainstays of downtowns and business districts.

It wasn’t until she had a family that she considered riding again. “I was really thinking how do we manage a one-car household” So McCann bought a $4,000 Tern GSD — an unofficial abbreviation, she says, for “get s--- done.” She has since covered about 3,100 miles. “I would have gotten into a car and sat in traffic adding to the congestion and pollution,” she says. “But now the question when I get dressed in the morning is, ‘Can I bike in that?’”

“There’s something really special about being on a bike when the sun is coming up. All the shops are opening, it feels like a movie, and I get to do it every day,” she says. “My biggest regret after 12 years in San Francisco is not getting on a bike sooner."

Europe is way ahead of us, but I think we have crossed a threshold. It's becoming the new norm.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/clima...-cost-testing/
Likes For late:
Old 01-29-24, 03:54 PM
Smaug1
Commuter

Bikes: Main Bikes: 2023 Trek Domane AL3, 2022 Aventon Level.2 eBike, 1972 Schwinn Varsity, 2024 Priority Apollo 11

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 238 Post(s)
Liked 323 Times in 196 Posts
BOOM!
↑ That was the sound of me hitting a paywall by trying to follow your last link.
Likes For Smaug1:
Old 01-29-24, 04:07 PM
tds101 
55+ Club,...

Bikes: 9+,...

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1115 Post(s)
Liked 849 Times in 593 Posts
Originally Posted by Smaug1
BOOM!
↑ That was the sound of me hitting a paywall by trying to follow your last link.
Block Javascript for the main site in settings to override the paywall prompt. It usually gets blocked after a few hits on the site, but it's good when it works.
Old 01-29-24, 04:07 PM
Leisesturm

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2496 Post(s)
Liked 739 Times in 523 Posts
I've used this paywall buster a number of times. It does work. Put the url of your target in the text window and give it several minutes. BAM ... readable formerly paywalled intellectual property.
Likes For Leisesturm: