Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Drop bar vs flat bar tire clearance

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-23, 04:31 PM
c_m_shooter

Bikes: Soma Pescadero, Surly Pugsley, Salsa Fargo, Schwinn Klunker, Gravity SS 27.5, Monocog 29er

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 186 Post(s)
Liked 234 Times in 166 Posts
Originally Posted by Eric F
I can't agree with that as a universal fact. On a MTB, on technical terrain, I much prefer the leverage and hand position of a flat bar. Tire size is unrelated to my preference.
If you have suspension, flat bars are great. I ride a lot of bikes. On a rigid bike, drops are superior. The hand position makes it easier to soak up bumps with your arms, transfering lees of it to your neck. This does require the drops to be at a reasonable height, about where your grips on your flat bar would be on a well fitting bike.
Old 01-10-23, 04:33 PM
c_m_shooter

Bikes: Soma Pescadero, Surly Pugsley, Salsa Fargo, Schwinn Klunker, Gravity SS 27.5, Monocog 29er

Originally Posted by Rolla
That certainly seems to be the case with me, which is why I disagree with this earlier assertion:

Bolt upright is not the best position on a rigid bike.
Old 01-10-23, 04:35 PM
c_m_shooter

Originally Posted by amazinmets73
why do xc racers typically use flat bars?
Good question.
Old 01-10-23, 04:39 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 4957 Post(s)
Liked 8,100 Times in 3,833 Posts
Originally Posted by c_m_shooter
If you have suspension, flat bars are great. I ride a lot of bikes. On a rigid bike, drops are superior. The hand position makes it easier to soak up bumps with your arms, transfering lees of it to your neck. This does require the drops to be at a reasonable height, about where your grips on your flat bar would be on a well fitting bike.
Since all of my current fully-rigid bikes are drop bar, and I haven't ridden a fully-rigid flat bar bike on rough terrain in over 30 years, you might be right for that condition. However, your previous comment was "never". It's the "never" that doesn't match with my experience.
Old 01-10-23, 04:41 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Good question.
You answered the question here...

If you have suspension, flat bars are great.
It's also about leverage when the conditions get rough.
Old 01-10-23, 05:19 PM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
Very few bikes out there have bars which are completely flat....Most of what people call flat bars have few mm of raise and few degrees of back sweep and they're not really flat. They should really be called riser bars.... Riser bars and more upright riding position are superior to drop bars when it comes to handling and control on pavement, gravel, singlestrack trails and city traffic.
Old 01-10-23, 05:23 PM
Rolla

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1346 Post(s)
Liked 3,270 Times in 1,439 Posts
Bolt upright is not the best position on a rigid bike.
Could be, but nobody said "bolt upright." Please do a better job of responding to what is actually said, rather than altering it for your rhetorical purposes.

Last edited by Rolla; 01-10-23 at 05:27 PM.
Likes For Rolla:
Old 01-10-23, 08:14 PM
Ironfish653
Dirty Heathen

Bikes: 1997 Cannondale, 1976 Bridgestone, 1998 SoftRide, 1989 Klein, 1989 Black Lightning #0033

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 889 Post(s)
Liked 906 Times in 534 Posts
I wonder how we did it in the 80s and 90s, before suspension, or when you only had 60mm travel? Imagine how much better we’d have been if we’d just been on drops.

The width of the bar helps with leverage, and the height and reach determine how easily you can adjust your weight distribution between your feet and your hands.
You’re conflating bar shape with a whole bunch of other setup factors. Bar shape is a secondary factor, and a comfort/ preference aspect at that.

Some of these gravel bars are approaching or are exceeding the width of the narrow straight bars we used to use BITD.
Old 01-11-23, 04:57 PM
Camilo

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1110 Post(s)
Liked 1,204 Times in 761 Posts
In recent years there's been an increase in tire clearance for drop bar bikes. I've always viewed these massive clearances as somewhat unnecessary, because there's a tipping point where you're simply better off with a flat bar bike due to the improved handling a flat bar provides.

My question: What is the tipping point in regards to tire width where you're better off using flat bars?
I won't argue with your point that at some point wider flat bars might well provide the maneuverability needed compared to drop bars. But that has nothing to do with tire size. There's a lot of stuff that's easily ridden with drop bars where nice wide tires are also an advantage. Rough gravel or dirt roads are an example. I regularly ride 35 mm tires as well as 50mm tires on my gravel bike and have all the maneuverability I need and also the tire width that I need.
Old 01-11-23, 07:18 PM
TheMountBike
Banned.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

There is no definitive answer to this question as it depends on a number of factors, including the type of bike you are riding, the width of your tires, and your personal preference. That said, generally speaking, drop bars offer more clearance for wider tires than flat bars do. So if you are looking to run wider tires on your bike, drop bars may be the way to go.
One key difference between the two types of handlebars is tire clearance. Drop bar bikes typically have less tire clearance than flat bar bikes. This can be an issue if you want to run wider tires, such as 35mm or 40mm tires.

Some drop bar bike frames may only have enough clearance for 28mm tires. If you're considering a drop bar bike, make sure to check the tire clearance before buying. You may need to size up to a larger frame or choose a different model altogether if you want to run wider tires.

Ultimately, it's up to each rider to decide whether the benefits of using drop bars outweigh the drawbacks.

If you're interested in switching to drop handlebars, it's generally possible to do so with some minor modifications. You'll need to purchase new brake levers that are compatible with drop bars, as well as new shifters if your current ones aren't compatible. You may also need to get new cables and housing, depending on the differences between your old setup and the new one.
Old 01-11-23, 07:56 PM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2762 Post(s)
Liked 2,537 Times in 1,433 Posts
Originally Posted by TheMountBike
There is no definitive answer to this question as it depends on a number of factors, including the type of bike you are riding, the width of your tires, and your personal preference. That said, generally speaking, drop bars offer more clearance for wider tires than flat bars do. So if you are looking to run wider tires on your bike, drop bars may be the way to go.
One key difference between the two types of handlebars is tire clearance. Drop bar bikes typically have less tire clearance than flat bar bikes. This can be an issue if you want to run wider tires, such as 35mm or 40mm tires.

Some drop bar bike frames may only have enough clearance for 28mm tires. If you're considering a drop bar bike, make sure to check the tire clearance before buying. You may need to size up to a larger frame or choose a different model altogether if you want to run wider tires.

Ultimately, it's up to each rider to decide whether the benefits of using drop bars outweigh the drawbacks.

If you're interested in switching to drop handlebars, it's generally possible to do so with some minor modifications. You'll need to purchase new brake levers that are compatible with drop bars, as well as new shifters if your current ones aren't compatible. You may also need to get new cables and housing, depending on the differences between your old setup and the new one.
Will somebody make this bot go away?
Likes For Kapusta:
Old 01-11-23, 09:57 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Originally Posted by TheMountBike
generally speaking, drop bars offer more clearance for wider tires than flat bars do.

…Drop bar bikes typically have less tire clearance than flat bar bikes.
Go away, dumb bot.

Reported to Mods.
Likes For Eric F:
Old 01-12-23, 12:01 AM
urbanknight
Over the hill

Bikes: Giant Defy, Giant Revolt

Quoted: 998 Post(s)
Liked 1,206 Times in 692 Posts
why do xc racers typically use flat bars?
My question is why did they switch to riser bars and ditch the bar ends? I felt those bar ends were awesome for climbing, but maybe that's just because I was a roadie first and like climbing on the hoods.
Old 01-12-23, 03:52 AM
wolfchild
Banned

Originally Posted by urbanknight
My question is why did they switch to riser bars and ditch the bar ends? I felt those bar ends were awesome for climbing
I have bar ends on my riser bars and yes they are awesome for getting extra leverage when climbing out of the saddle...I think the main reason why flat bars are not mainstream anymore is because riser bars provide much better handling and are more comfortable.
Likes For wolfchild:
Old 01-12-23, 10:49 AM
Eric F 
Habitual User

My question is why did they switch to riser bars and ditch the bar ends? I felt those bar ends were awesome for climbing, but maybe that's just because I was a roadie first and like climbing on the hoods.
Who is using riser bars? Looking at the bikes of the top World Cup XC riders, slammed stems and flat bars appears to the typical setup. Here's 9 bikes from one of last year's races... https://www.pinkbike.com/news/9-hard...-cup-2022.html

Nino Shurter takes it to another level...
Old 01-12-23, 01:03 PM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Bikes: everywhere

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12792 Post(s)
Liked 7,699 Times in 4,087 Posts
Who is using riser bars? Looking at the bikes of the top World Cup XC riders, slammed stems and flat bars appears to the typical setup. Here's 9 bikes from one of last year's races... https://www.pinkbike.com/news/9-hard...-cup-2022.html

Yeah once you get into running 160 mm travel forks, not many riders wanna add bar height with a riser bar.
Old 01-12-23, 01:05 PM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Sometime in the mid/late 90s riders decided that maybe 4" saddle to bar drop was a little extreme even for XC, so some went for riser bars.
Old 01-12-23, 01:17 PM
urbanknight
Over the hill

Bikes: Giant Defy, Giant Revolt

Quoted: 998 Post(s)
Liked 1,206 Times in 692 Posts

Ah ok so flat bars it is, but still no love for bar ends.
Old 01-12-23, 01:21 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Ah ok so flat bars it is, but still no love for bar ends.
Not sure how/why they went out of fashion, but they certainly did.
Old 01-12-23, 01:42 PM
Rolla

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1346 Post(s)
Liked 3,270 Times in 1,439 Posts
Bikepackers often use bar ends, although sometimes they're in the middle of the bar.
Likes For Rolla:
Old 01-12-23, 02:50 PM
badger1

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1581 Post(s)
Liked 1,193 Times in 606 Posts
Not sure how/why they went out of fashion, but they certainly did.
Not for me! Stolen bike () below. Pic from 2015. I've pretty much the same set up on New Bike, but no pic handy at the moment.
Likes For badger1:
Old 01-12-23, 04:53 PM
wolfchild
Banned

Originally Posted by Rolla
Bikepackers often use bar ends, although sometimes they're in the middle of the bar.
One of my bikes is set up with bar ends on the outside and on the inside. The outer bar ends are mostly for extra leverage when climbing hills or just to have a different hand position. The inner bar ends are really great when on a longer distance ride or when it's windy, it's just another extra hand position. Really like that set up and I am thinking of setting up my second bike the same way.,
Old 01-12-23, 05:34 PM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

One of my favorite barend setups for gravel riding and commuting was with controls on the barends, then I'd use the flat bars for climbing only.
I ditched the 130mm stem, put on a 90mm, put on a wishbone shifter for the front and thumbie for the rear.

Likes For LesterOfPuppets:
Old 01-12-23, 06:01 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4806 Post(s)
Liked 3,933 Times in 2,558 Posts
Originally Posted by LesterOfPuppets
One of my favorite barend setups for gravel riding and commuting was with controls on the barends, then I'd use the flat bars for climbing only.
I ditched the 130mm stem, put on a 90mm, put on a wishbone shifter for the front and thumbie for the rear.

I like! Simple, clean. I'll probably never leave drop bars (and dirt's becoming a memory) but if I went there, I'd consider that as a great start.

But. the big question (and to topic) what does that bar setup do to your tire clearances?
Old 01-12-23, 06:09 PM
Ironfish653
Dirty Heathen

Bikes: 1997 Cannondale, 1976 Bridgestone, 1998 SoftRide, 1989 Klein, 1989 Black Lightning #0033

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 889 Post(s)
Liked 906 Times in 534 Posts
Geometry of the whole bike changed. Fork travel went from 60-80mm to 100-140mm as typical; add in the bigger 27.5/29er wheels, and the whole front of the bike is taller
TT length is longer too, so there’s not the need to “stretch out” like you had on a 26er

Except for hard-core XC racers, the rider position is more upright, with a wider stance. No one runs 540mm bars on 150 stems anymore.
And for whatever reason, a riser on a short stem works better than a straight bar on a taller, angled one, even when the grips end up in the same spot
Likes For Ironfish653:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.