Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Wrapping handlebars

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Wrapping handlebars

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-20, 08:27 AM
Miradaman

Bikes: 1987 Schwinn Mirada, 1989 Trek 420, 1995 GT Timberline, 1979 Schwinn Super Le Tour, Co-Op DRT 1.3

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 49 Posts
Wrapping handlebars

Gonna be wrapping the handlebars on my old Trek. How clean do the bars need to be? There's 30+ years of old adhesive on them that's hard to get off. I scrubbed with GooGone and steel wool and got 90% off but there's still some thin patches here and there. Does this make a difference?
Old 03-14-20, 09:26 AM
Moe Zhoost
Half way there

Bikes: Many, and the list changes frequently

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 986 Post(s)
Liked 880 Times in 527 Posts
It probably will not make a feel-able difference. I've wrapped bars that had a lot of hard residue, but I've also cleaned bars first. It really depended on how I felt on the day that I did it (OCD or meh). At a minimum, scrape off any loose stuff.
Likes For Moe Zhoost:
Old 03-14-20, 10:11 AM
sdmc530
Heft On Wheels

Bikes: Specialized,Cannondale,Argon 18

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 887 Post(s)
Liked 560 Times in 346 Posts
I have sever OCD and when I re-wrap bars I am all in making them CLEAN. Here is my procedure.
1. remove old tape and pick off what I can
2. get a butane torch and burn off very carefully what left.
3. Use acetone/alcohol like solution to get all the residue off.
4. clean with whatever
5. new tape

I am sure I overdue this and its defiantly not necessary but I do this and I am at ease.
Wife says I am nuts, probably am
Old 03-14-20, 10:21 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6196 Post(s)
Liked 4,810 Times in 3,318 Posts
It might depend on what you wrap them with. If you use a very thin handlebar tape you might feel the roughness underneath. If you use a tape that depends on it's adhesive, then as a general rule, adhesive doesn't adhere well to adhesives.

However most handlebar wraps that I've used recently wouldn't have a problem with how clean the bars are before wrapped. It's what makes you feel good.
Likes For Iride01:
Old 03-15-20, 08:28 AM
Le Mechanic

Bikes: 2020 Pivot Vault, 1983 Rossin Record, Garneau R1, Mesamods home built gravel/rain commuter bike, 1995 Barracuda A2V modified with Surley single speed dropouts, 1969 Bottecchia junkyard special fixed gear, Cervelo P4, Mesamods 650b klunker

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked 72 Times in 50 Posts
It depends a lot on what type wrap you're using as the others have said. If you're going full retro with some super thin cotton tape, those clumps will likely show through. Most modern handlebar wrap is pretty thick and it shouldn't be an issue at all. With all that being said, doing a quality wrap job is something a lot of DIY bike mechanics struggle with, many not even realizing it. I made a Youtube tutorial video about a year ago with some tips, tricks, and hacks that may be useful.

Likes For Le Mechanic:
Old 03-16-20, 09:58 AM
Miradaman

Bikes: 1987 Schwinn Mirada, 1989 Trek 420, 1995 GT Timberline, 1979 Schwinn Super Le Tour, Co-Op DRT 1.3

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 49 Posts
Thanks much to all for everyone's advice. Gave the handlebars one final scrub and even though some old adhesive still remained it was thin enough to be barely noticeable to the touch. Went ahead and wrapped the bars. Turned out OK for my first attempt. Not the best but certainly not the worst.