Go Back  Bike Forums > The Racer's Forum > Track Cycling: Velodrome Racing and Training Area
Reload this Page >

Training hours on the track vs. road vs. trainer

Search
Notices
Track Cycling: Velodrome Racing and Training Area Looking to enter into the realm of track racing? Want to share your experiences and tactics for riding on a velodrome? The Track Cycling forums is for you! Come in and discuss training/racing, equipment, and current track cycling events.

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-18, 10:48 PM
spartanKid

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I'm curious to see the breakdown on what % of training people do on the track vs road vs trainer. I know for those of us who don't live close to a velodrome, the % of road and trainer time will be much higher.

Personally I don't live close enough to a velodrome to get in lots of training time, so I'm probably ~70% trainer and the other 30% on the road bike doing track-like work in a typical week.

What say ye?
Old 02-27-18, 02:11 AM
SyntaxMonstr

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I do almost all my efforts on the road, unless the weather is particularly unpleasant. The exception is days when I've got tank-emptying sessions like rolling kilos or muscular endurance work, where I need to be able to fall off the bike safely after the effort. So probably 90% road and 10% trainer (not including roller work).
Old 02-27-18, 05:06 AM
Morelock

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 282 Post(s)
Liked 50 Times in 37 Posts
About 4 hours from DLV/Rock Hill, with my own business (and married, although my wife is supportive)
I do probably 90/8/2% Trainer/road/velodrome. That's at about 8-12hr/wk training.

It used to be much more group rides outdoors, but I really need my 2 hour sessions to truly be 2 hours... and I was finding that on most group rides I was really getting about an hour of "work" in a 2 hour ride, but with travel/talking it was more like a 4 hour commitment.

Booo life
Old 02-27-18, 05:57 AM
southernfox

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 194 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
~3hrs from Rock Hill (4.5 from DLV). But I live where we can ride on the road year-round (unless a FREAK snowstorm hits).

So 98% on road, 1% on trainer, 1% on track

I do about 70% of that on my road bike and 30% on my training track bike (that I fitted with a front brake).
Old 02-27-18, 06:48 AM
Baby Puke

Bikes: Marin Stelvio, Pogliaghi SL, Panasonic NJS, Dolan DF4, Intense Pro24 BMX

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 365 Post(s)
Liked 87 Times in 58 Posts
This totally changes throughout the year depending on the season and my work schedule. I have a local track in town here, but we have real winter and it's been snow covered. I've been 100% trainer for the past 2-3 months, but I'm going to the track tomorrow for the first time this month. If it stays clear I'll be 50% track 50% trainer. I do no real training on the road as it either traffic or mountains here, I've yet to find a suitable road for track-type workouts.
Old 02-27-18, 08:07 AM
queerpunk
aka mattio

Bikes: yes

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 35 Posts
In the winter - I'm in the mid-Atlantic - I do almost all of my weekday training on rollers. Occasional trainer workouts, but rollers with magnets gives me all the resistance I need for Z5 and Z6 work. If the weather accommodates, I do my weekend work outside.

Once the weather gets good I do all of my work outside.
Old 02-27-18, 09:37 PM
brawlo

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 288 Post(s)
Liked 76 Times in 57 Posts
I do a stack of my training on the trainer. The simple reason is because it's convenient. Through summer, I try and get to the track for 2 sessions plus a race night, but more commonly I'm lucky to get 1 track training session. I don't sweat it too much because I'm a sprinter, and I can do a high quality session in under an hour on the trainer. Daylight and the hour doesn't matter. I'd do about an 80/20 trainer track split, more like 95/5 over winter