Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Mountain Biking
Reload this Page >

Wide Flat MTB Shoe Recommendations

Search
Notices
Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-24, 08:33 AM
Mountain Mitch

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix Exp ert Road and Specialized Stump Jumper FS Mountain; De Vinci Caribou touring, Intense Tracer T275c, Cramerotti, Specialized Allez, Condor

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 166 Post(s)
Liked 100 Times in 57 Posts

I’m in search of that elusive ‘wide flat MTB shoe’. I know Shimano makes a (achingly expensive, mostly unavailable) wide shoe. Are there any other flats that you guys with wide feet, narrow heels have found work for you?
Old 04-13-24, 10:00 AM
Trakhak

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 2490 Post(s)
Liked 2,961 Times in 1,682 Posts
Originally Posted by Mountain Mitch
I’m in search of that elusive ‘wide flat MTB shoe’. I know Shimano makes a (achingly expensive, mostly unavailable) wide shoe. Are there any other flats that you guys with wide feet, narrow heels have found work for you?
Just last week I received a pair of (discounted) Northwave MTB shoes I'd ordered from Backcountry's site. Northwave offers both standard and wide models. I ordered 42 wide.

I've already done a good amount of miles with them. They fit me perfectly, except the arch on my left foot is high enough to make the fit less than ideal, so I had to fashion a bit of padding to reduce the pressure at the top of the left side of that foot. So I guess they'd be better for someone with flatter feet.
Old 04-13-24, 12:02 PM
bboy314

Quoted: 335 Post(s)
Liked 754 Times in 392 Posts
Clipless or platform pedal? If platform, I like my FiveTen Freeriders a lot and I have wide feet.
Likes For bboy314:
Old 04-13-24, 02:41 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4376 Post(s)
Liked 4,012 Times in 2,678 Posts
I use Shimano MTB shoes and like them quite a bit. I guess they could be just a hair or two wider but overall I have had them for years and they are great. For pure flat shoes I have a pair of Crank Brothers shoes which generally have been comfortable but my last MTB ride in them did give me some foot trouble and I am unsure why so I cannot really recommend them at this point but they are nice looking shoes and generally have felt good so maybe it was a fluke or my feet were swollen from something or part of my body was like we don't want to ride today even though my brain was like let's go!

Get good shoes, be comfortable in them ride them lots and the price won't ever be an issue. People agonize of pricing and then get something they might not be as satisfied with and spend more to replace when just getting the right thing from the start is the way to go. Unless living paycheck to paycheck most people won't notice $100-300 gone once in a while and years down the road when you are still wearing the shoes you will be like damn they were only that much...
Old 04-13-24, 06:48 PM
Mountain Mitch

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix Exp ert Road and Specialized Stump Jumper FS Mountain; De Vinci Caribou touring, Intense Tracer T275c, Cramerotti, Specialized Allez, Condor

Originally Posted by Trakhak
Just last week I received a pair of (discounted) Northwave MTB shoes I'd ordered from Backcountry's site. Northwave offers both standard and wide models. I ordered 42 wide.

I've already done a good amount of miles with them. They fit me perfectly, except the arch on my left foot is high enough to make the fit less than ideal, so I had to fashion a bit of padding to reduce the pressure at the top of the left side of that foot. So I guess they'd be better for someone with flatter feet.
In my search for comfort I came across this lacing chart from the deep dark internet. Perhaps it will help with the instep issue.
Likes For Mountain Mitch:
Old 04-13-24, 07:39 PM
Trakhak

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 2490 Post(s)
Liked 2,961 Times in 1,682 Posts
In my search for comfort I came across this lacing chart from the deep dark internet. Perhaps it will help with the instep issue.
Thanks. Not laces, though. The wide Northwave shoes I bought use a new version of the Boa windup wire closure system, and the inside of the windup dial bulges inward a bit. Not much; just enough to be a problem with a high arch.
Old 04-15-24, 03:10 PM
prj71

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 2979 Post(s)
Liked 1,184 Times in 772 Posts
https://www.lakecycling.com/collecti...roducts/mx-201
Old 04-17-24, 01:24 PM
Mountain Mitch

Those are only available in ‘regular’ width, not ‘wide’.
Old 04-17-24, 01:55 PM
prj71

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 2979 Post(s)
Liked 1,184 Times in 772 Posts
Those are only available in ‘regular’ width, not ‘wide’.
Their regular is wide.

https://www.lakecycling.com/blogs/ne...-off-road-shoe

You Said – We Listened & Designed

We’ve also been looking with interest at the positive comments being made by cyclists from all around the world, reading our new Lake Cycling blogs. Many of you out there seem to want a wider and more comfortable off-road shoe – and here it is, the new MX 201.

Yes, Hutch and the team took some time to look closely at mountain biking and gravel riding, and how they’re developing. As your comments have clearly indicated, many riders require a shoe that performs superbly on all bikes, as well as giving them ultimate comfort off the bike. This new technical off-road cycling shoe features:
  • Our all-new COMFORT PLUS LAST (superb for wider feet)
  • A wider toe box & generous forefoot platform, giving comfort to a multitude of foot shapes, allowing a more natural foot whilst riding