Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Spring pin substitute for Shimano TL-ST03

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-21, 05:49 PM
Senior Ryder 00 
Old bikes, Older guy

Bikes: A few modern, Several vintage, All ridden when weather allows.

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 251 Post(s)
Liked 167 Times in 115 Posts

I’ve seen references for using a spring or roll pin as a substitute for Shimano TL-ST03. Any special instructions?

Thanks & regards,
Van
Old 02-12-21, 09:05 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4221 Post(s)
Liked 3,906 Times in 2,329 Posts
Van- Thank you for answering a question i've had for a long time but had done nothing to solve it, until it solved it's self. Back in the day Shimano included this tool with each road STI lever set. I must have tossed out dozens. Forward some years and those levers began to suffer from lube gmuitis. So we would pull the lever/pod unit and soak it in solvent. Reassembly was a real trick what with positioning that lever return spring just so while you slide the unit into the body in that off set way you have to. I "discovered" that a ball inflator needle fits over that spring's leg just right and makes the lever unit so easy to slip into place. It was only then that I realized that I tossed out a tool those years before. Andy

Old 02-12-21, 09:57 PM
KCT1986

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 348 Post(s)
Liked 321 Times in 235 Posts
A roll pin works well for this. Get the smallest size that will fit over the spring end. If it's really short, get another pin about 2 size larger and insert the smaller into the larger to lengthen it. Hint, get more that one since it can go flying if it slips out while using and is easily lost .

A ball inflator needle also works but is less durable.

Tip: During install, start by inserting the lever axle partially into the bracket body so it's ready to pushed through when you get everything lined up. Do the side with the grub screw first since this will help the axle line up for the second side.
Old 02-12-21, 11:34 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Quoted: 4221 Post(s)
Liked 3,906 Times in 2,329 Posts
Originally Posted by KCT1986
A roll pin works well for this. Get the smallest size that will fit over the spring end. If it's really short, get another pin about 2 size larger and insert the smaller into the larger to lengthen it. Hint, get more that one since it can go flying if it slips out while using and is easily lost .

A ball inflator needle also works but is less durable.

Tip: During install, start by inserting the lever axle partially into the bracket body so it's ready to pushed through when you get everything lined up. Do the side with the grub screw first since this will help the axle line up for the second side.
I sometimes use a tapered punch for initially lining up the lever/body pivot holes, also will use a 4mm ball end hex wrench. So far in the last couple years the same inflator needle I use has seen 10-15 pairs of levers being serviced. I do have a back up so perhaps each has seen half that in reality. Either way both needles are in good shape and at least once been used to pump up a soccer ball.
Old 02-13-21, 02:16 PM
Senior Ryder 00 
Old bikes, Older guy

Bikes: A few modern, Several vintage, All ridden when weather allows.

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 251 Post(s)
Liked 167 Times in 115 Posts
Thanks guys,
We’ve had freezing rain the last two nights with lots of trees down this am. Hardware store closed, no power​​​​​​. Trying to find a ball needle in my junk.
Cheers, Van

Last edited by Senior Ryder 00; 02-13-21 at 07:07 PM. Reason: Correction
Old 02-13-21, 06:50 PM
Bill Kapaun
Really Old Senior Member

Bikes: 87 RockHopper,2008 Specialized Globe. Both upgraded to 9 speeds. 2019 Giant Explore E+3

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1804 Post(s)
Liked 1,285 Times in 885 Posts
Originally Posted by Senior Ryder 00
Thanks guys,
We’ve freezing rain the last two nights with lots of trees down this am. Hardware store closed, no power​​​​​​. Trying to find a ball needle in my junk.
Cheers, Van
My gnarly old Blue Spruce lost a 4" limb last night from the freezing rain.
Just the correct amount to fill 1 yard cart after cutting it up with the chain saw.
Old 04-26-24, 04:17 PM
artur.jez

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I know that this is an old thread, but it helped me, so let me share my 2 cents: Torx T20 with a hole works as a charm, only two attempts were needed. It is also heavy enough that it simply falls when it slips.