Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Anyone own new Jamis bike ? Any thoughts?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-21, 08:16 PM
utku1985

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I liked new Jamis bike are they still Reynolds steel ?anyone own one ? Any thoughts I like the upright comfy positions on their website few models
Old 05-01-21, 08:56 PM
Chris!

Bikes: Jamis renegade, surly big dummy, giant talon 29er

Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked 42 Times in 22 Posts
I own a 2019 renegade expat, it's made of Reynolds steel. I love the bike, no real complaints other than I should have bought the more expensive model. I ended up putting new bars, crankset and cassette on it to dial in what I wanted.
Old 05-02-21, 03:28 AM
Lazyass

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Quoted: 2432 Post(s)
Liked 641 Times in 398 Posts
I bought their Dragonslayer 26+ MTB last winter. Wonderful bike.

Old 05-02-21, 06:44 AM
Toadmeister

Bikes: 2021 Salsa Fargo 1x12, 2019 Jamis Renegade Exploit 1x11. Motobacne NX Fat Tire

Quoted: 198 Post(s)
Liked 332 Times in 170 Posts
Originally Posted by utku1985
I liked new Jamis bike are they still Reynolds steel ?anyone own one ? Any thoughts I like the upright comfy positions on their website few models
Doesn't their webpage state what steel (Reynolds) the frame is?

I have a 2019 Renegade, love it.
Old 05-02-21, 10:48 AM
hicks

Bikes: 2019 Jamis Sequel

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 8 Posts
I've got a 2019 Jamis Sequel with 520 Reynolds. Great bike! The newer ones have two versions I believe and the lower model is 4130.

Likes For hicks:
Old 05-03-21, 05:43 AM
jpescatore

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Disc, Jamis Renegade

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 366 Post(s)
Liked 305 Times in 217 Posts
I bought a 2019 Jamis Renegade Escapade from a local dealer who was having an end of year sale and passing on Jamis end of year dealer discounts. I wanted to replace a 25 year old hybrid and a Trek 520 and have one bike for unpaved riding (not mountain biking), riding on trails/paths with my wife and the light style of touring I do these days.

I really like the bike and the 1x SRAM drive train, but I guess to lower the weight of a steel bike, it came with a number of carbon components. The carbon fork and cranks made sense, but the seat post was also carbon - and fractured after 15 months and only about 1,500 miles on it. The dealer checked what I had done and I had not over-torqued the tube clamp or over extended the seatpost - just a component failure. Jamis replaced as a free warranty repair (technically, only a 1 year warranty) but I chose a metal seatpost after that.

I have a carbon road bike with a carbon seat post and have 12K miles on it with no problem. The seat post clamp on the Escapad seems a bit underdesigned to me and maybe it was overtorqued during initially assembly, who knows.

Jamis does not sell that model anymore, I think the S2 took its place - they switched to the Shimano GRX groupset, but looks like same carbon seat post. Don't know if the clamp has been improved.
Old 05-03-21, 10:31 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 11011 Post(s)
Liked 7,541 Times in 4,216 Posts
Originally Posted by hicks
I've got a 2019 Jamis Sequel with 520 Reynolds. Great bike! The newer ones have two versions I believe and the lower model is 4130.
Is 4130 lower than 520, or are they effectively the same material and neither is inherently better or worse than the other? Perhaps what actually matters are details about how each is butted since that will determine how the bike rides.

Call me crazy.
Old 05-03-21, 04:21 PM
hicks

Bikes: 2019 Jamis Sequel

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
Is 4130 lower than 520, or are they effectively the same material and neither is inherently better or worse than the other? Perhaps what actually matters are details about how each is butted since that will determine how the bike rides.

Call me crazy.
The lower model Jamis Sequel 4130 is butted! All good. Just Altus instead of Deore.
Old 05-04-21, 10:53 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 4407 Post(s)
Liked 4,049 Times in 2,700 Posts
Jamis steel bikes are decent I have sold them for years and do recommend them. Typically they are using mostly 520 and 631 Reynolds but they have used 853 in the past. I know several people who I have worked with who own them and love them a bunch and have had plenty of satisfied customers on their steel Jami (or Jamisisisis)

Gotta give them respect for keeping steel going in a production bike like that.
Likes For veganbikes: