Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

brifters compatible with Campy

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-22, 12:50 PM
frogman

Bikes: Wife says I have too many :-)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 327 Post(s)
Liked 250 Times in 158 Posts

What brifters are compatible with Campy ? Other than Campy of course

I am working on a beater bike for a friend and he has a limited budget, looking for brifters cheaper than Campy.

His bike is an older Trek with 8 speed Campy. Is using friction downtube shifters now, wants to try brifters.

Last edited by frogman; 02-08-22 at 12:54 PM.
Old 02-08-22, 02:35 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4214 Post(s)
Liked 3,891 Times in 2,322 Posts
Shimano 7 speed indexing is compatible with Campy 8 speed, but for loosing that 8th cog use. (Both used 5mm c-c cog spacing).

JTek Shift Mates can translate the cable pull (actuation ratio) from one brand's levers to another brand's cassette or der. This is how I run Shimano 9 speed cassettes with Campy 9 speed Ergo levers. Andy
Old 02-08-22, 02:43 PM
billridesbikes

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 347 Post(s)
Liked 418 Times in 250 Posts
As I recall the 8sp Campagnolo cassette had the same spacing as an 8sp Shimano cassette or it was super close that you could switch rear wheels during a race with the other without too much adjustment.
But you still need the 8sp levers, and I think you'll find old 8sp Campagnolo Ergo power levers and old 8sp Shimano STI levers to be about the same price. You'll just have to lurk until you find a good deal. Or maybe a BF member will have a pair in the old 'bike part box' they would be willing to sell you.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/33432231397...MAAOSw62lhTK1m

A bit higher end Shimano, you might be able to do better
https://www.ebay.com/itm/16531939330...UAAOSwtA5h~uRY
Old 02-08-22, 02:50 PM
FastJake
Constant tinkerer

Quoted: 185 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 75 Posts
Brifters + cheap beater with Campy don't really go together, but...

Your best option is probably original Campy 8 speed brifters. As far as I know they were pretty durable and rebuld-able. There are plenty of sets on ebay. Any other brifter option is going be roughly the same price, plus you'll need to add the cost of the kludge (Shift Mate) to make it work.
Old 02-08-22, 02:57 PM
FastJake
Constant tinkerer

Quoted: 185 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 75 Posts
Originally Posted by billridesbikes
As I recall the 8sp Campagnolo cassette had the same spacing as an 8sp Shimano cassette or it was super close that you could switch rear wheels during a race with the other without too much adjustment.
But you still need the 8sp levers, and I think you'll find old 8sp Campagnolo Ergo power levers and old 8sp Shimano STI levers to be about the same price.
Campy 8 and Shimano 7 (not 8) had the same cassette spacing. This is fine for switching wheels, but the cable pull of the shifters is not even close. Campy pulls a lot more cable.

Campy 8: 3.5mm per click
Shimano 7: 2.9mm per click
Shimano 8: 2.8mm per click
Campy 10: 2.8mm per click

You cannot use a Shimano 8 shifter to index a Campy 8 drivetrain (unless there's a Shift Mate for that combination.)

P.S. I included Campy 10 because it happens to have the same cable pull as Shimano 8, which means you CAN put a Campy 10 shifter on an otherwise Shimano 8 drivetrain and it will shift perfectly. I've done this many times.
Likes For FastJake:
Old 02-08-22, 04:50 PM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2609 Post(s)
Liked 1,945 Times in 1,220 Posts
Depends what you're starting with. 8 and 9 speeds, match Campy brifters and derailer, or Shimano brifters and derailer.

Old stuff, hope you (or your friend) enjoys the 'bay. New stuff, Shimano Claris would work (if you could just find them!).
Old 02-08-22, 05:38 PM
mackgoo

Bikes: 87 Bianchi X4, 95 Bianchi Ti Mega Tube, 06 Alan Carbon Cross X33, Gold plated Columbus AIR Guerciotti, 74 Galmozzi Super Competizione, 52 Bianchi Paris Roubaix.

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 261 Post(s)
Liked 546 Times in 167 Posts
Brifters are not compatible with Campy. Campy rejects anything called a brifter. They're called shifters, Campy understands things like that.
Likes For mackgoo:
Old 02-08-22, 05:56 PM
icemilkcoffee 

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1568 Post(s)
Liked 1,741 Times in 978 Posts
Nothing is compatible with Campy. Even Campy is often incompatible with itself. That's why it's a bad idea to run Campy in general.
Old 02-08-22, 09:25 PM
frogman

Originally Posted by mackgoo
Brifters are not compatible with Campy. Campy rejects anything called a brifter. They're called shifters, Campy understands things like that.

I stand corrected !
Old 02-08-22, 09:26 PM
frogman

Originally Posted by icemilkcoffee
Nothing is compatible with Campy. Even Campy is often incompatible with itself. That's why it's a bad idea to run Campy in general.

Ouch !!
Old 02-08-22, 09:30 PM
frogman

Originally Posted by FastJake
Brifters + cheap beater with Campy don't really go together, but...

Your best option is probably original Campy 8 speed brifters. As far as I know they were pretty durable and rebuld-able. There are plenty of sets on ebay. Any other brifter option is going be roughly the same price, plus you'll need to add the cost of the kludge (Shift Mate) to make it work.

I think finding a used set of Campy 8 speed brifters might be his best bet. Good point. Ebay is your friend.
Old 02-08-22, 10:05 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4392 Post(s)
Liked 4,029 Times in 2,690 Posts
Campagnolo stuff especially from that era was rebuildable and at one point you could find those parts (with the pandemic not as sure) in terms of compatibility you might find some Old Sachs New Success ErgoPower levers but I am unsure exact compatibility but they are probably hard to find and not much cheaper than the quite similar Campagnolo levers (probably because they were manufactured by Campy? but someone who really knows will hopefully chime in)

What you could do is get some Gevenalle shifters and he would still be running friction (unless you kludged some Shimano stuff with the J-Tek Shiftmate stuff) but it would get everything in the same spot. However if you have Campagnolo just get the right stuff and pay the piper it is Campagnolo not some cheap-o crap.
Old 02-08-22, 10:11 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18392 Post(s)
Liked 4,520 Times in 3,359 Posts
Originally Posted by icemilkcoffee

Vintage SACHS

Here is a good derailleur/shifter reference page.
https://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Bicycl...ing_Dimensions

There is some overlap between Shimano and Campagnolo. But, not perfectly straight forward.

See section 3.5 "mixing", and the multi-color table

A 7 speed Shimano compatible brifter/derailleur should work on 7 sprockets of of an 8 speed Campagnolo cassette.

If you move to 9-speed Campagnolo, then the "pointy hood" 9 speed levers will work with 8 speed derailleurs. The "round hood" levers will need an updated rear derailleur.

Campagnolo is generally forgiving of Front derailleur configurations.
Old 02-13-22, 11:34 PM
frogman

Originally Posted by CliffordK

Vintage SACHS

Here is a good derailleur/shifter reference page.
https://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Bicycl...ing_Dimensions

There is some overlap between Shimano and Campagnolo. But, not perfectly straight forward.

See section 3.5 "mixing", and the multi-color table

A 7 speed Shimano compatible brifter/derailleur should work on 7 sprockets of of an 8 speed Campagnolo cassette.

If you move to 9-speed Campagnolo, then the "pointy hood" 9 speed levers will work with 8 speed derailleurs. The "round hood" levers will need an updated rear derailleur.

Campagnolo is generally forgiving of Front derailleur configurations.

Thanks for the great source of information !
You got me to thinking, my old Trek has an 8 speed Campy cassette that i have removed the smallest cog and now it it is a 7 speed. I use downtube friction shifters and it shifts dandy. From what I understand maybe I could use Shimano index shifters. I like the downtube
shifter setup so I would need to find Shimano downtube index shifters, probably not available for 7 or 8 speeds, but an interesting idea.
Old 02-15-22, 05:55 PM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Quoted: 2341 Post(s)
Liked 2,836 Times in 1,546 Posts
Originally Posted by frogman
Thanks for the great source of information !
You got me to thinking, my old Trek has an 8 speed Campy cassette that i have removed the smallest cog and now it it is a 7 speed. I use downtube friction shifters and it shifts dandy. From what I understand maybe I could use Shimano index shifters. I like the downtube
shifter setup so I would need to find Shimano downtube index shifters, probably not available for 7 or 8 speeds, but an interesting idea.
you could always stay friction, Shimano had downtube indexing shifters for 7 speed, I had some 600/ultegra/tricolor not sure about 8 speed.

Old 02-15-22, 08:54 PM
frogman

Originally Posted by squirtdad
you could always stay friction, Shimano had downtube indexing shifters for 7 speed, I had some 600/ultegra/tricolor not sure about 8 speed.

Yeah, I will keep them friction. I am actually enjoying riding the old steed with friction.
Old 02-16-22, 07:32 AM
SJX426 

Bikes: '65 Frejus TDF, '73 Bottecchia Giro d'Italia, '83 Colnago Superissimo, '84 Trek 610, '84 Trek 760, '88 Pinarello Veneto, '88 De Rosa Pro, '89 Pinarello Montello, '94 Burley Duet, 97 Specialized RockHopper, 2010 Langster, Tern Link D8

Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Quoted: 1609 Post(s)
Liked 2,216 Times in 1,103 Posts
Shimano 8 and Campagnol 8 are not compatible. There use to be spacers for the Shimano 8 block that would allow for using Campagnolo shifters. I suppose you might be able to use Shimano spacers on a Campagnolo block to be compatible with a Shimano shifting system.
I would ignore the disparaging remarks about Campagnolo. I have used 8, 9 and 10 speed without problems and the Ergo shifters are rebuildable. They don't have the ugly cable popping out the side either.

Here is a Shimano DA block with the now out of production spacers. I don't remember but I think you can use 9 speed Campagnolo spacers in the 8 speed Shimano block and get to the same spacing.

The caveat is the sprocket ring, does it have enough threads to tighten. Mine didn't and I had to find one that had more threads (a longer thread because there is just one). Campagnolo stack is bigger than Shimano.
DA/WM blcok on Flickr

Last edited by SJX426; 02-16-22 at 07:36 AM.
Old 02-16-22, 10:09 AM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1945 Post(s)
Liked 2,175 Times in 1,326 Posts
I’m always fascinated with mix-n-match and I think I have a solution.

If you can run a cassette spaced at Shimano 8 speed on the Campagnolo freehub, you might be able to use a Microshift DynaSys 10 speed drop bar shifter with the 1.4 ratio Campy RD.

I think 10 speed DynaSys pulls 3.4mm X 1.4 Campy ratio = 4.76mm cog spacing. Shimano 8 spacing is 4.8mm.

Not sure on the FD. Maybe an R8 or R9.

John