Go Back  Bike Forums > The Racer's Forum > "The 33"-Road Bike Racing
Reload this Page >

Training Status??? (IV)

Search
Notices
"The 33"-Road Bike Racing We set this forum up for our members to discuss their experiences in either pro or amateur racing, whether they are the big races, or even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

Training Status??? (IV)

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-24, 09:24 PM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

Bikes: road, track, mtb

Mentioned: 142 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2679 Post(s)
Liked 3,205 Times in 1,687 Posts
Originally Posted by Phatman
So what are your guys thoughts on creatine? I've been using the Aldi brand protein powder to make a recovery drink for the last couple weeks and I just realized that the protein powder had creatine in it. I've been feeling pretty good on the bike, but what effects should I expect, if any, from the creatine? I remember a friend taking it in high school and having big time stomach issues but this stuff doesn't seem to be bothering me. Does that mean that its not really enough concentration to have any effect?
I think creatine is supposed to bulk you up, and that a lot of it is just water retention. I remember weight lifters and other strength athletes would use it in high school. Has your weight gone up?

Personally I've gone through phases of using protein or protein/carb powder religiously after workouts. I like the Fluid stuff. But lately I've been trying to just eat real food, especially when I'm at home. The recovery mixes are great for races, events or destination-based training rides where you won't have your kitchen at your disposal after your ride. Otherwise when at home I've just been eating food, even if it is just spooning some PB and a glass of milk to tie me over to an actual meal. Cheaper that way too.

I do use carb/electrolyte drink mix when I am going long, going hard, or when its hot. So half of the time (at least) its just water in my bottles. I've been considering buying some of the components individually in bulk and just formulating it myself. Should be a lot cheaper.
Old 05-02-24, 09:25 PM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

Funny Zwift Race today. Zwift Crit Racing Club "Dutchy Estate", A race, 1st of 3 starters.

We were a group of three until about halfway in when one dude got dropped after some attack/counter attack shenanigans. Then it was me and Mr. Trek, who (screenshot below) did the lions share of the work. And by that, I mean like all of it. He tried to shake me a few times but couldn't do it, and then would just like motor at 5.0 w/kg continually. I just rode his wheel like ummmm.... ok? I'm not gonna get worn out riding 4-4.5 in his draft. He should have feigned some weakness, or at least just not pulled as hard so his attacks would have been more effective.

In fact I was pretty scared of him, until about 2 laps to go (of 6) I could tell that I had more snap and that he wasn't gonna shake me. I launched on the last little hill about 1.0 miles out and he couldn't hold match my attack. I felt bad just camping his wheel the whole time, but hey that's bike racing. He had stronger legs but didn't do a good job at the whole racing part.

Likes For TMonk:
Old 05-03-24, 07:00 AM
Phatman

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked 98 Times in 52 Posts
Originally Posted by TMonk
I think creatine is supposed to bulk you up, and that a lot of it is just water retention. I remember weight lifters and other strength athletes would use it in high school. Has your weight gone up?
Weight has actually dropped, I’ve been trying to trim though. That’s part of the reason I’m doing the recovery shakes, I want to try to make sure I’m getting everything I need after a workout so I can make sure I’m staying on my meal plan for my regular meals. I have a tendency to overeat at meals if I have done a hard workout in an attempt to try to recover faster. Weirdly, eating more does make me feel better but it also, um, makes me gain weight.

I suspect that I’m just not really getting enough creatine to make any difference and I think that’s fine. I’m not trying to bulk.

Originally Posted by TMonk
I've been considering buying some of the components individually in bulk and just formulating it myself. Should be a lot cheaper.
Yeah that was kind of my goal with this protein—I drink the shake and eat a granola bar and it *should* technically get me to where I need to
be so I can eat normally during the day.

I’d be interested in a diy electrolyte solution if you’ve got one—it’s something I’ve been wanting to try. I’m normally a water only guy because I hate cleaning the **** out of my bottles, but my wife is concerned about her blood pressure (hereditary high BP runs in her family) so has starting cooking most meals with low sodium. The result is that I’m concerned I’m not really getting what I need when it’s hot out.
Likes For Phatman:
Old 05-03-24, 08:57 AM
Hermes
Version 7.0

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 297 Post(s)
Quoted: 1346 Post(s)
Liked 2,486 Times in 1,459 Posts
Creatine...When I was sprint training at the track, many of the sprinters had a bottle filled with X that they drank post workout and many took creatine. The basis for the creatine is to replenish / add creatine to the muscles for use during very short hard efforts where the phosphate creatine is turned into ATP. The training was ALL maximal efforts.

Road cycling and racing, even sprint efforts are sub maximal. The benefit of creatine supplementation seems more murky although it is perfectly legal per WADA. Road cyclists will not want any additional unproductive weight such as excess water retention.

I tried creatine and it did not agree with my GI and caused my kidney filtration numbers to go up which spooked may GP doc and me. So I stopped creatine and my filtration results returned to normal. I get creatine from food in my current diet. YMMV
Old 05-03-24, 09:11 AM
Hermes
Version 7.0

In our training group, we have 6 interval sets. This week it was four sets of 30on/30 off on Zwift. This workout is the most difficult for me. This week, we had a different variation to the interval set. It was pick a big gear and do not change gears but spin the big gear easy for the off period. The big gear made the acceleration a lot harder / slower up to target power and the HR much less.

I got through my two interval sets for the week - Tuesday track and yesterday Zwift. All that is left is recovery and endurance.

Today is a recovery ride before going to the gym and destroying myself with strength training.

Edit: I expect the cadence police to show up and tell me that lower cadence does not make any difference and is a red herring.
Old 05-03-24, 12:05 PM
Phatman

Originally Posted by Hermes
Creatine...When I was sprint training at the track, many of the sprinters had a bottle filled with X that they drank post workout and many took creatine. The basis for the creatine is to replenish / add creatine to the muscles for use during very short hard efforts where the phosphate creatine is turned into ATP. The training was ALL maximal efforts.

Road cycling and racing, even sprint efforts are sub maximal. The benefit of creatine supplementation seems more murky although it is perfectly legal per WADA. Road cyclists will not want any additional unproductive weight such as excess water retention.

I tried creatine and it did not agree with my GI and caused my kidney filtration numbers to go up which spooked may GP doc and me. So I stopped creatine and my filtration results returned to normal. I get creatine from food in my current diet. YMMV
Gotcha. I suspect that the quantity I'm ingesting isn't really enough to make a difference good or bad. I have a pretty sensitive stomach these days and I've had zero issues with this protein powder so its probably just a dash here and there so they can advertise it as having creatine in it.

Scary about the kidney stuff though. I'm 37 and have never had a "real" adult physical before, I actually plan to start getting a full bloodwork panel this year, hopefully it doesn't show anything unusual.
Old 05-03-24, 03:55 PM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

Off day from the bike today, did my lighter (of two) weekly strength routines in the garage. Tomorrow, 3 - 3.5 hrs of high z2. Also, my preferred source of creatine is a ribeye grilled medium rare
Likes For TMonk:
Old 05-06-24, 08:04 AM
Hermes
Version 7.0

Rode one hour Saturday and Sunday with a D BOT on Zwift. I guess that makes me a solid "D" - whoopee. I am going to start mixing in some "C" BOT riding. Riding and racing on Zwift is fun, addictive, convenient, safe and a great workout but it is still riding the trainer (even a very fancy trainer) and equivalent to putting lipstick on a pig.

Hopefully, I will get outside this week for some endurance work. The interval workouts are just too good on Zwift to try to do on the road. The gang in my training group agree that Zwift intervals are superior to the road. We can drive ourselves harder and deeper without any fear of road obstacles and losing control of the bike.
Old 05-06-24, 08:32 AM
himespau 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 4247 Post(s)
Liked 2,957 Times in 1,815 Posts
We can drive ourselves harder and deeper without any fear of road obstacles and losing control of the bike.
No pesky stop signs or intersections to mess up an interval. Just do what's gotta get done without any of the mess. Workouts are my least favorite part of Zwift (would rather find a race that looks to emphasize the same things than do an actual workout), but they're so much better than trying to do the same workout on the road. Endurance rides are the opposite (assuming weather isn't a problem), but workouts, yeah, Zwift (or equivalent) all the way.

Likes For himespau:
Old 05-06-24, 07:45 PM
Phatman

Hopefully, I will get outside this week for some endurance work. The interval workouts are just too good on Zwift to try to do on the road. The gang in my training group agree that Zwift intervals are superior to the road. We can drive ourselves harder and deeper without any fear of road obstacles and losing control of the bike.
Yeah, I’ve heard this argument before, but learning to control your bike when you’re redlined is a really really important skill. Hermes, it sounds like you’ve got plenty of experience but for a newer rider getting into the sport, they’ve GOT to practice riding hard IRL.

I remember racing collegiate back in the day 2004-2008 and the Naval Academy guys were, for the most part, not allowed off base for training, so they did most of their rides on trainers. They were all CRAZY STRONG and they crashed SO MUCH. Whodve thought they were setting a trend?

I get that finding a good interval road is hard, but it seems like a worthy goal.
Old 05-07-24, 09:20 AM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

Stage 1 "lap it up" series on Queens Hwy: Dropped/29, quit 10 min in
Evo CC Lucete Express "Sprint" race: 1st/8

I lined up for the first one unprepared. Had been on the bike for about 5 min, no warmup, head wasn't in it yet. Competitive series too, so I guess that's what I get for not respecting it! After 10 min over 300w (~4.6 w/kg) of mostly closing gaps from dropped riders, I found myself with 11s to bridge on a downhill. Not gonna happen. But that's ok! Legs had plenty left and I wasn't too fazed by it. If at first you don't succeed - try, try again!

Second race, I was warmed up and ready to dig in. Hard start shelled it down to 4 of us for most of the race. Things were getting easy so I threw a couple of attacks in, and found myself with 5s each time, but they bridged. The last attack was reeled in about 2 min from the finish, but I was able to recover and it looks like I had the best sprint. Nice!

Likes For TMonk:
Old 05-07-24, 09:21 AM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

Here's a snippet from my outdoor ride on Sunday. I wanted 3 hrs of high z2. I considered Zwift, since it's easier to hold steady power, but I'm glad I went out and felt the wind in my hair a bit (so to speak). It was quite overcast with our typical "May Gray" coastal marine layer, but again it was great to get out.

Likes For TMonk: