Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Are there -25 setback (25 set forward) seatpost?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-22, 09:59 AM
Meek

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I like riding closer to the crankset than behind it. If I bike comes with a 25 setback post I put a straight post on them so my saddle sits in the middle of the rails and not slammed forward as it would be on the 25. I just ordered a bike and it has pretty slack geometry and therefore it came with a zero setback straight post, but I have to slam the saddle fully forward and would like to get a post that puts me 25 closer. Because higher end posts are ‘tuned’ I don’t think just flipping a 25 layback one would be optimal. Thanks.
Old 12-25-22, 10:07 AM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8281 Post(s)
Liked 9,046 Times in 4,477 Posts
Profile Design Fast Forward Alloy Seatpost [ACFW3D2] at BikeTiresDirect
Likes For big john:
Old 12-25-22, 11:28 AM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 3146 Post(s)
Liked 1,711 Times in 1,033 Posts
The Paul Tall & Handsome is 26mm setback, if that helps.

Likes For chaadster:
Old 12-25-22, 11:51 AM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6968 Post(s)
Liked 10,965 Times in 4,690 Posts
Originally Posted by chaadster
The Paul Tall & Handsome is 26mm setback, if that helps.

Old 12-25-22, 12:03 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4806 Post(s)
Liked 3,929 Times in 2,554 Posts
I believe the Thompson posts can be flipped without issue. I've never owned one (for my bikes, I need a lot of setback) but I seem to recall those Thompsons regularly getting flipped for time trialists. (The Thompson clamp hardware is very good and a joy to own. I have two big setback custom posts with their hardware.)
Likes For 79pmooney:
Old 12-26-22, 07:52 AM
DaveSSS 

Bikes: Cinelli superstar disc, two Yoeleo R12

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1098 Post(s)
Liked 559 Times in 446 Posts
For a road bike, their are no professional fitters who would recommend such a position. I've got a short torso. If I moved that far forward, I'd still need a 130-140mm stem and have too much weight on my hands. Forward seat posts might be used for a TT bike with aero bars, but a dedicated TT bike wouldn't need that either because the STA would be steep.
Old 12-26-22, 10:35 AM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3952 Post(s)
Liked 7,298 Times in 2,947 Posts
Originally Posted by DaveSSS
For a road bike, their are no professional fitters who would recommend such a position. I've got a short torso. If I moved that far forward, I'd still need a 130-140mm stem and have too much weight on my hands. Forward seat posts might be used for a TT bike with aero bars, but a dedicated TT bike wouldn't need that either because the STA would be steep.
It's not about you and your fit. The OP uses a zero-setback post with normal frame geometry (as do many people), and he's looking to get the same position on a frame with slack geometry.
Old 12-26-22, 03:21 PM
Kontact 

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 4408 Post(s)
Liked 1,562 Times in 1,025 Posts
Originally Posted by tomato coupe
It's not about you and your fit. The OP uses a zero-setback post with normal frame geometry (as do many people), and he's looking to get the same position on a frame with slack geometry.
Normal people shouldn't do that either. It causes saddle pressure and weight distribution issues.

As far as posts go, any of the newer posts that have a big loop on the top that the clamping mechanism runs through should be easy to mount backwards. Finding dedicated lean-forward posts might be hard since turning road bikes into triathlon bikes is no longer the fashion.

Likes For Kontact:
Old 12-26-22, 04:35 PM
tomato coupe

Originally Posted by Kontact
Normal people shouldn't do that either.
Shouldn’t do what? Use a zero-setback post?
Old 12-26-22, 04:44 PM
Kontact 

Shouldn’t do what? Use a zero-setback post?
Yup. Zero set back plus standard 73-74 degree seat tube angles puts you so far over the pedals that the front of your pelvis has to tilt down into the saddle nose and your weight shifts onto your hands. The road bike position is over a century old and works well. Shifting all your weight forward doesn't accomplish anything positive for most people.
Old 12-26-22, 05:05 PM
tangerineowl

Bikes: Curve Grovel v2 ti

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 257 Post(s)
Liked 91 Times in 75 Posts
https://kidsracing.co.uk/collections...at-post-27-2mm

Cheaper alu model available also.
Likes For tangerineowl:
Old 12-26-22, 05:15 PM
tomato coupe

Yup. Zero set back plus standard 73-74 degree seat tube angles puts you so far over the pedals that the front of your pelvis has to tilt down into the saddle nose and your weight shifts onto your hands. The road bike position is over a century old and works well. Shifting all your weight forward doesn't accomplish anything positive for most people.
That depends on the person, doesn't it? Different people may need different seat posts to achieve a proper fit on a bike, just as different people may need different stem lengths, bar height, etc.
Old 12-26-22, 05:21 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6968 Post(s)
Liked 10,965 Times in 4,690 Posts
That depends on the person, doesn't it? Different people may need different seat posts to achieve a proper fit on a bike, just as different people may need different stem lengths, bar height, etc.
Could go either way. OP could have very short femurs, or OP could prefer a very wonky fit. But at any rate, I can't see anyone needing -25 degrees of setback even with a very slack STA.
Old 12-26-22, 05:27 PM
Kontact 

Not really. No one's anatomy is going to allow them to sit really far forward and not have their weight shifted forward as well. Even if you have short femurs, the point of set back is that it puts your hamstrings in a position to support your upper body weight.

There are lots of people who have to ride like that because of back problems or whatever, but it is a compromise position.
Old 12-26-22, 05:40 PM
tomato coupe

Not really. No one's anatomy is going to allow them to sit really far forward and not have their weight shifted forward as well. Even if you have short femurs, the point of set back is that it puts your hamstrings in a position to support your upper body weight.

There are lots of people who have to ride like that because of back problems or whatever, but it is a compromise position.
Some people need to use a zero set back seat post to put them in the proper position, not because they want a weight forward position. To claim zero setback will always put you too far forward ignores the fact that people aren't all built the same.
Old 12-26-22, 05:53 PM
Kontact 

Some people need to use a zero set back seat post to put them in the proper position, not because they want a weight forward position. To claim zero setback will always put you too far forward ignores the fact that people aren't all built the same.
I'm a professional fitter. There is no anatomy that makes your butt far enough back if your seat is forward.

You can call a forward shifted position "proper" if you want to, but there is no way you aren't sitting on the bike entirely different than it is designed if you are sitting on a zero set back seatpost on a road bike with standard seat tube angles. They were designed for mountain bikes, which have different geometry.
Old 12-26-22, 06:11 PM
theblackbullet

Bikes: I don't even

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked 193 Times in 77 Posts
Originally Posted by 79pmooney
I believe the Thompson posts can be flipped without issue. I've never owned one (for my bikes, I need a lot of setback) but I seem to recall those Thompsons regularly getting flipped for time trialists. (The Thompson clamp hardware is very good and a joy to own. I have two big setback custom posts with their hardware.)
Yes Thomsons can work. May need a longer bolt depending on the saddle angle, but otherwise no issues. I believe they're only 16mm setback though.

Likes For theblackbullet:
Old 12-26-22, 06:12 PM
tomato coupe

I'm a professional fitter. There is no anatomy that makes your butt far enough back if your seat is forward.

You can call a forward shifted position "proper" if you want to, but there is no way you aren't sitting on the bike entirely different than it is designed if you are sitting on a zero set back seatpost on a road bike with standard seat tube angles. They were designed for mountain bikes, which have different geometry.
I'm guessing your fitting philosophy falls in the Steve Hogg camp that favors a more rearward seat position. Is that correct?
Old 12-26-22, 06:48 PM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Provided the clamp mechanism allows secure adjustment at the desired angle in the forward, positive offset position, I don’t see why any seatpost couldn’t be reversed. I mean, shifting the center of weight closer to the centerline of the post should reduce leveraging on the post head from the negative offset position. Maybe a carbon post designed to flex for bump compliance might be an exception…
Old 12-26-22, 06:50 PM
DangerousDanR

Bikes: Time Scylon, Lynskey R350, Ritchey Breakaway, Ritchey Double Switchback, Lynskey Ridgeline, ICAN Fatbike

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 464 Post(s)
Liked 547 Times in 307 Posts
From the Thomson website:

Can I flip my set back post around to be a "set forward" to use my road bike for triathlon?Yes you may. You might need to turn the top clamp to face the front of the bike for saddle adjustment.
Likes For DangerousDanR:
Old 12-26-22, 07:19 PM
Kontact 

I'm guessing your fitting philosophy falls in the Steve Hogg camp that favors a more rearward seat position. Is that correct?
Not really. Steve Hogg's philosophy is reasonable, but the difference between a Hogg position and any other fitter is unlikely to be anywhere near the 25mm difference between a straight and setback seat post. Road bikes have a certain position, one that uses the BB as a balance point. Tri bikes have a different position, and one that's predicated on a flat lower back and actually leaning on your forearms. You can't mix and match the elements between them, no matter how outside the average your limb lengths are.

Not only is it not ultimately uncomfortable, but the steering geometry of road bikes doesn't work well with forward loads.
Old 12-26-22, 07:20 PM
Kontact 

Originally Posted by chaadster
Provided the clamp mechanism allows secure adjustment at the desired angle in the forward, positive offset position, I don’t see why any seatpost couldn’t be reversed. I mean, shifting the center of weight closer to the centerline of the post should reduce leveraging on the post head from the negative offset position. Maybe a carbon post designed to flex for bump compliance might be an exception…
Standard set back seat posts usually can't get to that desired angle. The hardware bottoms out.
Old 12-26-22, 07:38 PM
tomato coupe

Not really. Steve Hogg's philosophy is reasonable, but the difference between a Hogg position and any other fitter is unlikely to be anywhere near the 25mm difference between a straight and setback seat post. Road bikes have a certain position, one that uses the BB as a balance point. Tri bikes have a different position, and one that's predicated on a flat lower back and actually leaning on your forearms. You can't mix and match the elements between them, no matter how outside the average your limb lengths are.

Not only is it not ultimately uncomfortable, but the steering geometry of road bikes doesn't work well with forward loads.
Again, no one is advocating extreme forward positions.
Old 12-26-22, 07:44 PM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Standard set back seat posts usually can't get to that desired angle. The hardware bottoms out.
I dunno what the “standard setback post” is, but there are a whole bunch of clamp designs out there.
Old 12-26-22, 07:51 PM
Kontact 

Again, no one is advocating extreme forward positions.
For many people, a proper position requires a 25mm setback seat post and the saddle scooted back until it is near the forward limit of the rails. So moving the saddle at least a full inch forward to accommodate a zero set back seat post strikes me as a fairly gross departure, even if it isn't as extreme as current tri positions.

When I'm adjusting someone's saddle set back, I'm making MM changes, not several centimeters.

And, you can always live with more than necessary set back - you just won't be able to lean over as far. Various set back fitting methods are there to find the minimum amount of set back so you can lean over more without falling toward the handlebar. I have one bike that I used a stem that is on the short side, so I just moved the saddle back and it has been very comfortable. The same can't be said about stems that are too long. The road position works by cantilevering the rider's upper body in a way that requires their butt act as a counterbalance.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.