Search
Notices
Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals. Use this subforum for all requests as to "How much is this vintage bike worth?"Do NOT try to sell it in here, use the Marketplaces.

88/89 Bianchi Superleggera SLX

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-23, 11:23 AM
billytwosheds 

Bikes: Peugeot, Legnano, Fuji, Zunow, De Rosa, Miyata, Bianchi, Pinarello, Specialized, Bridgestone, Cinelli, Merckx

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 430 Post(s)
Liked 476 Times in 219 Posts
88/89 Bianchi Superleggera SLX

Not that I need another bike, but these rarely come up on island.

It's sporting DA, not Campy. I can't make out the tubing decal, but going off the seller's word for now.

What's the ballpark for a Superleggera like this? Seller is asking $850.

Thanks!

Billy

Likes For billytwosheds:
Old 04-03-23, 11:48 AM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 267 Post(s)
Quoted: 4512 Post(s)
Liked 6,386 Times in 3,671 Posts
@billytwosheds

No expert and don't really know, should be worth that but would be way at the top of my comfort zone, price and year wise.

Bianchi was always to stingy with chrome IMO, especially later, I want more when the whole CS is, looks funny to me as the eye looks for more and finds none.

All that said, Buy, Buy, Buy!

When will you see another?
Likes For merziac:
Old 04-03-23, 12:10 PM
rccardr 
aka: Dr. Cannondale

Mentioned: 234 Post(s)
Quoted: 2155 Post(s)
Liked 3,405 Times in 1,206 Posts
Frameset is worth $500-ish by itself, said the guy who bought one from SpaghettiLegs for about that much, had it painted, rode it for two years, and then sold it to a fellow BF member for about that much. Nice riding frames, they also travel well, took mine to Tucson and Palm Sprimgs. Mine was also set up with Dura Ace.
Old 04-03-23, 02:59 PM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Quoted: 26425 Post(s)
Liked 10,381 Times in 7,209 Posts
...for at least a couple of years, they sold the Giro as the Dura Ace equipped version of the top of the line bike.
Pretty sure I paid in the neighborhood of $800 for this one, maybe 5-6 years ago here, off the local CL.

They sold the same frame, Campy equipped, as some other name. The Dura Ace stuff from that time period works better.

Old 04-05-23, 02:39 PM
Bianchigirll 
Bianchi Goddess

Bikes: Too many to list here check my signature.

Mentioned: 192 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2930 Post(s)
Liked 2,927 Times in 1,492 Posts
Originally Posted by 3alarmer
...for at least a couple of years, they sold the Giro as the Dura Ace equipped version of the top of the line bike.
Pretty sure I paid in the neighborhood of $800 for this one, maybe 5-6 years ago here, off the local CL.

They sold the same frame, Campy equipped, as some other name. The Dura Ace stuff from that time period works better.

they did?

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk
Old 04-05-23, 02:45 PM
Bianchigirll 
Bianchi Goddess

Bikes: Too many to list here check my signature.

Mentioned: 192 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2930 Post(s)
Liked 2,927 Times in 1,492 Posts
I’m probably wrong but if the SLX and Bianchi decals are original that is either a ‘89 Mondiale frame that sadly lost all it’s C-Record kit. It was the only, US Market frame with chrome stay that also came in SLX. FWIW I don’t see a SLX framed Dura Ace equipped bike in the US catalogs.

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk
Old 04-07-23, 07:56 PM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Quoted: 26425 Post(s)
Liked 10,381 Times in 7,209 Posts
Originally Posted by Bianchigirll
they did?
...1985 maybe ? They used the "Giro" model name a lot, for different bikes over the years. But yes, I don't think they were selling them that way in the later 80's.

Last edited by 3alarmer; 04-07-23 at 08:08 PM.
Old 04-10-23, 07:01 PM
rjhammett

Bikes: 85 De Rosa, 92 Merckx MX Leader, 99 Tommasini Sintesi, 08 Look 585, 89 Merckx Corsa Extra, 72 Holdsworth Professional

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 362 Post(s)
Liked 552 Times in 241 Posts
I purchased an '89 Super Leggera in 2012 for $420 and sold it a few years later for $750. It was in excellent condition with original components.

Likes For rjhammett:
Old 04-11-23, 11:52 AM
billytwosheds 

Bikes: Peugeot, Legnano, Fuji, Zunow, De Rosa, Miyata, Bianchi, Pinarello, Specialized, Bridgestone, Cinelli, Merckx

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 430 Post(s)
Liked 476 Times in 219 Posts
Originally Posted by Bianchigirll
I’m probably wrong but if the SLX and Bianchi decals are original that is either a ‘89 Mondiale frame that sadly lost all it’s C-Record kit. It was the only, US Market frame with chrome stay that also came in SLX. FWIW I don’t see a SLX framed Dura Ace equipped bike in the US catalogs.

While I can't rule out the possibility that it's a non-US market frame, I'm definitely intrigued that it could be a Mondiale.

Are those significantly more desireable? I have the C-Record kit to bring it back, but if the trigger is pulled on this and the DA works well, I would ride it the way it is for now at least.

58cm+ frames tend to languish on our Craigslist, so I will watch a wait.