Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

My 2006 Trek Madone Frame Warranty Was Declined - Given a 20% Discount - Any Advise?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

My 2006 Trek Madone Frame Warranty Was Declined - Given a 20% Discount - Any Advise?

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-23, 02:52 AM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4411 Post(s)
Liked 4,862 Times in 3,008 Posts
Originally Posted by Lombard
I hear too many stories of Trek declining valid warranty claims. If it wasn't an issue of negligence or abuse, they should warranty the frame. 20% discount on a new Trek frame? Personally, I would run away from Trek and buy a different brand, but that's just me.
Is a 17 year-old frame with a chip on the BB paint a valid warranty claim?
Likes For PeteHski:
Old 04-21-23, 04:29 AM
TiHabanero

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1746 Post(s)
Liked 1,375 Times in 720 Posts
"Is a 17 year-old frame with a chip on the BB paint a valid warranty claim?"

Agreed. Seems a bit ridiculous, no? Carbon is not anywhere near as fragile as people on this forum make it out to be. The dealer looked at it and assessed there was no issue with the frame. Trek sees the opportunity to sell a frame thus offered a 20% discount. Its a win for all involved. The OP gets a new frame and Trek sells it to him.

Likely the OP will sell the old frame to someone else and that person will be riding it with chips in the paint. The whole thing is a pointless circle. Just ride the bike and stop the worrying.
Old 04-21-23, 04:53 AM
GhostRider62

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 2333 Post(s)
Liked 2,097 Times in 1,314 Posts
The frame on my 2005 Toyota broke the other day

I called Toyota

They laughed and told me call Greg
Likes For GhostRider62:
Old 04-21-23, 05:45 AM
Lombard
Sock Puppet

Bikes: 2014 Cannondale Synapse Carbon, 2017 Jamis Renegade Exploit and too many others to mention.

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1031 Post(s)
Liked 863 Times in 573 Posts
Originally Posted by PeteHski
When I responded, I did not know this was only cosmetic paint damage.
Old 04-21-23, 06:06 AM
Bald Paul

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 821 Post(s)
Liked 1,656 Times in 783 Posts
Originally Posted by grecinos
I spoke with a Trek representative today. He said the closest match to my frame would be an Emonda SL, SLR or ALR series. I can purchase the frame by itself or as a complete bike. The cost for the SL frame would be $1759 with the 20% discount. The cost for the SLR frame would be $3,359 with discount. I didn't ask about the ALR series. The difference between the two frames are the quality of the construction and the SLR is about one pound lighter than the SL model. So, close to double the cost between the SLR and the SL. The agent told me that the expiration for discount is many months or more, as long as I inform the dealer where I filed the claim. They offer both rim or disc brake models.
Personally, unless I was hell bent on having TREK somewhere on my frame, I would just take all the components off the current bike, buy a good Chinese carbon frameset (Winspace, ICAN, Yeoleo?) and make the swap. For the money you'd save on the frame you could also buy a set of carbon wheels from them.
My 'Zwift bike' (semi permanently mounted on my direct drive smart trainer) is an ICAN frameset with Ultegra Di2. I finally sold the carbon wheelset and put on an alloy front. I could take it off the trainer, drop in the rear wheel, and ride it again if I wanted to.
Old 04-21-23, 06:59 AM
RH Clark

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 539 Post(s)
Liked 466 Times in 259 Posts
Originally Posted by GhostRider62
The frame on my 2005 Toyota broke the other day

I called Toyota

They laughed and told me call Greg
Valid comment if Toyota advertised a lifetime frame warranty. In Trek's defense however, chipped paint should not warrant a frame replacement. I would however get a second opinion to insure it wasn't structural.

If a paint chip in carbon would worry me enough to spend $3K on a new frame, I wouldn't ride carbon frames. Wait a minute it does, and I don't.
Old 04-21-23, 07:06 AM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6963 Post(s)
Liked 10,964 Times in 4,689 Posts
Originally Posted by PeteHski
Exactly. The trivial 20% discount is Trek’s way of trying to appease the OP without really giving him much.

If I tried to file warranty claims on all of my bikes with paint chips…we’ll, that’d be all of my bikes.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 04-21-23, 07:16 AM
biker128pedal

Bikes: 2022 Fuel EX 8, 2021 Domane SL6, Black Beta (Nashbar frame), 2004 Trek 1000C for the trainer

Quoted: 270 Post(s)
Liked 447 Times in 266 Posts
Originally Posted by jaxgtr
Don't discount the ALR, it is a very smooth riding frame. I was looking at the Emonda SL back in 2015 and once I took a ride on the ALR, which was a new model that year, it had the same shape and geometry as the carbon Emonda's and I could not justify the cost of the SL model any longer as the ride was that good. I still have the bike and recently updated to Force eTap AXS. The cost of the SLR versus the SL is not worth it for a one pound savings in my view.
I’m thinking about an ALR frame for my Madone 5.0 parts and Aeoles 5 rim brake wheels. The old 1000C frame I got off eBay just does not do the parts justice. It does have rack mounts so at the least it will get aluminum wheels and some old 105 parts in the bin.

Any issues with the pressed bb? Do direct mount brakes improve stopping with carbon wheels? I just need brakes and bb. Then find a 58 or 56 frame.
Old 04-21-23, 07:38 AM
jaxgtr

Bikes: Trek Domane SLR 7 AXS, Trek CheckPoint SL7 AXS, Trek Emonda ALR AXS, Trek FX 5 Sport

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 767 Post(s)
Liked 1,740 Times in 1,013 Posts
Originally Posted by biker128pedal
I’m thinking about an ALR frame for my Madone 5.0 parts and Aeoles 5 rim brake wheels. The old 1000C frame I got off eBay just does not do the parts justice. It does have rack mounts so at the least it will get aluminum wheels and some old 105 parts in the bin.

Any issues with the pressed bb? Do direct mount brakes improve stopping with carbon wheels? I just need brakes and bb. Then find a 58 or 56 frame.
I have had no issues with the PF BB. In fact the original BB lasted almost 7 years. When I upgraded to AXS, I put a BBInfinite BB in. I am using normal Shimano Ultegra brakes with some Black Prince pads on my Aeolus Pro 5 wheels and they have performed flawlessly. I recently added a Ritchey WCS Carbon Streem handlebars , really love the flat tops...

Likes For jaxgtr:
Old 04-21-23, 08:35 AM
GhostRider62

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 2333 Post(s)
Liked 2,097 Times in 1,314 Posts
Originally Posted by RH Clark
Valid comment if Toyota advertised a lifetime frame warranty. In Trek's defense however, chipped paint should not warrant a frame replacement. I would however get a second opinion to insure it wasn't structural.

If a paint chip in carbon would worry me enough to spend $3K on a new frame, I wouldn't ride carbon frames. Wait a minute it does, and I don't.
The chipped paint frame is already a warranty replacement that was given to OP.

Just my opinion but asking for a warranty under the circumstances is how do you say it, ballsy? Even if there was a structural crack. He should strip it and buy a china bike.
Old 04-21-23, 10:36 AM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3952 Post(s)
Liked 7,298 Times in 2,947 Posts
When I responded, I did not know this was only cosmetic paint damage.
That’s okay — casting aspersions on Trek without knowing the facts is acceptable.
Old 04-21-23, 10:43 AM
himespau 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 4234 Post(s)
Liked 2,949 Times in 1,808 Posts
Originally Posted by tomato coupe
That’s okay — casting aspersions on Trek without knowing the facts is acceptable.
Even moreso the big S.
Old 04-21-23, 01:27 PM
Lombard
Sock Puppet

Bikes: 2014 Cannondale Synapse Carbon, 2017 Jamis Renegade Exploit and too many others to mention.

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1031 Post(s)
Liked 863 Times in 573 Posts
Originally Posted by tomato coupe
When you have a reputation, people make assumptions. If the damage is truly cosmetic, I'm surprised the bike shop even bothered to file a warranty claim.
Old 04-21-23, 01:47 PM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3952 Post(s)
Liked 7,298 Times in 2,947 Posts
When you have a reputation, people make assumptions.
Or not.
Old 04-21-23, 01:53 PM
biker128pedal

Bikes: 2022 Fuel EX 8, 2021 Domane SL6, Black Beta (Nashbar frame), 2004 Trek 1000C for the trainer

Quoted: 270 Post(s)
Liked 447 Times in 266 Posts
I have had no issues with the PF BB. In fact the original BB lasted almost 7 years. When I upgraded to AXS, I put a BBInfinite BB in. I am using normal Shimano Ultegra brakes with some Black Prince pads on my Aeolus Pro 5 wheels and they have performed flawlessly. I recently added a Ritchey WCS Carbon Streem handlebars , really love the flat tops...

The newer Elmonda ALR frames are direct mount brakes. May give a little leverage. I too have standard Ultgra brakes. Well no ton the 1000C. The Black Prince pads do work well but I got spoiled by disc brakes. You picture is pushing me over the edge. There are some 58cm frames around I just have drive a couple of hours.

My Fule EX 8 Gen 5 has pressed BB. The only time I get creaks is from the suspension pivots. A little lube and retorque has fixed it.
Old 04-21-23, 02:10 PM
jaxgtr

Bikes: Trek Domane SLR 7 AXS, Trek CheckPoint SL7 AXS, Trek Emonda ALR AXS, Trek FX 5 Sport

Originally Posted by biker128pedal
The newer Elmonda ALR frames are direct mount brakes. May give a little leverage. I too have standard Ultgra brakes. Well no ton the 1000C. The Black Prince pads do work well but I got spoiled by disc brakes. You picture is pushing me over the edge. There are some 58cm frames around I just have drive a couple of hours.

My Fule EX 8 Gen 5 has pressed BB. The only time I get creaks is from the suspension pivots. A little lube and retorque has fixed it.
Thanks. Yea this was a limited color run and I just happened to be there it showed up at the shop. It was still in the box. I did get the new model brakes (8100 series) to make running 28's a little easier. The old 6800 series I had, I need to really open then up to make it fit, but I still have good tire clearance even though they say max tire is 25c on my frame. I could probably run a 30 if I wanted, but it would be a bit tight, but the 28's are enough for me.

Old 04-21-23, 03:33 PM
grecinos

Bikes: 2006 Trek Madone 5.2 (with upgraded compenentry), Trek STP 400 Mountain Bike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
When you have a reputation, people make assumptions. If the damage is truly cosmetic, I'm surprised the bike shop even bothered to file a warranty claim.
I was able to confirm the warranty claim was submitted by calling Trek.

In case you folks are wondering, the following photo shows the suspect chip.

Edit: Since I'm new to these forums, I couldn't post any photos till I posted responses and such to this forum.

It's difficult to see if there's underlying problems, but there are signs of hairline cracks in the paint in the surrounding area (that doesn't show up in this photo).

Old 04-21-23, 04:02 PM
jaxgtr

I was able to confirm the warranty claim was submitted by calling Trek.

In case you folks are wondering, the following photo shows the suspect chip.

Edit: Since I'm new to these forums, I couldn't post any photos till I posted responses and such to this forum.

It's difficult to see if there's underlying problems, but there are signs of hairline cracks in the paint in the surrounding area (that doesn't show up in this photo).

Is it that lighter colored area right around the BB? Sort of looks like when you drop your chain and it jammed in between the chain rings and the frame and just chipped some paint. Is there a gap between the BB shell and the frame?

Old 04-21-23, 04:05 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18377 Post(s)
Liked 4,512 Times in 3,354 Posts
That looks like chain rub from a dropped chain. Not a simple chip. I'm not sure why some people come up with that kind of damage, and others don't.

I wouldn't expect that it would be a warranty issue.

The question is how deep it is.

People have mentioned Ruckus Composites in Portland. Another company that does carbon repair is Calfee, somewhere down in California.

https://calfeedesign.com/
Likes For CliffordK:
Old 04-21-23, 04:10 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18377 Post(s)
Liked 4,512 Times in 3,354 Posts

Am I oriented wrong? Is that the right side or left side? Chainstays up in the photo?

In that case, not the chain rubbing. Something else rubbing?
Old 04-21-23, 04:22 PM
jaxgtr

Originally Posted by CliffordK

Am I oriented wrong? Is that the right side or left side? Chainstays up in the photo?

In that case, not the chain rubbing. Something else rubbing?

Oh you know, I think you are correct.

Old 04-21-23, 04:37 PM
grecinos

Bikes: 2006 Trek Madone 5.2 (with upgraded compenentry), Trek STP 400 Mountain Bike

Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Oh you know, I think you are correct.
It is an awkward oriented photo. I had to put the bike on a work stand, rotate it, and take a photo of the underside. This photo was taken on the non-drive side. The worst of the chipping shown is next to the left chainstay.

There is no gap or play between the frame and the bottom bracket shell. Although the bottom bracket shell is more visible now.

CliffordK: Thanks for the link. I'll take a look when I get a chance.
Old 04-21-23, 04:58 PM
jaxgtr

ok, thanks for the confirmation. Just based on the pic and if there is no gap and no cracking or visible carbon damage, I am leaning to the frame is probably ok. Did you have anything on the crank arm, like a magnet, or a zip tie? Again, down at the BB, could have been just a random rock hit that happened a long time ago and over time, the paint just chipped and as you cleaned it or washed it, little segments just came off, until it got really noticeable. I have a small nick on the underside of my BB Shell of my ALR, but I put a little clear nail polish on it several years ago to seal it and it has not gotten any worse.

Old 04-21-23, 08:20 PM
grecinos

Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
ok, thanks for the confirmation. Just based on the pic and if there is no gap and no cracking or visible carbon damage, I am leaning to the frame is probably ok. Did you have anything on the crank arm, like a magnet, or a zip tie? Again, down at the BB, could have been just a random rock hit that happened a long time ago and over time, the paint just chipped and as you cleaned it or washed it, little segments just came off, until it got really noticeable. I have a small nick on the underside of my BB Shell of my ALR, but I put a little clear nail polish on it several years ago to seal it and it has not gotten any worse.
No. There's nothing on the crank arm. I have a Stages crank arm power meter on that side. It makes sense that it got worse over time and I just didn't notice. It did chip off as I was washing it with a damp cloth.
Old 04-21-23, 08:41 PM
jaxgtr

That's in a pretty hidden area, I would look into just covering the area with some model paint that would match the color which should be pretty easy as it is black and then a coat or two of nail polish. Should keep the moisture out and you should be ok.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.