Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

B screw adjustment

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

B screw adjustment

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-23, 02:11 PM
Redbullet

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 388 Post(s)
Liked 76 Times in 49 Posts
B screw adjustment

I was wondering whether B screw should be re-adjusted for different cassettes. For example: if I correctly adjust B screw for a cassette with the largest cog at the maximum limit of the derailleur, should I readjust B screw if I use another cassette with the largest cog at the lower limit of the derailleur?
Old 05-18-23, 02:25 PM
soyabean

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 540 Post(s)
Liked 416 Times in 274 Posts
Supposed to release the B-screw to the point where the upper jockey wheel almost touches the 2nd biggest cog.

If you swapped a bigger cassette, you may need something like a Wolf Tooth derailleur drop adapter.
Old 05-18-23, 02:41 PM
Redbullet

Originally Posted by soyabean
Supposed to release the B-screw to the point where the upper jockey wheel almost touches the 2nd biggest cog.

If you swapped a bigger cassette, you may need something like a Wolf Tooth derailleur drop adapter.
Not so radical.
Recommended gap for 10-36 cassette (36 is maximum accepted by derailleur) is 5 mm, whilst for 10-28 (still accepted by the derailleur) is 12 mm. I was wondering whether B screw adjustment for the 36 teeth cog will still match the 10-28 cassette - which means without re-adjusting B screw.
Old 05-18-23, 02:43 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5788 Post(s)
Liked 2,580 Times in 1,430 Posts
This is a case where the proof of the pudding is in the eating. If the largest sprocket clears properly and shifting seems OK, then there's no need to change anything. OTOH- if you notice issues adjust accordingly.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Likes For FBinNY:
Old 05-18-23, 02:47 PM
Redbullet

Originally Posted by FBinNY
This is a case where the proof of the pudding is in the eating. If the largest sprocket clears properly and shifting seems OK, then there's no need to change anything. OTOH- if you notice issues adjust accordingly.
That is correct.
But I am lazy and I was wondering whether they simply deigned the system to work with any cassette accepted in the range with only one adjustment made at the extreme combination.
Old 05-18-23, 04:23 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5788 Post(s)
Liked 2,580 Times in 1,430 Posts
There are two considerationsz basic functionality and optimization.

There's plenty of latitude in RD height, on most bikes so resetting is often unnecessary. The amount of latitude will depend on variables like the front chainring size gap, but as a rule anything that clears the largestsprocket passes, and will work on smaller cassettes.

However, if.you bring the RD higher to get better shift response on a smaller cassette, then it may no longer accept a larger one.

So it's a user choice to either have th RD freedom to change cassettes without worry, or get best shifting on the smaller one.

Last edited by FBinNY; 05-18-23 at 06:36 PM.
Likes For FBinNY:
Old 05-18-23, 05:22 PM
Bill Kapaun
Really Old Senior Member

Bikes: 87 RockHopper,2008 Specialized Globe. Both upgraded to 9 speeds. 2019 Giant Explore E+3

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1795 Post(s)
Liked 1,269 Times in 876 Posts
Originally Posted by Redbullet
That is correct.
But I am lazy and I was wondering whether they simply deigned the system to work with any cassette accepted in the range with only one adjustment made at the extreme combination.
You can't get much lazier than doing NOTHING!
Old 05-18-23, 05:28 PM
Freerojo

Bikes: 1997 Specialized Hardrock GX, 2008 Specialized Roubaix Triple 105, 1996 Cannondale RT2000 tandem

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Bill Kapaun
There is indifference.
Old 05-19-23, 03:28 AM
Redbullet

Originally Posted by Bill Kapaun
But that is what I'm trying to do, is it not? I just applied it for a specific situation.
Old 05-19-23, 07:45 AM
smd4

Bikes: 1989 Cinelli Supercorsa

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 3511 Post(s)
Liked 2,926 Times in 1,775 Posts
My B screw is adjusted so that the jockey wheel is as close to the small sprocket as possible. Which in my case is all the way out. Of course I'm using a rear derailleur that's almost 30 years old.
Old 05-19-23, 08:05 AM
Kontact 

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 4408 Post(s)
Liked 1,561 Times in 1,024 Posts
That is correct.
Impossible to say, because what the B screw does and how the derailleur will react to it are variable depending on derailleur design and chain length.

If you set up a derailleur to work with a big low cog, it is likely to work okay with smaller cogs because modern shifting does work even when everything isn't perfect. Which takes us back to FBinNY's "try it".
Old 05-19-23, 03:07 PM
Redbullet

Originally Posted by Kontact
Impossible to say, because what the B screw does and how the derailleur will react to it are variable depending on derailleur design and chain length.

My question doesn't touch an important practical topic, but just for the sake of discussion:

Chain length should not affect B screw adjustment because if you modify chain length, the cage of the derailleur will only rotate around the center of the upper pulley. It means that the center of the upper pulley will not change its position, thus, the distance between the biggest cog and the pulley will not change.

Derailleur design should not influence the answer to my question because I assume I don't change B screw adjustment, thus, I don't change derailleur position - the question is whether shifting is still ok in this situation..

Finally, I think that if you adjust B screw to (let's say) 5 mm distance to the biggest cassette (say max 36 teeth), then you will always have the same distance to the smaller cassette (say 12 mm to max cog of 28), regardless the type of derailleur and chain length. Whether that distance of 12 mm in my example is still ok for good shifting - this can only be answered by practical testing.

But, if it happens that the producer of the system recommends the same combination of 5 mm for max 36 teeth and 12 mm for max 28 teeth, then we can simply assume that he did the test for us and found out that changing cassettes within the recommended interval can be done without readjusting B screw, if this adjustment was done once at one of the extremes (5 mm for 36 teeth or 12 mm for 28 teeth).

Complicated...

Last edited by Redbullet; 05-19-23 at 03:16 PM.
Old 05-19-23, 06:53 PM
Kontact 

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 4408 Post(s)
Liked 1,561 Times in 1,024 Posts
My question doesn't touch an important practical topic, but just for the sake of discussion:

Chain length should not affect B screw adjustment because if you modify chain length, the cage of the derailleur will only rotate around the center of the upper pulley. It means that the center of the upper pulley will not change its position, thus, the distance between the biggest cog and the pulley will not change.

Derailleur design should not influence the answer to my question because I assume I don't change B screw adjustment, thus, I don't change derailleur position - the question is whether shifting is still ok in this situation..

Finally, I think that if you adjust B screw to (let's say) 5 mm distance to the biggest cassette (say max 36 teeth), then you will always have the same distance to the smaller cassette (say 12 mm to max cog of 28), regardless the type of derailleur and chain length. Whether that distance of 12 mm in my example is still ok for good shifting - this can only be answered by practical testing.

But, if it happens that the producer of the system recommends the same combination of 5 mm for max 36 teeth and 12 mm for max 28 teeth, then we can simply assume that he did the test for us and found out that changing cassettes within the recommended interval can be done without readjusting B screw, if this adjustment was done once at one of the extremes (5 mm for 36 teeth or 12 mm for 28 teeth).

Complicated...
That's not correct. For Shimano and Campy derailleurs until recently, the B screw was not an angle adjustment but a tension adjustment of the sprung mounting pivot. So when you shift, the whole derailleur pivots fore and aft. This was a Shimano invention from the '70s, still used on Claris.

And then there are all the derailleurs that don't have the upper pulley co-located with the pulley cage pivot. Many derailleurs have the upper pulley above the pivot, so when you shift to a lower cog in back it rotates toward the cogs and down, and when you downshift in front the pulley moves forward. All 1x derailleurs still work like that.

But if we were talking about a typical SRAM derailleur, you'd be right.
Old 05-20-23, 05:32 AM
hokiefyd 

Bikes: More bikes than riders

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1446 Post(s)
Liked 762 Times in 570 Posts
This is not a universal truth and was, in fact, usually not true until somewhat recently (the past decade or two). Many "traditional" derailleurs had the cage pivot somewhere between the two pullies so that rotating the cage would indeed change the "height" of the upper pulley, changing its position relative to the cassette or freewheel. This can definitely help the upper pulley more closely track the cassette as the effective chain length changes with shifting.

A side effect of this, though one that has never troubled me to any great degree, is the upper pulley would change height as the cage moved to wrap more or less chain with a front chainring shift, potentially causing a problematic change in upper pulley wheel clearance with the sprocket at the back. Again, I've never had a problem with that in practice, but I understand that's one of the reasons that some manufacturers, Shimano in particular, went to this design for their modern 2x and 3x rear derailleurs (such as RD-M3100 as an example).

I personally prefer the "traditional" design approach, where the upper pulley changes height as the cage rotates. I find this type of derailleur will track the cassette much more closely as I shift, though it does indeed sometimes require minding that B-screw adjustment. I've used deraillers where the upper pulley's axis is coincident with the cage pivot, and I've found they don't track the cassette well, especially wider range cassettes. You have to really crank the derailleur down with the B-screw to clear the large sprockets, which jeopardizes shift quality near the middle and small end of the cassette, at least in my experience (because the upper wheel doesn't rotate upward as you shift down the cassette).

Fortunately, manufacturers seem to have taken note of that and the newest stuff, at least the stuff designed for wider range cassettes, seems to have gone back to "traditional" design where the cage pivot is on its own axis, where the upper pulley will change height as the cage rotates, as in Shimano Deore M5100, SRAM NX Eagle, and Microsoft Advent. You can see that Shimano's more road-oriented units still use the design where the upper pulley mount and cage pivot are on the same axis, presumably because road cassettes don't typically have as much size difference (range), as in Shimano Ultegra R8000.

Last edited by hokiefyd; 05-20-23 at 05:37 AM.
Likes For hokiefyd: