Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

It must be classic -- it says so on the top tube

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-23, 03:17 AM
Andy_K 

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 525 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3230 Post(s)
Liked 3,868 Times in 1,439 Posts

I posted this bike on the "Are you looking for one of these?" thread when I first saw it about a month and a half ago. I was trying to find someone who wanted the frame to go in on a purchase with me so I could get the Campy 3x10 components. No one was interested. Then I decided to buy it myself and maybe keep the frame. I sent the seller a message via the email address he provided on Craigslist, but I got no response. Then a couple of weeks ago the seller added a phone number, but I didn't have the cash. Then I sold a bike, but the CL ad disappeared. Finally this week it came back and I was able to get a response from the seller. Today, I brought it home.

The seller told me he was selling for a friend whom he thought had bought it new in 1992. Looking over the Litespeed catalogs, the graphics look more like 1995 to me, except the Litespeed Classic in the 1995 catalog had horizontal dropouts and this one has vertical. Thw Classic in the 1996 catalog has vertical dropouts, but it has a carbon fork. My best guess is that this is a late '95 model and they had started transitioning.

A few more details....

A weird build detail (though not as weird as the grips on the drops) is that it has Schwalbe Marathon Plus tires. Who puts Marathon Plus tires on a titanium bike? The good news is, I have an easy way to cut almost two pounds from the weight of the bike.
Old 03-11-23, 08:24 AM
georges1
Steel is real

Bikes: 1992Giant Tourer,1992MeridaAlbon,1996Scapin,1998KonaKilaueua,1993Peugeot Prestige,1991RaleighTeamZ(to be upgraded),1998 Jamis Dragon,1992CTWallis(to be built),1998VettaTeam(to be built),1995Coppi(to be built),1993Grandis(to be built)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 670 Post(s)
Liked 976 Times in 647 Posts
Originally Posted by Andy_K
I posted this bike on the "Are you looking for one of these?" thread when I first saw it about a month and a half ago. I was trying to find someone who wanted the frame to go in on a purchase with me so I could get the Campy 3x10 components. No one was interested. Then I decided to buy it myself and maybe keep the frame. I sent the seller a message via the email address he provided on Craigslist, but I got no response. Then a couple of weeks ago the seller added a phone number, but I didn't have the cash. Then I sold a bike, but the CL ad disappeared. Finally this week it came back and I was able to get a response from the seller. Today, I brought it home.

The seller told me he was selling for a friend whom he thought had bought it new in 1992. Looking over the Litespeed catalogs, the graphics look more like 1995 to me, except the Litespeed Classic in the 1995 catalog had horizontal dropouts and this one has vertical. Thw Classic in the 1996 catalog has vertical dropouts, but it has a carbon fork. My best guess is that this is a late '95 model and they had started transitioning.

A few more details....

A weird build detail (though not as weird as the grips on the drops) is that it has Schwalbe Marathon Plus tires. Who puts Marathon Plus tires on a titanium bike? The good news is, I have an easy way to cut almost two pounds from the weight of the bike.
very nice bike someone who doesn't flats nor fragile tires, choses this long distance resistance and puncture resistant tire
Old 03-11-23, 08:44 AM
52telecaster
ambulatory senior

Bikes: Austro Daimler modified by Gugie! Raleigh Professional and lots of other bikes.

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 1955 Post(s)
Liked 3,661 Times in 1,679 Posts
If the frameset fits you that would be an awesome ride I bet.
Likes For 52telecaster:
Old 03-11-23, 09:01 AM
Mr. 66

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 1143 Post(s)
Liked 1,740 Times in 961 Posts
That's a funny tire for the Classic, did they have thick tubes and liners to? Great group setup
Likes For Mr. 66:
Old 03-11-23, 09:34 AM
Classtime 

Bikes: 82 Medici, 2011 Richard Sachs, 2011 Milwaukee Road

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 1950 Post(s)
Liked 2,011 Times in 1,110 Posts
Boy o boy! The stories that old Classic could tell. With a little heat, you can save those grips.

like S of L points out,
Avallable Forks
Road
Kinesis Alloy
Look Carbon
Kestrel Carbon
RockShox Paris/Roubaix

Last edited by Classtime; 03-11-23 at 09:53 AM.
Likes For Classtime:
Old 03-11-23, 09:48 AM
SpeedofLite 

Bikes: Litespeed (9); Slingshot (9); Specialized (3); Kestrel (2); Cervelo (1); FELT (1); Trek (2)

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 436 Post(s)
Liked 3,471 Times in 999 Posts
Yeah, it's not unusual for Litespeed to be 1 year off with respect to frame and decals relative to their catalog listing.
However, your bike's frame, fork, and decals are consistent with the '96 catalog.
There are subtle differences between '95 and '96 decals.
The Kinesis aluminum fork was also offered in '96, so it was likely original to the frame.
As for mixed group and years of componentry, Campagnolo 10s wasn't available in '96, so certainly not new.
Otherwise, it's anyone's guess how it all came to be.
I doubt anyone bought this new, as is, in the early 90s.
But it doesn't matter, you have a very sweet polished Litespeed frame of "classic" proportions you build however you want -- congratulations!
If you are looking for a year appropriate 1" Kestrel EMS fork, I might have one.

SoL
WTB: Bike World issue Jun 1974.

Old 03-11-23, 10:22 AM
northbend 

Bikes: 1937 Hobbs; 1977 Bruce Gordon; 1987 Bill Holland; 1988 Schwinn Paramount (Fixed gear); 1999 Fat City Yo Eddy (MTB); 2018 Woodrup (Touring) 2016 Ritchey breakaway

Mentioned: 291 Post(s)
Quoted: 554 Post(s)
Liked 3,794 Times in 668 Posts
I bet it was set up for winter/commuting. Nice score, Andy!
Likes For northbend:
Old 03-11-23, 12:11 PM
Andy_K 

Originally Posted by georges1
very nice bike someone who doesn't flats nor fragile tires, choses this long distance resistance and puncture resistant tire
I know there are a lot of people who love the puncture protection of Marathon Plus tires but I tried them and hated them. Even for commuting I couldn't deal with a tire this stiff and heavy.

On the plus side, I've got a Cannondale that I'm thinking about selling and these tires would be great for marketing that as a commuter.

Last edited by Andy_K; 03-11-23 at 03:20 PM.
Likes For Andy_K:
Old 03-11-23, 12:13 PM
Andy_K 

Originally Posted by 52telecaster
If the frameset fits you that would be an awesome ride I bet.
We'll see. When I saw the ad I thought it was too small but now that I've seen it in person I'm pretty sure I can make it work and am excited to give it a try.
Old 03-11-23, 12:20 PM
Andy_K 

Originally Posted by SpeedofLite
As for mixed group and years of componentry, Campagnolo 10s wasn't available in '96, so certainly not new.
Otherwise, it's anyone's guess how it all came to be.
The seller mentioned that his friend had replaced a Chorus double setup with the current group, but assuming the Chorus shifters it has now were part of that build, it still wouldn't have been original. The Comp Triple stuff didn't come out until 2010, I think, so it's a recent addition. He gave me the boxes those parts came in.

I saw in one of the catalogs that Litespeed offered a standard Dura-Ace build around this time. Given the headset maybe that's what this started with.

I didn't realize they offered multiple fork options. Thanks for that information and the decal dating!
Old 03-11-23, 12:28 PM
Andy_K 

Originally Posted by northbend
I bet it was set up for winter/commuting. Nice score, Andy!
That would make sense. There is a bit of rust on the chain and crank, which would support that theory.

The seller had it on his mantle like the piece of art that it is.

Old 03-11-23, 02:30 PM
unworthy1
Stop reading my posts!

Mentioned: 90 Post(s)
Quoted: 1443 Post(s)
Liked 1,062 Times in 787 Posts
Nice find, but...my 2 cents:
"If you are looking for a year appropriate 1" Kestrel EMS fork, I might have one."
Do it.
or do something to replace that Kinesis ALU fork cause IMO that's the thing that prevents this being a true classic.
Just IMO, cause I am not a fan of those forks (tho you could do worse).
Old 03-11-23, 02:59 PM
tiger1964 

Bikes: Drysdale/Gitane/Zeus/Masi/Falcon/Palo Alto/Raleigh/Legnano

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 984 Post(s)
Liked 635 Times in 405 Posts
Originally Posted by SpeedofLite
The Kinesis aluminum fork was also offered in '96, so it was likely original to the frame.
No idea if that's good or not, but looking online at Titanium frames (yes, I've been doing that), so many have a straight CF fork -- IMHO ruins the aesthetics (YMMV). This one "looks right" .

Old 03-11-23, 06:51 PM
Andy_K 

Originally Posted by unworthy1
Nice find, but...my 2 cents:
"If you are looking for a year appropriate 1" Kestrel EMS fork, I might have one."
Do it.
or do something to replace that Kinesis ALU fork cause IMO that's the thing that prevents this being a true classic.
Just IMO, cause I am not a fan of those forks (tho you could do worse).
I have to admit that I have a bias against the aluminum fork. Even before I decided to buy this bike I was looking at replacement forks. I figure I ought to at least ride it a few times before replacing it though.

I know it's kind of hypocritical after what I said about putting Marathon Plus tires on this bike, bit I was actually thinking a chrome steel fork might look nice. On the other hand I could go full weight weenie and get a carbon fork with carbon steerer.

Having a fork that was an original option would be cool, but I'm not sure I like the way a carbon fork would look on this bike.
Old 03-11-23, 08:01 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4806 Post(s)
Liked 3,929 Times in 2,554 Posts
Originally Posted by tiger1964
No idea if that's good or not, but looking online at Titanium frames (yes, I've been doing that), so many have a straight CF fork -- IMHO ruins the aesthetics (YMMV). This one "looks right" .
The fork that rides like it belongs and simply looks right - steel. I ordered my '09 TiCycles with a steel fork, spent the months waiting doubting myself until ... I went for that first ride. It's totally right. So is that fork on my avatar photo bike. (My theory - the fork being the only unsupported cantilever on a bike frame, the steel at twice the stiffness of the supported titanium every else gives it a very similar feel. Both bikes love being ridden hard over rough stuff.)

Oh, and steel forks look right. Should also last as long as the frame.
Likes For 79pmooney:
Old 03-11-23, 09:01 PM
Bruizer

Bikes: Grazzini,Litespeed,and Pinarello

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 33 Posts
I have to admit that I have a bias against the aluminum fork. Even before I decided to buy this bike I was looking at replacement forks. I figure I ought to at least ride it a few times before replacing it though.

I know it's kind of hypocritical after what I said about putting Marathon Plus tires on this bike, bit I was actually thinking a chrome steel fork might look nice. On the other hand I could go full weight weenie and get a carbon fork with carbon steerer.

Having a fork that was an original option would be cool, but I'm not sure I like the way a carbon fork would look on this bike.
Here’s mine with the original carbon fork
Likes For Bruizer:
Old 03-11-23, 09:10 PM
jetboy 

Bikes: centurion cinelli equipe, look hinault 753, Zunow z-1, 83 stumpy sport

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Quoted: 814 Post(s)
Liked 331 Times in 186 Posts
nice looking bike; I appreciate the triple. titanium is a great choice for commuting really- not gonna damage the paint or get rusty...
Likes For jetboy:
Old 03-11-23, 09:18 PM
Andy_K 

Originally Posted by Bruizer
Here’s mine with the original carbon fork
That looks good. I was picturing something a bit bulkier
Old 03-12-23, 12:51 AM
Andy_K 

Originally Posted by Classtime
Boy o boy! The stories that old Classic could tell. With a little heat, you can save those grips.
I'm not sure the grips were worth saving (and I don't say that about many bike parts), but your mention of heat did save me a bit of trouble. I thought I was going to have to cut them off, but after just a short blast with the heat gun they decided to cooperate.

Apart from the grips, the padding on the upper part of the bars was...interesting. I'm not sure pictures will do justice to just how thick this was, especially since my phone decided to focus on the background.

There was a layer of pipe insulation under the bar tape.

While I poke fun at this, I actually really respect modifications like this on a bike. It shows that the bike was ridden a lot. There's just that point where you say, "I don't care how it looks, I want to be comfortable." You don't reach that point just going out on the local MUP on sunny weekends.
Old 03-12-23, 01:13 AM
botty kayer

Bikes: Yes, probably too many but still have a roving eye...

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 316 Post(s)
Liked 2,800 Times in 532 Posts
Nice score. I agree and think the steel fork route is a good choice.

I have a 96 Litespeed built ti Merckx that came with a Kestral EMS fork, that fork had a steel steerer and was heavy and did not ride as nice as a steel fork.

After looking for ages I finally found a Columbus Max fork that I swear was about the same weight as the Kestral but rode way nicer and looks loads better too, so win win.
Likes For botty kayer:
Old 03-12-23, 04:43 AM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 267 Post(s)
Quoted: 4512 Post(s)
Liked 6,384 Times in 3,669 Posts
I'm not sure the grips were worth saving (and I don't say that about many bike parts), but your mention of heat did save me a bit of trouble. I thought I was going to have to cut them off, but after just a short blast with the heat gun they decided to cooperate.

While I poke fun at this, I actually really respect modifications like this on a bike. It shows that the bike was ridden a lot. There's just that point where you say, "I don't care how it looks, I want to be comfortable." You don't reach that point just going out on the local MUP on sunny weekends.
Another good trick is a rubber tipped air nozzle stuck in the front lip of the grip, you can blast them right off without any heat or damage %99 of the time.
Old 03-12-23, 06:07 AM
tiger1964 

Bikes: Drysdale/Gitane/Zeus/Masi/Falcon/Palo Alto/Raleigh/Legnano

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 984 Post(s)
Liked 635 Times in 405 Posts
Originally Posted by 79pmooney
The fork that rides like it belongs and simply looks right - steel. I ordered my '09 TiCycles with a steel fork, spent the months waiting doubting myself until ... I went for that first ride. It's totally right. So is that fork on my avatar photo bike. (My theory - the fork being the only unsupported cantilever on a bike frame, the steel at twice the stiffness of the supported titanium every else gives it a very similar feel. Both bikes love being ridden hard over rough stuff.) Oh, and steel forks look right. Should also last as long as the frame.
So, I have seen steel, aluminum and CF forks... other than the Teledyne, there are no titanium forks? Or are they just less common?

Old 03-12-23, 09:08 AM
bwilli88 
Not lost wanderer.

Bikes: In USA; 73 Raleigh Super Course dingle speed, 72 Raleigh Gran Sport SS, 72 Geoffry Butler, 81 Centurion Pro-Tour, 74 Gugie Grandier Sportier

Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Quoted: 886 Post(s)
Liked 998 Times in 525 Posts
It is still up on eBay
https://www.ebay.com/itm/37416307749...mis&media=COPY
Old 03-12-23, 09:44 AM
easyupbug 

Bikes: too many sparkly Italians, some sweet Americans and a couple interesting Japanese

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 582 Times in 409 Posts
Not clear from the photos but that vintage of frame may have been polished at one time which may explain the decals being later. Litespeed replacement decals from Litespeed only go back to '96. Agree on the fork. Your gonna like the ride, arthritis has my steel bikes getting dusty.
Old 03-12-23, 10:40 AM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4806 Post(s)
Liked 3,929 Times in 2,554 Posts
Originally Posted by tiger1964
So, I have seen steel, aluminum and CF forks... other than the Teledyne, there are no titanium forks? Or are they just less common?
There are titanium forks. Good ones are a real size fatter than steel due to the lower material stiffness. Also nice tapered tubing choices for builders are limited. Hence few do it. Dave Levy/TiCycles has done a few. (Also one that is built as a truss incorporated with the stem. Just as stiff and strong and ridiculously light. Looks very different.)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.