Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

1970 Cinelli SC N+1

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

1970 Cinelli SC N+1

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-23, 12:12 PM
repechage

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3464 Post(s)
Liked 2,831 Times in 1,997 Posts
Originally Posted by smd4
I wouldn't throw it out of bed for eating crackers. Whoever did the refinishing did an amazing job. What does the correct "Made in Italy" sticker look like? There are several variations I've seen.
there really is not a definitive. I have seen a few authentic, just go with a two color sticker, no Italian flag colors.
it is like the seat tube bands, the orientation green top, green toward herald, application freedom.
Old 03-17-23, 12:20 PM
repechage

This works- I have seen variations

Old 03-17-23, 12:51 PM
bikingshearer 
Crawlin' up, flyin' down

Bikes: 1967 Paramount; 1982-ish Ron Cooper; 1978 Eisentraut "A"; two mid-1960s Cinelli Speciale Corsas; and others in various stages of non-rideability.

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 1032 Post(s)
Liked 2,537 Times in 1,064 Posts
Originally Posted by Andy Antipas
Thank you.

Yes, Cinelli 66 bars. I have a z wrench, but I don't find it helps.
I use a regular combination end wrench to adjust the saddle on the post.

I bought the frameset from the PO and had the majority of the components in my boxes of stuff.
A 10mm combination wrench with a ratcheting end works even better. I agree that the Campy "Z" wrench doesn't get it done.
Old 03-17-23, 01:00 PM
Andy Antipas 

Bikes: too many old steel bikes

Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Liked 938 Times in 176 Posts
Originally Posted by bikingshearer
A 10mm combination wrench with a ratcheting end works even better. I agree that the Campy "Z" wrench doesn't get it done.
I have one of those ratcheting wrenches too. In my experience it depends on the saddle one is using and how much clearance there is. The two bolt campy posts can be fiddly, but once adjusted they are fine.
Old 03-17-23, 07:22 PM
clubman 
Phyllo-buster

Bikes: roadsters, club bikes, fixed and classic

Mentioned: 133 Post(s)
Quoted: 2298 Post(s)
Liked 2,056 Times in 1,256 Posts
Stunning. Do you have a serial number? I think my Model B is a '70 with code 6819 and I know it's a long shot but if dreams were wishes...
Old 03-17-23, 11:23 PM
bikingshearer 
Crawlin' up, flyin' down

Bikes: 1967 Paramount; 1982-ish Ron Cooper; 1978 Eisentraut "A"; two mid-1960s Cinelli Speciale Corsas; and others in various stages of non-rideability.

Originally Posted by Andy Antipas
I have one of those ratcheting wrenches too. In my experience it depends on the saddle one is using and how much clearance there is. The two bolt campy posts can be fiddly, but once adjusted they are fine.
Yeah, clearance with Brooks saddles (and probably other leather saddles) is significantly greater than with Unicanitors, Rollses, and other plastic-shell saddles. For a Brooks, going in from the side might work. For the plastic shell saddles, going in from the back and using the ratchet end of the combo wrench is the best solution I have tried.

I like old Campy two-bolt posts very much; they are my favorite seat post. Yes, they are harder to set up than a one-bolt model, but the two-bolts are truly micro-adjustable and I have yet to find a one-bolt design that doesn't have the little indents that force me to choose between nose a tad bit too low and nose a tad bit too high.. Nittos with the two bolts underneath - the S83, I think - are also micro-adjustable and are second favorite post, but they only come on 27.2 and 26.8. Not much use on a pre-Colombo Cinelli.

Also, the Campy two-bolts are just so cool and iconic looking; it was a mark of a good bike when I first got into cycling and about the only Campy part I could afford to spurge on. I have never lost the little tingle they give me.
Old 03-18-23, 01:55 AM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 269 Post(s)
Quoted: 4519 Post(s)
Liked 6,403 Times in 3,683 Posts
This is the tool u seek.

https://www.amazon.com/Flex-Head-Rat...125491&sr=8-44

A straight and angled fixed can each also work on certain and varied setups.
Likes For merziac:
Old 03-18-23, 06:06 AM
Kabuki12

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 878 Post(s)
Liked 2,300 Times in 1,286 Posts
I bent a Craftsmen combination wrench and it works , even with the Cinelli/ UnicaNitor saddles but I think think that ratcheting wrench looks like a better tool.
Old 06-15-23, 09:54 AM
Lord Donnington

Bikes: 1980 Bianchi Super Leggera, 1980 Raleigh Professional, 1980 Olmo Competition, 1975 Colnago Super, 1987 Davidson Explorer, 1988 Schwinn Circuit, 1976 Masi Gran Criterium

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 8 Posts
Made in Italy decal placement

Originally Posted by smd4
I wouldn't throw it out of bed for eating crackers. Whoever did the refinishing did an amazing job. What does the correct "Made in Italy" sticker look like? There are several variations I've seen.

Like this.

Last edited by Lord Donnington; 06-15-23 at 01:25 PM. Reason: Added better photo
Likes For Lord Donnington:
Old 06-15-23, 01:28 PM
Lord Donnington

Bikes: 1980 Bianchi Super Leggera, 1980 Raleigh Professional, 1980 Olmo Competition, 1975 Colnago Super, 1987 Davidson Explorer, 1988 Schwinn Circuit, 1976 Masi Gran Criterium

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by bikingshearer
Yeah, clearance with Brooks saddles (and probably other leather saddles) is significantly greater than with Unicanitors, Rollses, and other plastic-shell saddles. For a Brooks, going in from the side might work. For the plastic shell saddles, going in from the back and using the ratchet end of the combo wrench is the best solution I have tried.

I like old Campy two-bolt posts very much; they are my favorite seat post. Yes, they are harder to set up than a one-bolt model, but the two-bolts are truly micro-adjustable and I have yet to find a one-bolt design that doesn't have the little indents that force me to choose between nose a tad bit too low and nose a tad bit too high.. Nittos with the two bolts underneath - the S83, I think - are also micro-adjustable and are second favorite post, but they only come on 27.2 and 26.8. Not much use on a pre-Colombo Cinelli.

Also, the Campy two-bolts are just so cool and iconic looking; it was a mark of a good bike when I first got into cycling and about the only Campy part I could afford to spurge on. I have never lost the little tingle they give me.

You can adjust a Unicanitor mounted onto a two bolt Campagnolo Seatpost by lifting the sides of the saddle for bolt head access. Very hard to adjust the boots from behind the saddle.
Old 06-15-23, 01:55 PM
repechage

Originally Posted by Lord Donnington
You can adjust a Unicanitor mounted onto a two bolt Campagnolo Seatpost by lifting the sides of the saddle for bolt head access. Very hard to adjust the boots from behind the saddle.
pivoting ratchet box wrench - which did not exist at the time speeds the work up much today.
Old 06-15-23, 01:58 PM
repechage

Like this.
there is another version where the MADE & ITALY are reversed out - the word IN is dark letters on a white field.

note this has the correct screws attaching the badge.

I like my Cinelli but not a never sell bike.
Old 06-15-23, 05:09 PM
bikingshearer 
Crawlin' up, flyin' down

Yeah, it's possible and I did it plenty of times BITD with Cinelli. I did not like the way it crinkled the leather, but as repechage said, ratcheted 10mm box-end wrenches were not available then. Since such marvels are available now, I haven't even had to try to fold up the side of my Rolls saddles. Ratcheted wrenches it is, and I ain't never going back.

Originally Posted by repechage
I like my Cinelli but not a never sell bike.
You godless heretic! Torquemada did horrible things to people based on far less serious alleged blasphemies.

Just in case my peculiar sense of humor does not translate this time, yes, I am kidding (mostly).

I have two of Cino's/Luigi's finest, both in giant economy size from the mid-1960s and neither remotely in concours condition or period correct, and I doubt I will ever sell either and most certainly not both. But as always, to each his own, YMMV, Kumbayah, etc. etc.
Old 06-15-23, 06:21 PM
smd4

Bikes: 1989 Cinelli Supercorsa

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 3527 Post(s)
Liked 2,938 Times in 1,781 Posts

Like this.
Thanks.

I know it’s not correct, but I went with the “banner” style with the Italian colors. Seeing them on the bike just reminds me of my (and the frame’s) heritage.
Old 06-15-23, 08:34 PM
VtwinVince

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 168 Post(s)
Liked 253 Times in 147 Posts
That's a real beauty, congrats. I just saw a '73 in white with Super Record locally that was all original, including paint and decals. Also one of my dream bikes.