Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

The fear/guilt of not commuting....

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

The fear/guilt of not commuting....

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-14, 01:23 PM
velocity
Dart Board

Bikes: 13 Super Six EVO Red, 2005 Six13, 2015 CAADX

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by tarwheel
I definitely "suffer" from the same syndrome, but I don't consider it detrimental to my job. The way I look at it, bike commuting is simply how I get to work and back, and it shouldn't bother anyone how I do that. We have flex time in my office, so if I need to come into work late and leave late, that is fine, or vice versa. I do drive on days when the weather is poor or unsafe for cycling, or when I need my car for appointments or meetings. I try not to feel guilty about driving, however, because I've reduced my annual driving by about 5,000 miles/year since I start bike commuting. Sometimes I drive simply because my legs are tired and need a break. I drove on Monday this week, even though the weather was perfect for cycling, because I rode 200+ miles last week and I was physically tired.
OK this^^^ exactly but the first thing I see is someone on a bike and that is when I think "wow I guess I could have." I actually feel better in the mornings when I ride. More awake for the job.
V
Old 10-23-14, 05:17 PM
Dave Cutter

Bikes: '17 Access Old Turnpike Gravel bike, '14 Trek 1.1, '13 Cannondale CAAD 10, '98 CAD 2, R300

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 1571 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by velocity
You are way overboard there Mr. Dave. My post is about how I feel guilty when not riding to work........... I have been working here for 30 years (1984) since I was nineteen years old......

I have been commuting to work for two years now .I am now making a commitment to ride out the rest of my possible 18 more years commuting by bike.
Really? I missed where I am/was incorrect. Not that I think you're doing anything wrong. I think maybe we are just interpreting words differently.
Old 10-24-14, 11:13 AM
velocity
Dart Board

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Dave Cutter
Really? I missed where I am/was incorrect. Not that I think you're doing anything wrong. I think maybe we are just interpreting words differently.
It where you said/wrote this-
" It would seem judging by your post... you've already decided NOT to have a career." is where I wanted to say I am in no way intending to do anything but retire from this job and I have spent 2/3 of my life there. Its down the road with in ten miles so commuting is great. They have showers so I can go as fast on my bike as I would like to. and every year they are apart of the Commute Challenge put on by the BTA. I just wish they'd pay me more
V
Old 10-24-14, 12:40 PM
Walter S

Bikes: Surly Long Haul Disc Trucker

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1015 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Got rid of my car a few years ago. Believe it or not I literally never fret over whether to drive or not.

It is in fact a liberating feeling. I used to sometimes feel sort of down and weak etc. and think "I guess I'll just drive". but it's not that I've lost that option to take it easy and now it's occasional drudgery. Somehow not having that easy option makes me not need it either. I have days when I'm not 100%. But I've learned that I can cut way back on my usual effort and the impact on my commute time is negligible. And the ride is not at all taxing.

Just my personal perspective. I'm not saying everybody can be car free. But there's no car in my household. My elderly mother lives with me and I do all of what we need as far as shopping, etc. with a cargo trailer.
Old 10-24-14, 02:44 PM
Dave Cutter

Bikes: '17 Access Old Turnpike Gravel bike, '14 Trek 1.1, '13 Cannondale CAAD 10, '98 CAD 2, R300

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 1571 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts
It where you said/wrote this-
" It would seem judging by your post... you've already decided NOT to have a career."
Yes. I would have defined a career as a progressive path that would normally mean changing employers, positions, and locations numerous times. Eventually with profits and/or continuity being dependent on ones productivity. I never thought of having a job.... albeit at the same place for very long time... as a career. And.... I certainly didn't mean to imply that everyone needs to follow such a path.

My ideas about such things are likely very outdated and singular.
Old 10-24-14, 05:15 PM
velocity
Dart Board

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Not a problem. I have changed jobs with in the company a few times in my tenor. From the entry level position to a tool
Old 10-24-14, 05:25 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,538 Times in 1,047 Posts
Originally Posted by Walter S
Just my personal perspective. I'm not saying everybody can be car free. But there's no car in my household. My elderly mother lives with me and I do all of what we need as far as shopping, etc. with a cargo trailer.
Just curious, how does Mom handle doctor appointments; does she ever leave the house? Is a reliable taxi service available to handle her transportation requirements, if any, away from home?
Old 10-24-14, 08:06 PM
bubbagrannygear
just ride

Bikes: specialized roubaix, dawes sst ( steel single speed)

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I am getting where I don't want anything to disturb my commute bike ride. I don't want to go to things after work that require being there and needing a car. Like today, I have a convention on the new update of the software that I use at work and I feel guilty I drove. Sometimes I am asked to take things to other plants and since I ride a bike, I get out of it. Am I lazy? Not a good employee? Anyone else got this problem. I bet there is a scientific name for it like Cardooraphobia or something...
V
Sounds like you feel guilty about riding your bike when you are called upon to drive rather than feeling guilty for driving as you originally assert. Regarding the former - for my two cents I say if you are the only one depending on your paycheck do as you please and let the chips fall where they may. If others are also depending on that check - do an honest self appraisal about your priorities and go from there.....
Old 10-26-14, 01:51 PM
Walter S

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike
Just curious, how does Mom handle doctor appointments; does she ever leave the house? Is a reliable taxi service available to handle her transportation requirements, if any, away from home?
I frequently push her in the wheelchair around about a 5 mile area. Usually just to get her out of the house and go eat a dinner out. My sister lives in town and helps mom with some appointments. And mom is setup on MARTA Mobility and can use that too.
Old 10-26-14, 02:20 PM
spare_wheel

Bikes: NA

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
I bike to work unless I'm too sick to bike to work so I have little sympathy for this kind of guilt. And on the rare occasions that I do drive, I drive in a hyper-legal manner (e.g. as slowly as possible while following the law to the letter in a hyper-exaggerated way). The way I drive is even more of a protest than the way I bike.
Old 10-26-14, 02:37 PM
kickstart

Bikes: 2005 Gazelle Golfo, 1935 Raleigh Sport, 1970 Robin Hood sport, 1974 Schwinn Continental, 1984 Ross MTB/porteur, 2013 Flying Piegon path racer, 2014 Gazelle Toer Populair T8

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 396 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
It seems unhealthy and irresponsible to practice ones ideologies to the point of self flagellation.
Old 10-26-14, 03:23 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,538 Times in 1,047 Posts
Originally Posted by Walter S
I frequently push her in the wheelchair around about a 5 mile area. Usually just to get her out of the house and go eat a dinner out. My sister lives in town and helps mom with some appointments. And mom is setup on MARTA Mobility and can use that too.
Thanks for the reply; is it correct to assume your sister uses a car to help mom with some of those appointments, especially those beyond the 5 mile area?
Old 10-26-14, 03:28 PM
Walter S

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike
Thanks for the reply; is it correct to assume your sister uses a car to help mom with some of those appointments, especially those beyond the 5 mile area?
Yes
Old 10-26-14, 05:50 PM
spare_wheel

Bikes: NA

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by kickstart
It seems unhealthy and irresponsible to practice ones ideologies to the point of self flagellation.
What you call "self-flagellation" I call concern for the greater good. I try not to be smug about it...but we all have our personal failings.
Old 10-26-14, 07:13 PM
kickstart

Bikes: 2005 Gazelle Golfo, 1935 Raleigh Sport, 1970 Robin Hood sport, 1974 Schwinn Continental, 1984 Ross MTB/porteur, 2013 Flying Piegon path racer, 2014 Gazelle Toer Populair T8

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 396 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by spare_wheel
What you call "self-flagellation" I call concern for the greater good. I try not to be smug about it...but we all have our personal failings.
Assuming one is a responsible, productive member of society with obligations to themselves, family, and job, its ridiculous to feel guilt when one must use a form of transportation best suited to the task or circumstances.

Your health and well being is part of the "greater good", you make a conscious effort to do your part, there's no reason to make penitence through metaphorical "protest" driving just because you have to drive once in a while.

Last edited by kickstart; 10-26-14 at 07:29 PM.
Old 10-27-14, 04:21 AM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
Originally Posted by ThermionicScott
There's a lot of "guilt" going around the Commuting subforum lately. Try going to Confession or something?

Originally Posted by acidfast7
That is a good point.
Guilt is too strong of a word.
Void/vacancy/emptiness perhaps is better.
I think of my commute in terms of satisfaction:
Cycling >>>>>Train>>>>>>>>>>>>>Driving,

But another dimension is time:
Driving>>>>>>>>>Train (scheduling)>>>>Cycling.

Then there’s Focus (concentration):
Cycling>>>>>>>>>Driving>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Train

Originally Posted by trailmix
… why bother commuting at all, just live at work. No need for family, friends or hobbies. Your career is your life, never forget that. Your whole life is measured by the commodities that you produce.
Sometimes to do my job carefully and well, it becomes convenient to stay overnight, and expend less time and concentration getting home. I have the facilities to do so comfortably and I can then actually do more fun and relaxing activities at the office, including posting on Bikeforums. Despite the implication of being a "tool" as suggested above, I consider the capability and flexibility to to time-shift as a perk of the job.

Because my children are grown, and my wife works late, I don’t lose family time, but it’s unsatisfying not to ride.

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 10-27-14 at 04:31 AM.
Old 10-27-14, 04:39 AM
acidfast7
Banned

Bikes: 2010 Cube Acid / 2013 Mango FGSS

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1053 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 36 Posts
Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
I think of my commute in terms of satisfaction:
Cycling >>>>>Train>>>>>>>>>>>>>Driving,

But another dimension is time:
Driving>>>>>>>>>Train (scheduling)>>>>Cycling.

Then there’s Focus (concentration):
Cycling>>>>>>>>>Driving>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Train

I agree with you but there's also the dimension of getting work done in which train is better than bike and car, where one cannot work.
Old 10-27-14, 05:36 AM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
Originally Posted by acidfast7
I agree with you but there's also the dimension of getting work done in which train is better than bike and car, where one cannot work.
True, but I can't bring my tools (computer, etc) with me. And it's about a one-half hour train ride so i may be in the middle of something, and have to close up. It's the time pressure of having to finish up a complicated and important task that compels me to forgo catching a train or driving/cycling home. But it is satisfying to leisurely read the newspaper on the train.

Another dimension to my job is that within a great latitude i can coordinate my personal energy level with my tasks. For example I am an early riser (a "lark"), and if I stay over, I can be at my desk at 4:30 AM fresh, energetic, and uninterrupted.

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 10-27-14 at 05:41 AM.
Old 10-27-14, 05:55 AM
acidfast7
Banned

Bikes: 2010 Cube Acid / 2013 Mango FGSS

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1053 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 36 Posts
Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
True, but I can't bring my tools (computer, etc) with me. And it's about a one-half hour train ride so i may be in the middle of something, and have to close up. It's the time pressure of having to finish up a complicated and important task that compels me to forgo catching a train or driving/cycling home. But it is satisfying to leisurely read the newspaper on the train.

Another dimension to my job is that within a great latitude i can coordinate my personal energy level with my tasks. For example I am an early riser (a "lark"), and if I stay over, I can be at my desk at 4:30 AM fresh, energetic, and uninterrupted.
Do you mean due to privacy issues with medical records. We similar issues (intellectual property and sometimes patient data) with internet connections end encrypted solid state discs.