Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Inadvertently Hired a Bike Commuter

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-14, 04:30 PM
Mark Stone
Tractorlegs

Bikes: Schwinn Meridian Single-Speed Tricycle

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked 60 Times in 42 Posts

I hired a young lady the last week of October. When we do interviews at my company, HR will not allow us to ask "Do you have a car?" - we have to ask "Do you have reliable transportation". She said Yes, and after a lot more questions and the background check and the drug screen, I hired her. She has shown up early for every shift, is always full of energy, does a great job, and is a real joy to work with. Now, over a month later, I found out that she commutes by bicycle! I saw her coming to work today. I said "You ride your bike to work?" She answered "I haven't owned a car in years." A cool discovery to say the least.
Old 12-04-14, 04:33 PM
bhchdh 

Bikes: '07 Trek 520, '09 Gary Fisher Triton, '04 Trek 8000, '85 Trek 500, '84 Trek 610, '85 Trek 510, '88 Trek 660, '92 Trek 930, Trek Multitrack 700

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Old 12-04-14, 04:51 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3871 Post(s)
Liked 2,568 Times in 1,579 Posts
Very cool!

Originally Posted by tractorlegs
When we do interviews at my company, HR will not allow us to ask "Do you have a car?" - we have to ask "Do you have reliable transportation".
Seems like "Is there any reason you wouldn't be able to come to work regularly, and on time?" is the more pertinent question anyway.
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Old 12-04-14, 05:00 PM
PaulRivers

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 539 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 38 Posts
Originally Posted by tractorlegs
I hired a young lady the last week of October. When we do interviews at my company, HR will not allow us to ask "Do you have a car?" - we have to ask "Do you have reliable transportation".
Ha, that is the first time I've heard of HR implementing useful and awesome policies for interviewing.
Old 12-04-14, 05:26 PM
mcours2006

Bikes: ...a few.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 2012 Post(s)
Liked 409 Times in 235 Posts
Very cool.

No one at my work place rides regularly, let alone to work. They all think I'm nuts anyway.
Old 12-04-14, 07:42 PM
Matariki
Not quite there yet

Bikes: A bunch of old steel bikes + an ICE trike

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Neat story.

Judging by the proportion of bike commuters to cars near where I work, I would say that it's more likely that cyclists will be more reliable in arriving on time.
Old 12-04-14, 11:39 PM
joeyduck

Bikes: 1997 Kona Hahana Race Light, 2010 Surly LHT(deceased), 1999 Rocky Mountain Turbo

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
That is awesome agree. It shouldn't matter how one gets to work and I think the HR question is spot on.

I got one guy to bike to work but he did so intermittently and has since left. Over the years I have been there there have been five bike commuters not counting myself, two whom I converted. Now there is only me and one other fellow. The other fellow has rode in everyday since he started I figure, I was not there his first few months. But his commute is about 3 km flat roads which is pretty awesome.

I can say I take almost the same amount of time every morning to get there. No traffic jams, construction delays. Just flats (knock on wood) and accidents (knock harder on wood). Any long time commuter knows what to do to prevent issues I think.
Old 12-04-14, 11:59 PM
Six jours

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
I had a friend once who tried to hire a woman but when she found out he planned on riding her home on his bicycle, she turned him down.
Old 12-05-14, 12:57 AM
hueyhoolihan

Bikes: 8 ss bikes, 1 5-speed touring bike

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Matariki
Neat story.

Judging by the proportion of bike commuters to cars near where I work, I would say that it's more likely that cyclists will be more reliable in arriving on time.
hey! i was going to say that.
Old 12-05-14, 12:59 AM
hueyhoolihan

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Six jours
I had a friend once who tried to hire a woman but when she found out he planned on riding her home on his bicycle, she turned him down.
i admit it... i had to read it twice.
Old 12-05-14, 01:43 AM
Artkansas 
Pedaled too far.

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
At one place I worked there were 4 of us with the same job title. We worked in two rooms. Two were bicycle commuters who lived over 9 miles away, two were motorists who lived less than a mile from work.

One morning our boss came by asking if my roommate (a motorist) had made it in. I replied that he had not. My boss went to the other office. A few moments later he returned and noted that the other cyclist was there but the motorist had not arrived either. I quipped that perhaps he should hire bicycle commuters who live far away rather than motorists who live close by.

Originally Posted by Bjforrestal
I don't care if you are on a unicycle, as long as you're not using a motor to get places you get props from me. We're here to support each other. Share ideas, and motivate one another to actually keep doing it.
Old 12-05-14, 04:00 AM
Astrozombie

Bikes: Diamondback Insight, Motobecane Mirage

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
They should do away with that question entirely, methinks public transportation is more "reliable" than your average car.
Old 12-05-14, 04:18 AM
Lug

Bikes: 2015 Salsa Fargo 3, 2000 Specialized Rockhopper

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Astrozombie
They should do away with that question entirely, methinks public transportation is more "reliable" than your average car.
Lucky you to live someplace with reliable public transportation.
Old 12-05-14, 04:50 AM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
Originally Posted by Lug
Lucky you to live someplace with reliable public transportation.
My job requires that I reliably show up for work, sometimes quickly under urgent circumstances, 24/7 when on call, and I live 14 miles away. I don't punch a clock, but 8:30 AM is a reasonable start time, and I can start working earlier as soon as I arrive. When I was hired, 32 years ago I offered the information that I would commute via bike and train (Commuter Rail station about 0.2 miles away from work, and about 2 miles from home). My employer looked dubious, but might have been desperate.

In my mind, I firmly resolved not to mess up. Besides the train, we do have a car and it’s a reverse commute from downtown to the suburbs. There is also (slow, but regular) bus service; cruising taxis are readily available round the clock in my neighborhood ($70 fare to work), plenty of convenient car rental agencies near home and work, Zipcar service in the neighborhood, and I have a place to stay at work comfortably overnight.

Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
I think of my commute in terms of satisfaction:
Cycling >>>>>Train>>>>>>>>>>>>>Driving,

But another dimension is time:
Driving>>>>>>>>>Train (scheduling)>>>>Cycling.

Then there’s Focus (concentration):
Cycling>>>>>>>>>Driving>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Train

Sometimes to do my job carefully and well, it becomes convenient to stay overnight, and expend less time and concentration getting home...
For the first few years, I occasionally had a dream about riding my bike and being far away, or lost, and trying to get there for a crucial task. One other promise I made to myself was never to borrow a car from a co-worker (vs friend or family), but I do bum rides if I the driver is going my way.

I'm well known to be always in early, even in the worst weather, and when I'm in at, or past the usual start time, people worry about me.

Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
… Humbly, if Bike Forums ever had a Best Commute Award, I would be a frontrunner.

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 12-05-14 at 10:46 AM.
Old 12-05-14, 12:53 PM
Booger1

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 7 Posts
Good for you.....Where I work,the owner commutes to work...ME!
Old 12-05-14, 01:18 PM
jrickards

Bikes: 2012 Kona Sutra, 2002 Look AL 384, 2018 Moose Fat bike

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
The only time, perhaps, that the mode of transportation to/from work might come up as important is, after hiring, the employer or employee had to make arrangements for a parking spot.
Old 12-05-14, 01:52 PM
mgw4jc

Bikes: Cannondale Synapse, Trek 5000 TCT, Giant OCR

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Quoted: 255 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 18 Posts
Be sure to invite said new-hire to drop in on these here forums.
Old 12-05-14, 02:04 PM
hueyhoolihan

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
what's the point of asking about the reliability of transportation. is anybody really going to answer, "no, i have no reliable transportation."? ridiculous. just the fact that they answered in the affirmative to such a biased question, is reason enough to eliminate them.

my policy has always been to give the answer that i think will give me the best chance of landing a job. honesty, has no place in an interview. the entire process is a waste of time for everybody concerned. all employment should be on a contingency basis. it doesn't take long to separate the wheat from the chaff.
Old 12-05-14, 02:10 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5224 Post(s)
Liked 3,585 Times in 2,344 Posts
nice! on all my interviews I bring it up voluntarily and ask of they have a shower. FYI REI does
Old 12-05-14, 02:35 PM
Mark Stone
Tractorlegs

Bikes: Schwinn Meridian Single-Speed Tricycle

Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked 60 Times in 42 Posts
Originally Posted by hueyhoolihan
what's the point of asking about the reliability of transportation. is anybody really going to answer, "no, i have no reliable transportation."? ridiculous. just the fact that they answered in the affirmative to such a biased question, is reason enough to eliminate them.

my policy has always been to give the answer that i think will give me the best chance of landing a job. honesty, has no place in an interview. the entire process is a waste of time for everybody concerned. all employment should be on a contingency basis. it doesn't take long to separate the wheat from the chaff.
It covers a legal loophole. If I ask "Do you have reliable transportation?" and they answer "yes", then when they start being late or not coming to work because of transportation issues, it allows the employer to terminate for cause and they have no recourse. If the question is not asked, and they have difficulty with attendance because of transportation, they cannot be terminated without progressive discipline (verbal warning, write-up, suspension, etc.)
Old 12-05-14, 02:38 PM
PatrickGSR94

Bikes: 2011 Felt Z85 (road/commuter), 2006 Marin Pine Mountain (utility/commuter E-bike), 1995 KHS Alite 1000 (gravel grinder)

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 676 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by rumrunn6
nice! on all my interviews I bring it up voluntarily and ask of they have a shower. FYI REI does
Nice, I will probably do that also in the future, if I ever change jobs. I love my current position and have been here since graduating college just over 10 years ago. Luckily when my office moved farther from home in 2008, the building we renovated included a shower and a bike rack outside, which got us a LEED point towards our LEED Gold certification. But I became the first person to regularly use the shower (do not use the bike rack, keep bike near desk) just last year in May 2013.
Old 12-05-14, 02:41 PM
bigbenaugust 
always rides with luggage

Bikes: 2007 Trek SU100, 2009 Fantom CX, 2012 Fantom Cross Uno, Bakfiets

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 273 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 17 Posts
When I hired on here, there was the "will you need to pay for parking?" question (it would then come out of my paycheck)... but they already knew I'd ride to work (something about my interview on bikecommuters.com coming up in google) and so were not shocked when I said no.
Previously: 2000 Trek 4500 (2000-2003), 2003 Novara Randonee (2003-2006), 2003 Giant Rainier (2003-2008), 2005 Xootr Swift (2005-2007), 2007 Nashbar 1x9 (2007-2011), 2011 Windsor Shetland (2011-2014), 2008 Citizen Folder (2015)
Non-Bike hardware: MX Linux / BunsenLabs Linux / Raspbian / Mac OS 10.6 / Android 7
Old 12-05-14, 08:22 PM
jaxgtr

Bikes: Trek Domane SLR 7 AXS, Trek CheckPoint SL7 AXS, Trek Emonda ALR AXS, Trek FX 5 Sport

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 769 Post(s)
Liked 1,749 Times in 1,017 Posts
Originally Posted by mcours2006
Very cool.

No one at my work place rides regularly, let alone to work. They all think I'm nuts anyway.
+1, I get the same looks

Old 12-05-14, 10:13 PM
Dahon.Steve

Quoted: 261 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Astrozombie
+1

A bike commuter has to factor extra 15 minutes fix a flat tire in the morning. As a result, you're in early almost every day except when you have a flat tire.
Old 12-05-14, 10:27 PM
SalsaShark

Bikes: 2014 Trek Allant drop bar conversion, modified Schwinn MTN commuter, 2015 Trek 520, Soma ES, Salsa Journeyman, 1980 Trek 414

Quoted: 178 Post(s)
Liked 355 Times in 166 Posts
Worst case scenario for a bicycle commuter is to be "just on time"

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.