Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fitting Your Bike
Reload this Page >

Looking for insight on sizing new bike

Search
Notices
Fitting Your Bike Are you confused about how you should fit a bike to your particular body dimensions? Have you been reading, found the terms Merxx or French Fit, and don’t know what you need? Every style of riding is different- in how you fit the bike to you, and the sizing of the bike itself. It’s more than just measuring your height, reach and inseam. With the help of Bike Fitting, you’ll be able to find the right fit for your frame size, style of riding, and your particular dimensions. Here ya’ go…..the location for everything fit related.

Looking for insight on sizing new bike

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-22, 09:55 PM
ryan_g

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Smile Looking for insight on sizing new bike

Hey guys! I was looking for advice on a bike I'm looking to buy. I am 175cm (5'9.5") tall with 81.5cm (32 in) inseam. Currently I ride a small Canyon Ultimate with a 54.3cm top tube. I'm looking at a bike from a frame builder with a 55cm top tube. I'm not 100% sure on the reach on the bike i'm interested in but am awaiting a response. However, what I notice about this potential bike is the seat tube and standover seem to be high. The seat tube is 555.2mm and standover is 798.8mm, where as my Canyon has a 492mm seat tube and 775mm standover. I have previously ridden a 56cm which felt just a tad big. So while the 55mm top tube appears a good fit, I am not quite sure how these higher seat tube and standover measurements would affect my fit. I do know the builder advertises using classic geometry. Any insight would be appreciated. Thank you
Old 01-29-22, 12:53 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3889 Post(s)
Liked 1,938 Times in 1,383 Posts
Originally Posted by ryan_g
Hey guys! I was looking for advice on a bike I'm looking to buy. I am 175cm (5'9.5") tall with 81.5cm (32 in) inseam. Currently I ride a small Canyon Ultimate with a 54.3cm top tube. I'm looking at a bike from a frame builder with a 55cm top tube. I'm not 100% sure on the reach on the bike i'm interested in but am awaiting a response. However, what I notice about this potential bike is the seat tube and standover seem to be high. The seat tube is 555.2mm and standover is 798.8mm, where as my Canyon has a 492mm seat tube and 775mm standover. I have previously ridden a 56cm which felt just a tad big. So while the 55mm top tube appears a good fit, I am not quite sure how these higher seat tube and standover measurements would affect my fit. I do know the builder advertises using classic geometry. Any insight would be appreciated. Thank you
Use a stick to find your minimum standover. I like to have 2cm clearance because not everywhere is dead flat. I have only 1 cm on one bike and every now and then it gets me.
Old 01-30-22, 01:21 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6193 Post(s)
Liked 4,809 Times in 3,317 Posts
32" inseam actually measured from snug in the crotch to the ground or from your pant size?

As I said in the other thread of yours, don't worry too much about stand over. It's one of the least important measurements given for a bike geometry, IMO.

If you have experience with other bikes of that type and style of cycling... road, off road, gravel, etc, then think about what you liked and didn't like for their fit. Compare their geometry to the bikes you are looking at.

Your ideal saddle height from the pedal furthest away will pretty much be the same across all bikes in that genre and even when crossing into other genres. So frame stack will tell you about what your saddle to handlebar height might be when compared to another bike. You just don't raise the bars to your ideal position on any bike. You buy the bike for the position you want.

There are a lot of little things that all go together or work against each other for making a bike fit you. So it's best to try them on in person. Better yet is to ride each one for an hour or so. What ever the seller will let you get away with.

If you have no experience what so ever, then at the very least trust the manufacturer sizing. If you are between two sizes, and want a more aggressive fit, then go for the smaller size. If you want to sit up, go for the larger size of that model. You might have to change the stem length with either.

And listen to the guy at the bike shop. In most cases they aren't just trying to sell you what they have. And listen to the comments of any other that has an opinion. Don't get so caught up in the aesthetic beauty and appeal the bike has to you that you buy the wrong bike that can't possibly put you in the riding position you want or is not the type bike for the riding you do.