Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Introductions
Reload this Page >

Old but not dead.... yet.

Search
Notices
Introductions Welcome to the BikeForums community! Please introduce yourself to other forum members here.

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-22, 08:12 PM
Trailgranny
Former RecumbenTrike shop

Bikes: 2012 Recumbent Hase Kettwiesel Delta trike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts

Lordy it sucks to get old but I'm dealing with it the best I can. No balance left so recumbent trike is my cycling mode. Have 60# Standard Poodle that jogs along with me till she gets pooped out then I let her ride in her "chariot". I'm way past worrying about how fast I can go, dog a deterrent too, so I'm more into just riding as close to every day as I can and occasional distance rides up to 25 miles. My ride is a 2012 Hase Kettwiesel delta trike that I bought used and added a front hub motor to allow me to ride longer as I age more. I worked all of 2021 in the local recumbent trike shop after I'd bought my first trike and moved up to this one after I'd been there several months. The shop was interesting and I learned a lot while catching their books and inventory up for all of 2020 after the world went crazy. Ended up mostly running the place and even working on assembling, adjusting and repairing some. Customers were a blast, boss not so much. I'm not there anymore as I couldn't care for the semi invalid boss, run the business and be there for the in home health care client who is also a dear friend. Anyway, my trike is my physical therapy and stabilizes my sanity. Just being outside and active is worth every penny I've spent since I started riding. Hope everyone who is riding is enjoying the heck out of their time as much as me.
Likes For Trailgranny:
Old 01-30-22, 08:18 PM
TonyLee

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Keep on doing what you like to do. That’s what matters!
Old 01-30-22, 09:05 PM
Trailgranny

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Old...er

Originally Posted by TonyLee
Keep on doing what you like to do. That’s what matters!
Thanks! That's exactly what I plan to do. Thankfully here in Oklahoma, and even in my small, small, small town I'm able to find lots of places to get miles in. Made a few friends riding local city lake, mostly my dog's friends, but none to ride with. Everyone knows Emma but just can't place me without her! The combination of a recumbent trike and dog in or out of a trailer is a conversation starter for sure. See some of my old customers as well on occasion. With several physical issues the trike is the perfect method to stay flexible and give knees a rest too.
Old 01-30-22, 09:13 PM
SpedFast
Just Pedaling

Bikes: YEP!

Quoted: 334 Post(s)
Liked 522 Times in 348 Posts
You go girl!
Old 01-30-22, 09:29 PM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3240 Post(s)
Liked 2,086 Times in 1,181 Posts
I worry about how I'll keep a bike at a senior care facility when I'm into my 90's. Had a friend who rode late in his 80's, was an inspiration. Just keep riding is my attitude, though my oldest brother wishes I would give up Mt, biking.
Old 01-30-22, 10:16 PM
Trailgranny

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Mtb

Originally Posted by Steve B.
I worry about how I'll keep a bike at a senior care facility when I'm into my 90's. Had a friend who rode late in his 80's, was an inspiration. Just keep riding is my attitude, though my oldest brother wishes I would give up Mt, biking.
I never was a bike rider until I had to quit riding my horse because if ankle, knee and back pain. Just sat around for a while moping then got over myself and went to the recumbent trike because it's easy on off, no falling, saves my back, knees and now disintegrating neck. I could never hunch over like I see so many folks do. But that's just me. As long as you're good with riding ANYTHING and not taking any tumbles keep on keeping on. If we stop too long we'll just rust into immobility, sieze up as it were.
Likes For Trailgranny:
Old 01-30-22, 10:36 PM
downtube42

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Gen 3, Soma Fog Cutter, Focus Mares AL, Detroit Bikes Sparrow FG, Volae Team, Nimbus MUni

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 896 Post(s)
Liked 2,064 Times in 1,081 Posts
I was at a bike co-op in Denton, TX and ran across what remains my favorite restroom graffiti: The only age is Not Dead Yet.

Keep on triking.
Old 01-31-22, 04:08 AM
delbiker1 
Mother Nature's Son

Bikes: 2014 Orbea Avant MD30, 2004 Airborne Zeppelin TI, 2003 Lemond Poprad, 2001 Lemond Tourmalet, 2014? Soma Smoothie

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 853 Post(s)
Liked 1,437 Times in 819 Posts
There are a lot of issues with getting old. For me, the diminishing of coordination and dexterity is very frustrating. I try to be accepting of age related issues, without surrendering to them. Riding bicycles is one of the few things left that I still feel childlike while doing. I hope to keep that until until it is my time to leave this world. Keep pedaling and be safe.
Likes For delbiker1:
Old 02-02-22, 11:09 AM
delbiker1 
Mother Nature's Son

Bikes: 2014 Orbea Avant MD30, 2004 Airborne Zeppelin TI, 2003 Lemond Poprad, 2001 Lemond Tourmalet, 2014? Soma Smoothie

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 853 Post(s)
Liked 1,437 Times in 819 Posts
Originally Posted by bongaarts
Oh thanks! More power to you.
Welcome to the BikeForums. The knowledge of members, and the willingness to help, has added much to my 2 wheeled world.