Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Tandem Cycling
Reload this Page >

What tire recommended to go tubeless?

Search
Notices
Tandem Cycling A bicycle built for two. Want to find out more about this wonderful world of tandems? Check out this forum to talk with other tandem enthusiasts. Captains and stokers welcome!

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-22, 04:04 PM
fooferdoggie 

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 680 Post(s)
Liked 949 Times in 556 Posts

out mid drive tandem came with schwalbe energizer 700x40 and they were fine bu then we started getting more flats after we wore the first one out. Also when I got new wheels with cliffhanger rims they are a bit wider and the tire spread out more and would rub the fender. I have several schwalbe marathon plus tires 38's they work ok but the ride is harsher and slower. it takes more effort. I was thinking of going tubeless as I found you can use other sealers in there that don't dry out. so it maybe the way to go. Schwalbe Marathon Almotion looks good but I don't know how it rides md how hard it is to get on. any other ideas? we weight wit the bike around 4000 pounds and most on ride and a tiny bit on hard packed trails.
Old 12-11-22, 05:17 PM
DangerousDanR

Bikes: Time Scylon, Lynskey R350, Ritchey Breakaway, Ritchey Double Switchback, Lynskey Ridgeline, ICAN Fatbike

Quoted: 464 Post(s)
Liked 547 Times in 307 Posts
All up on our tandem, Mrs. Dan, myself, and our luggage run right around 450-500 pounds. I have run the Almotion on the tandem. They were OK. But I swapped them for Continental GP5000 700X32 tubeless.

For a whole host of reasons, I prefer the feel of Continental GP5000. Because we don't have an assisted tandem yet, the GP5000 does roll much faster. Comfort wise, both are fine. The GP5000 corner faster and my stoker has noticed that on fast corners there is less drift with the GP5000s.

I swapped the Almotion to my Commuter/Gravel/Touring bike for the summer. They were just fine. In fact, they are better on a gravel road. And we got about 2000 miles on the rear of the tandem from a GP5000, while the Almotion did maybe 1000 miles on the tandem before going over to the C/G/T where they have maybe another 1000. They still have a lot of tread left. I have had zero flats with either.
Old 12-11-22, 09:44 PM
fooferdoggie 

but they are too small. going to need a bigger tire. that limits things for sure. found this one https://www.theproscloset.com/produc...0-tpi-tubeless
Old 12-12-22, 01:27 AM
DangerousDanR

Bikes: Time Scylon, Lynskey R350, Ritchey Breakaway, Ritchey Double Switchback, Lynskey Ridgeline, ICAN Fatbike

I have just started running a Vittoria Corsa 2.0 on my solo bike. I bought it because I couldn't find a GP5000 25mm tire locally.

It is every bit as good as the GP5000 with the exception that it has been loosing pressure faster. Not a big deal, since it is on a recreational bike and I have a compressor to top them up before each ride.

The commuter now has 45Nrth Gravdal tires, but when the ice is gone next spring I'll put the Almotions back on it.

How wide are your rims? I run 25 mm tires on my solo road bikes on 21 mm rims. The GP5000 and the Corsa 2.0 are good with that. I'm running the 32mm Contis on 21 mm wide rims as well.

If your rims are too wide for the 32 mm GP5000, the Almotions are ok. Just not as high performance as the GP5000.
Old 12-12-22, 09:38 AM
fooferdoggie 

25mm
https://www.velocityusa.com/product/...iff-hanger-622
Old 12-12-22, 11:04 AM
DangerousDanR

If I were you I would probably go with the Almotions. With the assisted bike the difference in rolling resistance should not matter and with the correct inflation they should ride just fine. When I bought them they were among the lowest rolling resistance for touring tires.

And my experience with the Almotions was that they have a great tread life and I never have had a puncture.
Likes For DangerousDanR:
Old 12-12-22, 12:52 PM
fooferdoggie 

Originally Posted by DangerousDanR
If I were you I would probably go with the Almotions. With the assisted bike the difference in rolling resistance should not matter and with the correct inflation they should ride just fine. When I bought them they were among the lowest rolling resistance for touring tires.

And my experience with the Almotions was that they have a great tread life and I never have had a puncture.
we still feel it. after 10,000 miles on the bike you get to know the feel pretty well.
Old 12-12-22, 09:32 PM
Leisesturm

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2495 Post(s)
Liked 738 Times in 522 Posts
Originally Posted by fooferdoggie
we still feel it. after 10,000 miles on the bike you get to know the feel pretty well.
I'm with Dan on this one. You can't possibly 'feel' it with the motor on, and with the motor off there would be other forces complicating a straight A/B comparison which is itself complicated by the fact that ... ... whatever. Let's say you 'do' feel it. And? What? I wouldn't make it a deal-breaker. Those tires you linked would be an absolute disaster! In a standard tubed situation with Rhynodillo or Mr. Tuffy liners maybe, but as tubeless??? I'd start my stopwatch and wait for the new threads from you. You and I ride in pretty much the same area. Don't do it. Don't go tubeless. It's not for you. If your Schwalbe's wore out ... get new ones? If they don't make them anymore I can recommend Bontrager HardCase H2's or you can use just about anything you want with tire liners.
Old 12-12-22, 09:49 PM
fooferdoggie 

its more my wife feels it because she van peddle with the motor freewheeling so she feels it. I could probably see a little more battery use but who knows. I tried a schwalbe gravel combo tire and it took more watts to ride with it but the ride was less harsh. but it wore fast was prone to flats. the marathons are just a harsh ride and hard on my wife. they do hold up really well. I use a sealant and sometimes it helps sometimes not. on my commuter I would only get a flat or two a year with them. but they beat me up on that bike too. my wife had her shoulder replaced so a harsh ride is harder on her. we ride right at the threshold where the motor cuts off so we get very little assistance when we are riding on the flats and feeling good. love the protection of the marathons but the ride is so harsh. but 38c is a odd size and pretty limited. I have a couple energizer tires but they just don't fit under the fender now. 3 or 4 marathons enough for several years those things last so long. not sure o the tandem how lengthy will last but. Got 8000 miles on my commuter.

Last edited by fooferdoggie; 12-12-22 at 09:52 PM.
Old 12-23-22, 09:28 PM
fooferdoggie 

well got a Almotion (man they are expensive) got some dt-swiss rim tape and some valves. cleaned everything with alcohol two layers of tape and that tire was far easier to mount then the marathons are. my makita cordless pump could not inflate it so I used a CO2 cartridge then I used the new thiner flat-out and reinflated. it would leak and I would swirl around til it sealed well. We only got one ride in and of course it rained but my wife sure noticed the difference (remember she was blind so did not see the new tire) and we used less assist. but the ride was on city streets in the rain and dark so we need better conditions but she loved the tire. so I bought another tire and this time put the flat out in before I fully put on the tire instead of through the valve thats much easier.
hope to ride by Sunday f the snow and ice melt. I bought a Dynaplug® Tubeless Tire Puncture Repair Tools and Accessories to fix holes. I had forgotten how good the bike felt with the tires it came with.

Last edited by fooferdoggie; 12-23-22 at 09:38 PM.
Old 02-14-23, 03:32 PM
Chilepines

Bikes: 1984 homemade 531SL road bike; 1988 Ritchey TimberComp; 1997 Nashbar tandem; 1998 Kona Explosif; Specialized Epic, Scott CR1 Pro; Salsa Beargrease; Curtlo custom Tandem, Curtlo custom S3 steel gravel bike.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 37 Posts
Why go tubeless? Having been there on the tandem I' not going back. I love tubeless on my fat bike, mountain bike and gravel bike because it allows me to run lower pressure without pinching. But I'm not going to run those pressures on the tandem.
One problem with carbon hookless rims was the 38c tire blowing off the rim (luckily not when we were riding) the inflated to a mere 65 psi. We ran 55 psi after that and it was fine.
The next problem was a leak that I could not solve on a 4 day tour. That is a whole story but after all that I'm not sure what I thought I was getting out of going tubeless.
Old 02-14-23, 04:31 PM
fooferdoggie 

Originally Posted by Chilepines
Why go tubeless? Having been there on the tandem I' not going back. I love tubeless on my fat bike, mountain bike and gravel bike because it allows me to run lower pressure without pinching. But I'm not going to run those pressures on the tandem.
One problem with carbon hookless rims was the 38c tire blowing off the rim (luckily not when we were riding) the inflated to a mere 65 psi. We ran 55 psi after that and it was fine.
The next problem was a leak that I could not solve on a 4 day tour. That is a whole story but after all that I'm not sure what I thought I was getting out of going tubeless.
I wanted some way to deal with flats but get rid of the harsh ride of the marathon tires. plus the rims were tubeless ready. what stopped me before is dealing with changing out the sealant as it dries. once flat out came out with a thinner formula that does not dry out I figured I would give it a try. so far its been great I run the tires at 50 psi they are smoother and far faster and my wife really likes the ride now. Plus with a dynaplug tool flats should be much easier to deal with. then I changed my commuter over and it gave me 3 miles a hour faster and a lot more plush ride. overall our average speed increased 1mph though if we were feeling better it may be better. Plus the tires dont need air for the most part. the back went a month before it lost any air.
Old 02-14-23, 10:15 PM
Chilepines

Bikes: 1984 homemade 531SL road bike; 1988 Ritchey TimberComp; 1997 Nashbar tandem; 1998 Kona Explosif; Specialized Epic, Scott CR1 Pro; Salsa Beargrease; Curtlo custom Tandem, Curtlo custom S3 steel gravel bike.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 37 Posts
Make sure you carry a tube that fits! My problem was not a puncture but a sidewall issue that kept the tire from seating, and sealant just kept coming out. That could not be fixed with a Dynaplug or any other similar type system. In our case I forgot that the 45 mm deep carbon rims need long valve stems so the pare tubes I had were useless!
Old 02-15-23, 11:11 AM
sapporoguy

Bikes: 2000 Santana Sovereign SE; 2005 Co-Motion Speedster; Kona Kilauea with various dorky commuter accoutrements; Mercier Kilo TT fixie; Burley Fladbed trailer for groceries, bags of cement and the like.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 41 Posts
Why go tubeless? Having been there on the tandem I' not going back.
It's unfortunate you had bad luck with tubeless on tandem.
We went tubeless on the tandem last summer and rode most of the way across the South fully loaded in the fall, including through lots of goathead territory, with no flats or major problems. The ride was good. We'd typically pump to 60 and ride a few days until the pressure was close to 50 before pumping back up to 60.
The 700 x 38c Schwalbe Marathon Almotions went onto the tubeless rims and inflated the first time, using only the standard floor pump. I left them overnight before adding sealant through the valves, just to make sure the tires were seated and sealed even without the liquid.
When the back tire wore down in Texas, I changed to a fresh tubeless tire in a motel room using a CO2 cartridge to initially seat the tire and then letting the CO2 out before adding sealant and pumping back up with fresh air using the small frame pump.
The only problem, about 3,500 miles in, was a slow leak that seemed to come "unhealed" every few days and leave the tires at about 40lbs overnight. I put in a tube, then later took it out and put in fresh sealant, and we're still riding tubeless on that tire months later with no issues.
On our prior cross-country trip, we had multiple tube failures--punctures, pinch flats, overheated rims, weird abrasions--so the tubeless success was welcome.
Likes For sapporoguy:
Old 02-15-23, 11:21 AM
fooferdoggie 

Make sure you carry a tube that fits! My problem was not a puncture but a sidewall issue that kept the tire from seating, and sealant just kept coming out. That could not be fixed with a Dynaplug or any other similar type system. In our case I forgot that the 45 mm deep carbon rims need long valve stems so the pare tubes I had were useless!
yep but only one instead of three.