Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Folding Bikes
Reload this Page >

Dahon MU SL Light 20" folder. (NICE)

Search
Notices
Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

Dahon MU SL Light 20" folder. (NICE)

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-24, 11:14 PM
Duragrouch

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 841 Post(s)
Liked 456 Times in 364 Posts
Originally Posted by Jipe
Indeed, the narrow rim changes the tire profile to a round shape.

If the rim is really narrow, this round shape only rest on the rim on a small part of the round and when cornering, there is big lateral tire shape deformation (the tire is pushed on one side of the rim) which is even bigger if the tire pressure is low.
That is true. There's also more of a bending angle between the tire bead and the sidewall (even when just rolling straight), which can prematurely fatigue that area.

Some things may not be hard rules, but still, "best practices".
Old 04-30-24, 06:36 AM
Schwinnsta
Schwinnasaur

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 462 Post(s)
Liked 188 Times in 125 Posts
Originally Posted by Duragrouch
That is true. There's also more of a bending angle between the tire bead and the sidewall (even when just rolling straight), which can prematurely fatigue that area.

No, not true. Where is your evidence? Your analysis is wrong.

If I were to take your advice, I would be riding on 1/2 inch less wide. tire that were less stable and less comfortable. In two or three years I should see some signs or harm or feel something is wrong, but I don't.

It is a myth.
Old 04-30-24, 07:23 AM
Jipe

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 807 Post(s)
Liked 250 Times in 214 Posts
This table is an ISO recommendation defined by a committee of experts.

As always for such recommendations, the value have been chosen to be safe in the worst case, i.e. worst case for tire construction, for tire pressure, for tire load... + a safety margin.

If you follow these recommendations, you are sure to be safe, if you are infringing them, you may have safety issues or not, its your own risk.

The fact that you do not experience problems while infringing the recommendation is not a proof that these recommendation are wrong, only that you are not in a worst case condition.
Old 04-30-24, 08:03 AM
Sentinel1

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Schwinnsta

If I were to take your advice, I would be riding on 1/2 inch less wide. tire that were less stable and less comfortable. In two or three years I should see some signs or harm or feel something is wrong, but I don't.

It is a myth.
When I first rode the SL with the 38mm VEE Speedsters. I didnt have enough pressure in them. 60 on the rear and 45 on the front. As I had pumped them to 90 and 70 a week earlier. But hadn't realized they had lost that much pressure. And I felt alot of movement on the tires. But since I got them back up to 80 plus pressure they've been good. And as others say its the trade in comfort and handling potholes and cracks etc vs a bit of speed and rolling resistance. Where I live the roads are AWFUL.

The 1.1 inch Schwalbes are faster but feel rough on the roads of Croydon. I will experiment with 32mm and 35mm going forward. I would never go over 38mm. How the guy on youtube got 55mm monster Maxxis hookworms on these Kinetix rims is beyond me.

Last edited by Sentinel1; 04-30-24 at 08:07 AM.
Old 04-30-24, 01:20 PM
Duragrouch

Sentinel1,

You may want to have a look on this thread:

https://www.bikeforums.net/commuting...rak-bikes.html

The guy (original poster) is looking for a bike for a train trip (not commuting, so thread might get moved to touring). He wants something sporty and light like a road bike. I posted that he may want to look at a Dahon Mu or Tern X series. You might want to chime in there. Please note, they guy doesn't want to spend for a new bike, but craigslist here has tons of Bike Fridays, Dahons, and Terns for sale used.

You may want to read my recent post, see if more info needs to be added. Thanks.
Old 04-30-24, 01:27 PM
Sentinel1

Sentinel1,

You may want to have a look on this thread:

https://www.bikeforums.net/commuting...rak-bikes.html

The guy (original poster) is looking for a bike for a train trip (not commuting, so thread might get moved to touring). He wants something sporty and light like a road bike. I posted that he may want to look at a Dahon Mu or Tern X series. You might want to chime in there. Please note, they guy doesn't want to spend for a new bike, but craigslist here has tons of Bike Fridays, Dahons, and Terns for sale used.

You may want to read my recent post, see if more info needs to be added. Thanks.
How you doing bro? Okay thanks for that I will a look.
Old 04-30-24, 01:41 PM
Duragrouch

Originally Posted by Sentinel1
How you doing bro? Okay thanks for that I will a look.
Thanks for asking. I need to get on the bike and get back in shape. We've been having frequent rain this time of year. I hate riding my bike in the rain, the road grit trashes drivetrain, brakes, and water even penetrates all bearings on the cheap components on my bike. It's a full overhaul after a good soaking. So I check forecast and weather radar before going out.
Old 04-30-24, 02:21 PM
Sentinel1

Thanks for asking. I need to get on the bike and get back in shape. We've been having frequent rain this time of year. I hate riding my bike in the rain, the road grit trashes drivetrain, brakes, and water even penetrates all bearings on the cheap components on my bike. It's a full overhaul after a good soaking. So I check forecast and weather radar before going out.
I hear you. What country do you live in? In the UK I've never seen so much rain in my 60 years. And like you I often want to go out and am put off by the thought of getting soaked. I had covid bad in 2020. So try to avoid getting bad colds and flu etc. But as soon as we get a decent run of good weather. I will be out there often. I've got 20lbs of gut to knock off myself lol. October last year I weighed 178lbs. Now I weight 199lbs. Thats got to change.
Old 04-30-24, 02:41 PM
Duragrouch

I hear you. What country do you live in? In the UK I've never seen so much rain in my 60 years. And like you I often want to go out and am put off by the thought of getting soaked. I had covid bad in 2020. So try to avoid getting bad colds and flu etc. But as soon as we get a decent run of good weather. I will be out there often. I've got 20lbs of gut to knock off myself lol. October last year I weighed 178lbs. Now I weight 199lbs. Thats got to change.
I'm almost the same weight and ideally I need to lose about 40 lbs, I think I'm shorter than you.

I live in the pacific northwest of the USA, the winters are rainy and the summers are blue sky and usually drought, but the water banked in the winters carries us through that well.

I only had one bout of covid after a couple vaccines, happened right after a return train trip and bus shuttles where the mask mandate had been lifted and other people were being careless. Fortunately I home tested so detected within 48 hours, and thus was able to get a prescription over the phone for two medications that greatly cut short the illness if taken early, and I was better in days.

That train trip was my first with my folder, was fabulously easy. Air travel will be much more difficult, needing to break the bike up into two parcels to meet max dimensions, pack up, unpack and assemble, then the reverse upon returning. I would either need a place to stash to cases, or fab each time from cardboard, a pain. I wish the airlines had dedicated padded bags for folders. I also wish we had high-speed rail service here. I could not sit for a 24 hour train ride, and a sleep cabin is usually 4X the cost of air travel. If economical, I might train a few hours, get off and bike tour a few days, and alternate that.

Last edited by Duragrouch; 04-30-24 at 02:45 PM.
Old 04-30-24, 02:57 PM
Sentinel1

I'm almost the same weight and ideally I need to lose about 40 lbs, I think I'm shorter than you.

I live in the pacific northwest of the USA, the winters are rainy and the summers are blue sky and usually drought, but the water banked in the winters carries us through that well.

I only had one bout of covid after a couple vaccines, happened right after a return train trip and bus shuttles where the mask mandate had been lifted and other people were being careless. Fortunately I home tested so detected within 48 hours, and thus was able to get a prescription over the phone for two medications that greatly cut short the illness if taken early, and I was better in days.

That train trip was my first with my folder, was fabulously easy. Air travel will be much more difficult, needing to break the bike up into two parcels to meet max dimensions, pack up, unpack and assemble, then the reverse upon returning. I would either need a place to stash to cases, or fab each time from cardboard, a pain. I wish the airlines had dedicated padded bags for folders. I also wish we had high-speed rail service here. I could not sit for a 24 hour train ride, and a sleep cabin is usually 4X the cost of air travel. If economical, I might train a few hours, get off and bike tour a few days, and alternate that.
About 20 years ago I had an American girlfriend who lived in Lewisville Texas. I remember how hot it could get there. And when it got cold it was cold. It could snow one day. And the next day the fierce sun would melt everything. I saw a tornado in the 2 years I lived out there and that scared the he'll outta me. The awesome destructive power of nature is quite something.

I've never travelled alot with my folder. On the odd occasion I've jumped on a train if the weather turned. Well I'm 5 8" so not too tall. But I just love riding my folders. And can't wait for the good weather.

Have you ever filmed any of your Rides. It was so funny because I tried to film a trip a few weeks ago using my cellphone. And it's just too shaky. I think I'm going to have to invest in a go pro for the summer. Be nice to get some footage of places I explore. Lets get that weight off bro...

Last edited by Sentinel1; 04-30-24 at 03:01 PM.
Old 04-30-24, 03:02 PM
Duragrouch

About 20 years ago I had an American girlfriend who lived in Lewisville Texas. I remember how hot it could get there. And when it got cold it was cold. It could snow one day. And the next day the fierce sun would melt everything. I saw a tornado in the 2 years I lived out there and that scared the he'll outta me. The awesome destructive power of nature is quite something.

I've never travelled alot with my folder. On the odd occasion I've jumped on a train if the weather turned. Well I'm 5 8" so not too tall. But I just love riding my folders. And can't wait for the good weather.

Have you ever filmed any of your Rides. It was so funny because I tried to film a trip a few weeks ago using my cellphone. And it's just too shaky. I think I'm going to have to invest in a go pro for the summer. Be nice to get some footage of placed I explore.
No film, but I take 10,000 times more pics now that I have a smartphone (only two years now).

In May decades ago, I was driving north out of Los Angeles heading north, as I got into the hills, poppies in full bloom, there were a few faint snow fleuries, I was told later there are areas of microclimates.

I always disliked hot climates, but I wouldn't live in Texas now if you paid me, for other reasons.
Old 04-30-24, 03:06 PM
Sentinel1

No film, but I take 10,000 times more pics now that I have a smartphone (only two years now).

In May decades ago, I was driving north out of Los Angeles heading north, as I got into the hills, poppies in full bloom, there were a few faint snow fleuries, I was told later there are areas of microclimates.

I always disliked hot climates, but I wouldn't live in Texas now if you paid me, for other reasons.
Tell me more why you wouldn't. I was only there because of my relationship. It's a huge state. And almost seems like a country of its own. What's life in America like now bro. I haven't been there since 2005. Are you worried about the presidential election. You really aren't spoilt for choice are you. Jailbird Trump. And what day is it Biden.
Old 04-30-24, 03:43 PM
Duragrouch

Tell me more why you wouldn't. I was only there because of my relationship. It's a huge state. And almost seems like a country of its own. What's life in America like now bro. I haven't been there since 2005. Are you worried about the presidential election. You really aren't spoilt for choice are you. Jailbird Trump. And what day is it Biden.
I'll message your privately; I don't want to run afoul of moderator rules, which I respect, that put all Politics & Religion discussions in that subgroup.
Old 04-30-24, 03:59 PM
Sentinel1

I'll message your privately; I don't want to run afoul of moderator rules, which I respect, that put all Politics & Religion discussions in that subgroup.
Yes I appreciate that...
Old 05-01-24, 10:11 AM
Schwinnsta
Schwinnasaur

Originally Posted by Schwinnsta

It is a myth.

Indeed, the narrow rim changes the tire profile to a round shape.

If the rim is really narrow, this round shape only rest on the rim on a small part of the round and when cornering, there is big lateral tire shape deformation (the tire is pushed on one side of the rim) which is even bigger if the tire pressure is low.
I question this. The tire contains the air, but it is the air, not the tire, that supports the bike.

One of the negatives I have noticed about putting "too wide" tires on narrow rims, is that they are harder to fit. We don't know, at least I don't why they have the limitations on narrowness. As in my reference, I can see why they have the limitations on the wide side.
Old 05-01-24, 10:18 AM
Jipe

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 807 Post(s)
Liked 250 Times in 214 Posts
If you look at rim and wheel specifications given by the rim and wheel manufacturers, they also give a range of tires width that fit on their rim and wheels with a minimum and a maximum allowed width.

So its not only the ETRTO ISO specification that gives width limitations in function of inner rim width, the manufacturers also do it and they know the products they have designed.better than any user.
Old 05-01-24, 10:48 AM
Schwinnsta
Schwinnasaur

If you look at rim and wheel specifications given by the rim and wheel manufacturers, they also give a range of tires width that fit on their rim and wheels with a minimum and a maximum allowed width.

So its not only the ETRTO ISO specification that gives width limitations in function of inner rim width, the manufacturers also do it and they know the products they have designed.better than any user.
These charts are probably general guidelines. We do not know the reasons why you should not use a less wide rims. Your explanations are just guesses given as the explanation.

Another thing about the chart is that it does not consider the rim diameter. Were there tests done with all diameters? Are there separate charts for all diameters.