Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

BackPack on Back of Bike (touring)

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-07, 12:55 AM
pauldaley

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I want to be able to go trekking when i go touring as well ...

has anyone out there strapped a backpack of some sort to the back of their tourer ?

I really want to be able to set up camp somewhere (Canarvon, Daintree, Kakadu, for example) and leave my bike in the bushes, and go on a walk-about

I'm not into the idea of travelling with a trailer, but maybe this is the only option

my friend who is riding up to Darwin at the moment on a motor bike, has an army backpack strapped to the back of his bike ...

it would be perfect.. as i think it would fit on the top of some racks ... but just don't know where you'd find them ... the older, canvas style ones... with lots of straps to attach bits and peices too

any ideas ?

has anyone done this ?
Old 12-14-07, 01:58 AM
SweetLou

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Sure, you can put a backpack on your rack. Big ones might be a bit of a problem, not sure though, I don't own a big one like the one I had in the Army. But, I have seen some panniers that are also backpacks. Nashbar has one https://www.nashbar.com/profile.cfm?sku=9036
There are other brands also. Someone mentioned using a grocery pannier and putting the backpack in it. A little cheaper and you can use the grocery pannier for trips to the store.
Old 12-14-07, 02:31 AM
Juha
Formerly Known as Newbie

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Have a look at "collapsable" backpacks (I don't know a better term for it). I mean backpacks that pack into a small carrying pouch when not in use. Mine packs into the size and shape of a 6 inch Subway sub, and weighs 300g. It's no match for a real backpack in terms of carrying comfort or capacity, but then I don't do multi-day treks when I'm bike touring. For the occasional day trip it's OK. Various manufacturers make these, the better backpacks in the mix might be good enough for more serious trekking. They probably don't pack quite as small though.

--J

Who is this General Failure anyway, and why is he reading my drive?

Become a Registered Member in Bike Forums
Community guidelines
Old 12-14-07, 03:07 AM
jamawani 
Hooked on Touring

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 350 Post(s)
Liked 143 Times in 93 Posts
Well - I call it hiking, not trekking - but I've been doing it for 20 years on bike tours. And I'm not talking about wussy little two-milers. I've hiked across the Sierras in Yosemite, crossed the Grand Canyon about a half dozen times, gone to high Alpine lakes all over Glacier, hiked deep into the wilderness in Yellowstone, Banff, Jasper, Kluane in the Yukon, and Denali.

How?

I take a mid-weight backpack on top of the back rack.
Normally, I just keep all my camping stuff in it - tent, sleeping bag, pad.
When I switch to hiking mode, I repack carefully using expansion on the sides and bottom.
That way I can go out for two, three, even four days comfortably.

Here's my set up:

My backpack is a Kelty Redwing 2900.
https://www0.epinions.com/content_117369769604
I had a simpler Kelty beforehand with only a main and a top compartment.
This one is a little more than I need and a bit heavier.

It looks heavy, but remember, the backpack on the back rack is mostly air.
Plus, I can have my tent set up in seconds in case of bad weather.

Best - J
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Lucy_at_Delta_BF.jpg (76.4 KB, 115 views)
File Type: jpg
Lucy_at_Chief_Mountain_MM.jpg (98.1 KB, 131 views)

Last edited by jamawani; 12-14-07 at 03:18 AM.
Old 12-14-07, 06:16 AM
gz_
FREE DEATHHARE

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I used a backpack when touring and it worked out alright and was helpful for hiking, but was really bulky and didn't fit well on the rack. For next time I'm looking at getting the REI Flash which is pretty much a stuff sack, but has straps so you can carry it on your back.

https://thegearjunkie.com/rei-flash-ultra-light-backpack
Old 12-14-07, 06:28 AM
staehpj1

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1251 Post(s)
Liked 759 Times in 563 Posts
Originally Posted by jamawani
Well - I call it hiking, not trekking - but I've been doing it for 20 years on bike tours. And I'm not talking about wussy little two-milers. I've hiked across the Sierras in Yosemite, crossed the Grand Canyon about a half dozen times, gone to high Alpine lakes all over Glacier, hiked deep into the wilderness in Yellowstone, Banff, Jasper, Kluane in the Yukon, and Denali.
I would be interested in the logistics of how you did these trips. Where did you leave your bike, etc. Do you have an online journal for any of these trips?

It sounds like a very cool way to travel and really see the country. We did the TA this Summer and it was great, but if I was on a more open ended time schedule it sure would have been nice to have done some multi-day hikes in places like the Cascades, Yellowstone, and the Tetons.

Last edited by staehpj1; 12-14-07 at 07:47 AM.
Old 12-14-07, 07:52 AM
TheBrick
Tinkerer since 1980

Bikes: Coppi racer, Old school BMX, some random a fixed wheel convertion

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Never done it but I would think (and seems this is what others have done) is just to pack normally in your panniers and just take the pack pack unloaded or only with whatwould sit on the top of your rack any way packed inside strapped to the top of your rack. This way the only extra weight you are carrying is that of the back pack it's self.
Old 12-14-07, 08:55 AM
acantor
Macro Geek

Bikes: True North tourer (www.truenorthcycles.com), 2004; Miyata 1000, 1985

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 7 Posts
It is not a problem carrying a backpack. I sometimes do light hiking on my bicycle tours. I have a mid-sized day pack bungee corded to the top of the rear rack. Normally it holds lightweight bulky items (e.g., warm weather gear), but when I want to hike, I empty it and just take the stuff I need to carry.

If you need to take a large backpack, opt for one without a stiff frame (or one that has removable stays), roll it up, and squeeze it in where ever you can find the space.
Old 12-14-07, 09:39 AM
n4zou
Scott

Bikes: Too Many

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I use a backpack as a pannier on my touring bike. It's easy to do. You need a frame so you can easily attach the backpack to the frame and the frame to the rack. 1/2” PVC plumbing pipe works fine. It's cheap, lightweight, easy to cut and glue, and provides a little more space for water. Purchase your backpack taking into consideration it's size. You cant use one that really big, it's got to fit on the rack and provide space for your heal. I found a backpack at a yard sale made for students in high school. Measure the back of the backpack and fabricate your pipe frame to fit it. Be sure the shoulder straps can be tightened up on it. You'll also need to add a few Velcro straps to keep the backpack firmly held to the frame. Use Velcro so no tools are required to remove the backpack to the frame. Measure and cut your pipe and test fit the pipe frame before you glue all the joints. You only have a few seconds to fit the pipe in the fittings with glue and once glued you'll never get them apart! Also take into consideration how your going to mount the frame to the rack. You'll need a section of pipe in the frame that will hang from the top of the rack. Here is a photo of the back of my backpack hanging on the rack.

Note how the pipe frame is strapped to the rack with Velcro straps. You can see a Velcro strap stuck on the rack so you know what your looking for. You just loop it around whatever your going to strap down and wrap it around itself. It will hold firmly and it's easy to remove. Also use them to secure excess lengths of the shoulder straps so they don't get tangled in the spokes or hub. At the top of the pipe frame I used a “T” fitting with a removable cap. This allows filling the frame with water for those times you'll be traveling in areas with no clean water easily available.
Here is a photo of my bike with my backpack pannier. I also used surplus gas mask bags as panniers on the front rack.

Here is another photo from a tour a couple of years ago so you can see how loaded up I was.

Last edited by n4zou; 12-14-07 at 09:45 AM.
Old 12-14-07, 10:11 AM
staehpj1

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1251 Post(s)
Liked 759 Times in 563 Posts
Originally Posted by n4zou
I use a backpack as a pannier on my touring bike. It's easy to do. You need a frame so you can easily attach the backpack to the frame and the frame to the rack. 1/2” PVC plumbing pipe works fine. It's cheap, lightweight, easy to cut and glue, and provides a little more space for water.
Cool setup. I already own a backpack that I think may be suitable and may experiment with something along those lines.

The other issue I see with all of this is what to do with the bike while hiking. In some cases I am sure that safe places to leave the bike can be found, but I wonder how this has been worked out by others.
Old 12-14-07, 10:22 AM
theranman

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
After doing a lot of research, I came to the conclusion that there really aren't very backpack panniers on the market. Sure would be nice if there were more. The ones I've found have mostly been either too big or too small. This bear needs one that's juuust right...one that will hold my gym clothes, has an easy open buckle to open, and slides on and off the rear rack in a second or two. Yeah, some of the grocery bag panniers come close, but the best one I've seen (Detours Toocan grocery pannier) has quilting that's a little too feminine, and it's just a wee bit too small at 1600in³. If it were 2000-2200in³, I'd buy it in a heartbeat..quilting and all. Other grocery panniers I've seen don't have closing tops.

I'm not really looking for a true backback, just something to hold my everyday stuff (especially workout clothes) for short city commutes.
Old 12-14-07, 10:42 AM
vik 
cyclopath

Bikes: Surly Krampus, Surly Straggler, Pivot Mach 6, Bike Friday Tikit, Bike Friday Tandem, Santa Cruz Nomad

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by pauldaley

has anyone out there strapped a backpack of some sort to the back of their tourer ?
I carry a soft rucksack that folds up quite small and can be used for day trips or ultralight overnighters in warm climates.

GoLite makes quite a few larger soft packs that might fit your needs. You could also check out some army surplus stores and see if they have anything that would work for you.
Old 12-14-07, 01:42 PM
Niles H.
eternalvoyage

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by pauldaley

I really want to be able to set up camp somewhere (Canarvon, Daintree, Kakadu, for example) and leave my bike in the bushes, and go on a walk-about

I'm not into the idea of travelling with a trailer, but maybe this is the only option

my friend who is riding up to Darwin at the moment on a motor bike, has an army backpack strapped to the back of his bike ...

it would be perfect.. as i think it would fit on the top of some racks ... but just don't know where you'd find them ... the older, canvas style ones... with lots of straps to attach bits and peices too

any ideas ?

has anyone done this ?
Yes, I've done this many times.

It is one of those things that sound exotic and sketchy at first -- most people balk at implementing a new idea like this -- but it is actually quite easy and simple.

A strong, reliable rack is worth having.

Nylon accessory straps (especially those with side-release connectors) are extremely handy for securing things to the top of the rack.

If you have the money, there are some very nice light weight backpacks out there. The ultralight backpacking websites will have a lot of information and reviews.

Otherwise, any backpack that fits you well can be strapped on top of the rack and used for backpacking trips.

I usually segregate the dense and heavy items in their own stuffsacks. These go inside the panniers for a lower center of gravity and better handling. It is very easy to shift them to the backpack when you are ready to go on a walk-about.

Light weight items go inside the pack.

A tent fly wrapped around the pack, or lawn and leaf bags, can protect the pack and its contents if rain is a concern.

There are some excellent light weight and waterproof backpacks being made now. They are a great way to go; but there are other ways that work just fine too.

It isn't as hard as it may seem at first. It soon feels like one of the most natural things in the world.

Last edited by Niles H.; 12-14-07 at 01:49 PM.
Old 12-14-07, 01:48 PM
Little Darwin
The Improbable Bulk

Bikes: Many

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Niles H.
Nylon accessory straps (especially those with side-release connectors) are extremely handy for securing things to the top of the rack.
This answered my question before I asked it. I had tried strapping a backpack to my bike's rack for commuting, and didn't make it out of the driveway before it started to topple. I was using bungies and a bungie like cargo net... I'll have to get some nylon straps and try it again.
Old 12-14-07, 02:32 PM
Niles H.
eternalvoyage

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
REI and other sources that carry backpacking or rock climbing equipment often have an assortment of accessory straps. They are one of the most useful things I have found for touring. You can really cinch things down with them.

(Going with longer rather than shorter straps has also proved useful. The extra capacity is sometimes good to have, and they aren't much more expensive. You can cut them back a bit if needed, and the extra length is easy to tuck under or tie off.)

Last edited by Niles H.; 12-14-07 at 02:47 PM.
Old 12-14-07, 03:43 PM
kayakboy

Bikes: Raleigh M60, Raleigh Supercourse (road), customs....

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
https://www.peterwhitecycles.com/tout-terrain.asp The 'sherpa'
All the way to the bottom. This might be a really good setup, as it it may be aero.
Rivendell mountain works makes a frame less back pack that is said to fit better than a framed pack. Worth a look.
Old 12-15-07, 04:52 AM
gnz
Being there, doing that

Bikes: Avanti Pioneer Hybrid

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have a jansport alaska II backpack as part of my setup. I bungee cord it on top of my rear panniers. It serves as a convenient boot where I put the bulky but light stuff like the sleeping bag and matress. While off the bike, the pack can expand to a huge size, three of the panniers will fit full inside so it is also a nice conversion as luggage for the airplane.
The downsides: well, the backpack itself weighs between one and two kilos so that's extra weight. While the pack is strapped both my rear panniers are inaccesible but I've worked around this by organizing the contents.
Old 12-15-07, 06:51 AM
DukeArcher 

Bikes: Thorn Nomad S+S, Trek 520 - 2007 (out on loan), and a crap Repco MTB

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
except when the pannier clip comes off, Gonz
Old 12-15-07, 07:10 AM
gnz
Being there, doing that

Bikes: Avanti Pioneer Hybrid

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DukeArcher
except when the pannier clip comes off, Gonz
Yes but the backpack has nothing to do with it. That pannier detaches because it got damaged in the past when I had a crash
I also forgot to mention that since I usually have the backpack full with fluffy stuff it also serves as a very nice and comfy seat when stopping for lunch or after setting up camp.
Old 12-15-07, 03:17 PM
aroundoz
More Energy than Sense

Bikes: Co-Motion Divide

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I did a 10 month tour which included a lot of day hikes. I placed my sleeping bag and tent inside of a day pack and then strapped the pack to my rack using two bungees. Same thing I would normally use to attach the tent and bag. It worked great and was very solid. Never came off once. Next trip I might invest in a waterproof day pack and do the same. Arcteryx makes one but it is a bit pricey. Not only will I have a day pack but better rain protection for my gear. If you are talking about multi day hikes, that would be a tough one. I did meet another cyclist who had a full on expedition pack strapped to his rack but it looked very unstable and he couldn't convince me it was a good idea.

Last edited by aroundoz; 12-15-07 at 03:23 PM.
Old 12-16-07, 09:17 PM
fantom1 

Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Why not get a BoB trailer, and throw the stuffed backpack in there?

On a side note, where/how did you guys hide your bike?
Old 12-16-07, 10:13 PM
Michel Gagnon
Year-round cyclist

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
The ideal solution depends on how much bike touring and backpacking you want to do.

I like the installation seen in post 9. For short backpack rides, you could use one front pannier like the Arkel GT-18BP. It would not work for multi-day backpacking tours, but it is quick to hook on the bike and remove it from when you alternate from bike to foot travel.

You could also attach a large backpack on the top of your rear rack. As long as you attach it very securely and you don't pack it too much – especially the rearmost part should be empty – you should be fairly OK.
Old 12-16-07, 10:48 PM
supcom
You need a new bike

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by fantom1
Why not get a BoB trailer, and throw the stuffed backpack in there?

On a side note, where/how did you guys hide your bike?
I've done this. Use a full size backpack in place of the BOB dry sack. Worked great.

In my case, I locked the bike an trailer up next to a ranger station. That may not work for everyone, such as parking at a remote trailhead.
Old 12-17-07, 09:51 AM
Floridacyclist

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by n4zou
I use a backpack as a pannier on my touring bike. It's easy to do. You need a frame so you can easily attach the backpack to the frame and the frame to the rack. 1/2” PVC plumbing pipe works fine. It's cheap, lightweight, easy to cut and glue, and provides a little more space for water.
Looks like it would make a great antenna mount too!
Old 12-17-07, 02:46 PM
Thor29

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If by trekking you mean heading into the backcountry for several days, then I'd suggest an Xtracycle. You could strap a full-size expedition pack to one side if you wanted to.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.