Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

People Love Old Bikes But New….Meh

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

People Love Old Bikes But New….Meh

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-21, 12:59 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
Originally Posted by genejockey
I have 4 red bikes and 4 blue bikes. And a black bike. The black one is the only one that gets NO comments.

I think we're getting near to a sociological theory here about bike appearance indicating approachability or lack thereof.
Old 12-15-21, 01:07 PM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1944 Post(s)
Liked 2,164 Times in 1,323 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
Put that way, same here. Mine was an all boys boarding school not really near anything notable except nice surroundings.
Mine wasn’t a boarding school, but an all boys technical high school.

I think it went from a little after 8am to around 4 pm split between academics and a technical vocation.

After that, going to college was easy.

John
Old 12-15-21, 01:16 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Originally Posted by Bald Paul
I know this thread has been drifting, so it may be difficult for you to stay with it, but....
I was responding to a comment that inferred that, because it took time, money, and care to restore an old car, it was somehow more attractive or better than a newer model off the showroom floor, and making a comparison to building a "modern" CF bike from, basically, the same pile of parts you would have with an older bike.
And if you believe running internal wiring for Di2, and then setting up the system to work correctly from scratch is somehow easier than "restoring" an old bike (which I have done several times), well, we'll agree to disagree there.

No one said the amount of labor made it better or more attractive, just more likely that someone would have a story to tell that was more interesting than "I bought it at a store", and therefore more likely to start a conversation.

Yes, you are an exception to this in that you ride a new bike you built up yourself, but people are probably not going to guess that just by seeing you on your bike on the street.
Old 12-15-21, 01:17 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6972 Post(s)
Liked 10,969 Times in 4,692 Posts
Originally Posted by thehammerdog
1965 mustang will draw a crowd..always.
2021 new Kia Sportage....not so much.
I agree. but as someone who spent part of his youth tooling around in a first-year Mustang, I'm willing to bet big money that the Kia is a far better daily driver.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 12-15-21, 01:27 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by GhostRider62
I did not know that.

Just looked at the bikes currently in the garage. Four blue bikes and two red ones.

This makes me wonder if part of the reason people aren't finding people chatting up their newer bikes (which you haven't found to be true) is the relatively uniform practice of making them dark boring colors.
Old 12-15-21, 01:33 PM
zandoval 

Bikes: Univega, Peu P6, Peu PR-10, Ted Williams, Peu UO-8, Peu UO-18 Mixte, Peu Dolomites

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 967 Post(s)
Liked 1,631 Times in 1,047 Posts
I find it odd that one of the things that really get some bike riders eye is my polished aluminum components. Don't get me wrong, some of the newer subdued black components are proven and very much performing better that thier old counterparts, but seeing a nice polished or chromed group set is still very.... NICE...
Old 12-15-21, 01:38 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by Koyote
I agree. but as someone who spent part of his youth tooling around in a first-year Mustang, I'm willing to bet big money that the Kia is a far better daily driver.
OTOH, there's no guarantee that the latest high-tech bicycle is going to be the best daily rider, where ruggedness may be king. One thing an old bike might have going for it is proven durability over the applicable conditions. If you're doing a daily stop and go commute, there may be very little opportunity for the high end performance characteristics of the new bike to really shine.

The big difference between the technological changes of cars and bikes is that there really hasn't been a lot of change in the engines powering bikes.
Old 12-15-21, 01:39 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by zandoval
I find it odd that one of the things that really get some bike riders eye is my polished aluminum components. Don't get me wrong, some of the newer subdued black components are proven and very much performing better that thier old counterparts, but seeing a nice polished or chromed group set is still very.... NICE...

Never underestimate the appeal of shiny!
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 12-15-21, 02:02 PM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

The biggest difference between cycling and a lot of other sports is the inordinate longevity of the equipment. A well made frame will last a lifetime; regardless if it is appreciated or not.

You’re not going to be skating that same deck or riding that short board for 40 years. Most equipment wears out with use. The only consumable on my longboards are the boards themselves, the fins will last forever, less rocks.

No one is going to play in their league with a wooden tennis racquet or hockey stick. Or go to their club and play old persimmons and get out driven by 75 yards, although there is a niche for this.

I have an old Palmers paintball gun, no way am I’m going to use it just to get lit up. Of course, at 70 I’d get lit up no matter what I use. Today’s goal, last more than 60 seconds.

But bikes are different.

John
Likes For 70sSanO:
Old 12-15-21, 02:04 PM
tankist

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 157 Times in 55 Posts
Another wonderful thread about "my personal preferences and tastes are better than yours"
Likes For tankist:
Old 12-15-21, 02:13 PM
Bald Paul

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 825 Post(s)
Liked 1,659 Times in 784 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
OTOH, there's no guarantee that the latest high-tech bicycle is going to be the best daily rider, where ruggedness may be king. One thing an old bike might have going for it is proven durability over the applicable conditions.
I thought the purpose of this thread was to determine which bike would spur more conversation on the street?

To be perfectly honest, if I see someone riding an old, steel frame, lugged bike that looks like it had been either (a) well cared for, (b) unridden for most of its life and stored indoors, or (c) restored, I may just say, "hey, nice bike" and that would be about it. I really don't want to hear about how long it took you to get that stuck BB cup out of the frame, or how you polished that front derailleur into such a glimmering sheen.

To some, an old bicycle is a piece of art. Then again, someone recently paid an insane (IMHO) amount of money to buy a banana duct-taped to a white wall.
Old 12-15-21, 02:16 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10436 Post(s)
Liked 11,913 Times in 6,101 Posts
I think we're getting near to a sociological theory here about bike appearance indicating approachability or lack thereof.
Well, there's a reason I call it the Big Bad Black Bianchi.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Likes For genejockey:
Old 12-15-21, 02:25 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

I thought the purpose of this thread was to determine which bike would spur more conversation on the street?

To be perfectly honest, if I see someone riding an old, steel frame, lugged bike that looks like it had been either (a) well cared for, (b) unridden for most of its life and stored indoors, or (c) restored, I may just say, "hey, nice bike" and that would be about it. I really don't want to hear about how long it took you to get that stuck BB cup out of the frame, or how you polished that front derailleur into such a glimmering sheen.

To some, an old bicycle is a piece of art. Then again, someone recently paid an insane (IMHO) amount of money to buy a banana duct-taped to a white wall.
Well, in that case, my hypothesis is that there are a lot more NEW bikes out there than OLD bikes, so why would anyone comment on the common? People comment on the UNcommon.

Likes For genejockey:
Old 12-15-21, 02:25 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by tankist
Another wonderful thread about "my personal preferences and tastes are better than yours"

Really? Who said that?
Old 12-15-21, 02:55 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Uh, yeah, I didn't say we couldn't go on tangents, just let's not turn this into a pissing contest over which preferences are "better". I didn't fault you for going on a tangent, but you did mischaracterize what you were reacting to.

I am by self-confession the world's worst mechanic, and I really don't want to talk to anyone about how they put together their bike, new or old.

I'm not sure what you're arguing about at this point. No one's requiring you to talk to anyone, we're just reporting what we've observed.
Old 12-15-21, 03:35 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6972 Post(s)
Liked 10,969 Times in 4,692 Posts
OTOH, there's no guarantee that the latest high-tech bicycle is going to be the best daily rider, where ruggedness may be king.
True. After breaking too many RD cables on my 'all weather, ride anywhere' bike, I'm considering replacing the STI shifters with bar-ends.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 12-15-21, 03:40 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by Koyote
True. After breaking too many RD cables on my 'all weather, ride anywhere' bike, I'm considering replacing the STI shifters with bar-ends.

At this point in my riding life, I've forgotten where the bar ends are (no, I don't mean that literally).
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 12-15-21, 03:58 PM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3241 Post(s)
Liked 2,512 Times in 1,510 Posts
Shiny FTW!
Likes For seypat:
Old 12-15-21, 04:12 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

That is, indeed, what I think catches the eye of other riders about the Battaglin - the bright alloy kit, shiny silver hubs with silver spokes and silver rims, and that beautiful, shiny Chorus crank.

I know it's not me.

Old 12-15-21, 04:57 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4737 Post(s)
Liked 1,533 Times in 1,004 Posts
Originally Posted by thehammerdog
1965 mustang will draw a crowd..always.
2021 new Kia Sportage....not so much.
Yeah, but in 50 years, will you be saying that Kia Sportage is drawing the crowd over the 2070 Hyperdyne Systems XYZ model?
Old 12-15-21, 05:04 PM
GhenghisKahn
OwainGyndwr

Bikes: 90 Fisher 3x7 hardtail, 2016 Reid 1x7 commuter, 2017 Viva 46x18 fixed gear, 93 2x8 Avanti Kona

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 43 Posts

93 Avanti Kona 2x8 and a 90 Fisher Celerity 3x7. Both are stock. When on the road or trail I receive compliments on both. While not a retro grouch I haven't moved into more contemporary bikes because I made a conscious choice to stay in my lane. Do all my own maintenance, wheelbuilding, etc. and the technology in many cases has out paced my skill level. My tech acumen stopped around 2007 the year of our newest bike. Once in a while I've ridden a cf 1x11 cf mtb that belongs to a lbs owner friend of mine. It's like a jet compared to a bi-plane. lol But, I don't identify with the 'steel is real' adage as most of our bikes are aluminum alloy. Ride what you like and take compliments gracefully. If someone wants to take one of yours for a jaunt? Let 'em. That's really high praise.

Last edited by GhenghisKahn; 12-15-21 at 05:08 PM.
Likes For GhenghisKahn:
Old 12-15-21, 05:47 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2585 Post(s)
Liked 5,644 Times in 2,922 Posts
Originally Posted by 70sSanO
This is really a pretty pathetic thread.

John
It most certainly is with nearly 100 responses and far more views and much entertaining discussion.

Your comment reminds me of the reason behind someone posting this thread

General Deterioration of These ForumsThere are a few blowhards which have effectively ruined this Bike Forum. These trolling posters, some averaging over 10 posts a day are dominating most conversations taking away any reasonable discourse in almost every category. Many instances a new member may ask an innocent question and then be pounced on by the usual abusive mega posters weighing in whether they know anything about the issue or not but rather their inner beliefs and quickly turn on the new poster for some ridiculous reason. As these forums are run for profit and benefit from new views, my hope is the administrators and us members take some action against the few lonely fools who need to hear themselves rant and yell at clouds because no one in their personal lives will listen. I am sure new member counts are dropping because of this trend.

Old 12-15-21, 06:06 PM
70sSanO

Sorry.

I guess I just have a problem with old people.

John
Old 12-15-21, 06:35 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by rsbob
It most certainly is with nearly 100 responses and far more views and much entertaining discussion.

Your comment reminds me of the reason behind someone posting this thread

General Deterioration of These ForumsThere are a few blowhards which have effectively ruined this Bike Forum. These trolling posters, some averaging over 10 posts a day are dominating most conversations taking away any reasonable discourse in almost every category. Many instances a new member may ask an innocent question and then be pounced on by the usual abusive mega posters weighing in whether they know anything about the issue or not but rather their inner beliefs and quickly turn on the new poster for some ridiculous reason. As these forums are run for profit and benefit from new views, my hope is the administrators and us members take some action against the few lonely fools who need to hear themselves rant and yell at clouds because no one in their personal lives will listen. I am sure new member counts are dropping because of this trend.

Now THAT was a pathetic thread!

Locked, as I recall.
Old 12-15-21, 06:40 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by GhenghisKahn

93 Avanti Kona 2x8 and a 90 Fisher Celerity 3x7. Both are stock. When on the road or trail I receive compliments on both. While not a retro grouch I haven't moved into more contemporary bikes because I made a conscious choice to stay in my lane. Do all my own maintenance, wheelbuilding, etc. and the technology in many cases has out paced my skill level. My tech acumen stopped around 2007 the year of our newest bike. Once in a while I've ridden a cf 1x11 cf mtb that belongs to a lbs owner friend of mine. It's like a jet compared to a bi-plane. lol But, I don't identify with the 'steel is real' adage as most of our bikes are aluminum alloy. Ride what you like and take compliments gracefully. If someone wants to take one of yours for a jaunt? Let 'em. That's really high praise.
See, shiny happy colors attract compliments! I think we might be onto something here.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.