Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

What road bike do you have?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

What road bike do you have?

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-06, 11:09 PM
lsits
Desert tortise

Bikes: Ibex Corrida LT 4.4 (2003), 2006 Bianchi Vigorelli (Red)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by necromancer
Congrats! I've been thinking of buying a Vigorelli myself. I think the geometry of the 63cm is perfect for me, but I can't test ride one, since my local shop doesn't stock them.

How do you like the ride?
Do you think the frame and fork will handle 28c tires?
How is the Truvativ crank w/ front shifting? Is it 50/34? The website photo shows 50/36, but lists 50/34.

I'm also considering the 07 Lemond Sarthe, but leaning towards the Vigorelli.
I wish it came in celeste, but the red ain't bad.

I would really appreciate the feedback.
Thanks.
To tell you the truth, I haven't taken it on an extended ride yet. I rode it for about 15 minutes in the area near the bike shop. (I can't really call it a LBS because it was about 35 miles from my house. It was the closest one that carried both Lemond and Bianchi.)

For me it was the best of all the bikes I tested out. I tired the Cannondale Synapse (they didn't have the Synapes alloy in stock) the R800, the Specialized Alez and Roubaix (can't remember the exact models) at one bike shop, and some Lemonds, and some Felts at another shop before I picked this one (or did it pick me?). I wanted to try the Sarthe, but they didn't have any of the 06's in my size. It's not something I can explain, but it just felt right. It's a 55cm. I tried a Lemond in a 55 and it felt too big, but the 55 Bianchi felt perfect.

I'll be taking it to a club ride tomorrow. I'll give a report then.
Old 08-27-06, 10:42 AM
Dubbayoo

Bikes: Pedal Force QS3

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
What's the word on these Douglas frames at Colo Cyclist? All I see is that they're Litespeeds. Looks like a cheaper Merlin Ti Works compact to me.
Old 08-27-06, 01:25 PM
Gibbygoo

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I took a couple pictures of my '05 Scattante CFR today...

Last edited by Gibbygoo; 08-27-06 at 01:33 PM.
Old 08-27-06, 01:31 PM
Lamplight

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 12 Posts
My latest, a Nishiki Prestige of unknown year (well, unknown to me). I'm assuming '80s.

Old 08-27-06, 03:37 PM
the beef
100% USDA certified

Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Lamplight
My latest, a Nishiki Prestige of unknown year (well, unknown to me). I'm assuming '80s.

Looks sharp!

I don't remember, but are you the guy who posted the red Bianchi a while back? For some reason I recognize the garden from that photo.
Old 08-27-06, 03:46 PM
lsits
Desert tortise

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by lsits
To tell you the truth, I haven't taken it on an extended ride yet. I rode it for about 15 minutes in the area near the bike shop. (I can't really call it a LBS because it was about 35 miles from my house. It was the closest one that carried both Lemond and Bianchi.)

For me it was the best of all the bikes I tested out. I tired the Cannondale Synapse (they didn't have the Synapes alloy in stock) the R800, the Specialized Alez and Roubaix (can't remember the exact models) at one bike shop, and some Lemonds, and some Felts at another shop before I picked this one (or did it pick me?). I wanted to try the Sarthe, but they didn't have any of the 06's in my size. It's not something I can explain, but it just felt right. It's a 55cm. I tried a Lemond in a 55 and it felt too big, but the 55 Bianchi felt perfect.

I'll be taking it to a club ride tomorrow. I'll give a report then.
Got back a little while ago from a 30-mile ride with a good bit of climbing. I checked the chainring and it's 50-34. It came with a 12-25 cassette but the bike shop put a 12-27 on it for no extra charge. Since I'm not a racer I decided to give up a little bit of the high gearing for some low gearing.

I'm not an expert on these things, but it looks like the widest tires that will fit would be 25's or 26's. The limitation seems to be the brakes. With the little lever up there's just enogh room to get the tires out. I have 700x23's on it.

I can't say enough about the ride. Silky smooth. On the climbs I was doing better than I ususlly do. On the flats I was keeping up with the faster riders. Downhills felt solid and smooth. I even felt comfortable enough to do a little standing on a couple of the climbs (something that I usually don't do). I used the stock saddle and by butt was fine.

For the type of riding that I do, I think i've found the perfect bike. It was a few hundred dollers more than I had originally intended to spend on a bike, but I think it was money well spent. About the only thing I need to do is get a new pump. The one that I'm using now is from my other bike and it clips to the downtube. This blocks the Bianchi logo on the left side. Totally unacceptable. I might get a frame pump that attaches to the top tube or a Road Morph.

I absolutely LOVE the color. Call it heresy, but I've never been a big fan of the Celeste color. Did I mention that I LOVE the color?

If I had to describe this bike in two words they would be: Suh Weet.
Old 08-27-06, 05:04 PM
Lamplight

Originally Posted by the beef
Looks sharp!

I don't remember, but are you the guy who posted the red Bianchi a while back? For some reason I recognize the garden from that photo.
Thanks! Yep, I have a red Bianchi too.
Old 08-27-06, 07:14 PM
necromancer
Bring on the mutton

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

If I had to describe this bike in two words they would be: Suh Weet.
Thanks for the ride report and the tire clearance info. The roads are pretty bad up here in the north end of northern CA, so the extra tire width helps. My early 90's trek runs ultegra SLR calipers and clears 28c just fine, so maybe I can switch them out. My only concern is tire rub against the seatstay and/or fork with the extra width.

Frame pumps are little heavier than minipumps, but I'll always use a frame pump. They're fast, and I hate keeping riding buddies waiting while I fix a flat.

Thanks again.
Old 08-27-06, 07:45 PM
Dead Roman
Devourer of souls

Bikes: Felt f70

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

could youpost someside shots of that nishiki? I just recently acquired one of thes frames and im goin to convert it into a fixie.
Old 08-27-06, 08:53 PM
lsits
Desert tortise

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by necromancer
Thanks for the ride report and the tire clearance info. The roads are pretty bad up here in the north end of northern CA, so the extra tire width helps. My early 90's trek runs ultegra SLR calipers and clears 28c just fine, so maybe I can switch them out. My only concern is tire rub against the seatstay and/or fork with the extra width.

Frame pumps are little heavier than minipumps, but I'll always use a frame pump. They're fast, and I hate keeping riding buddies waiting while I fix a flat.

Thanks again.
Like I said, I'm no expert. Feel free to consult others (like the LBS).
Old 08-27-06, 10:12 PM
Pugdawg1

Bikes: Marin Riftzone, Ridley Orion, Jamis Allegro Commuter , Univega road bike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Here's my new road bike. I have only ridden mountain bikes. This is the first roadie I have ever owned or ridden (took my first ride today, did 50 miles, and absolutely NO issues ~ I thought for sure I'd wind up with maybe sore shoulder, back etc from riding in a different position than what I am used to), and so I am rather happy with it, and am hopeful it will be a good first road bike for me. Here's a couple pictures.

Put a Selle Italia seat on it. Very comfortable for me.

I am still so ignorant on so many things, but I'm learning as I go.
Old 08-27-06, 10:39 PM
the beef
100% USDA certified

Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
Thanks! Yep, I have a red Bianchi too.
Sweet, I thought the yard seemed familiar! A stunning shot, as usual.
Old 08-27-06, 10:45 PM
Dead Roman
Devourer of souls

Bikes: Felt f70

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Pugdawg1
Here's my new road bike. I have only ridden mountain bikes. This is the first roadie I have ever owned or ridden (took my first ride today, did 50 miles, and absolutely NO issues ~ I thought for sure I'd wind up with maybe sore shoulder, back etc from riding in a different position than what I am used to), and so I am rather happy with it, and am hopeful it will be a good first road bike for me. Here's a couple pictures.

Put a Selle Italia seat on it. Very comfortable for me.

I am still so ignorant on so many things, but I'm learning as I go.

Thats one HELLUVA first bike.
Old 08-27-06, 11:50 PM
redfooj
pluralis majestatis

Bikes: a DuhRosa

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 537 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I'm not an expert on these things, but it looks like the widest tires that will fit would be 25's or 26's. The limitation seems to be the brakes. With the little lever up there's just enogh room to get the tires out. I have 700x23's on it.
the quick-release levers allows for more clearance by lessening tension... you can lessen tension and consequently increase clearance by using the barrel adjuster and/or undoing brake cable and let some more slack out. unless its a megapurposeful race bike, it should accept up to 28c--most general road bikes do
Old 08-28-06, 02:11 PM
Blaireau

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Relayer
I took a couple pictures of my '05 Scattante CFR today...

Dude! That's one big picture....
Seriously, that's a cool looking bike with good components. Do you mind sharing how much you paid for it?
Old 08-28-06, 05:37 PM
Drag
Cardiac Case

Bikes: Trek, Cannondale, Litespeed, Lynskey

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Okay I'll join in, here's my rides.

My trusty riding partner:

1990 Trek 1400 - recently updated: threadless front end, carbon fiber fork, STI shifters, Flite saddle. The frame is made from Easton E9 Program tubing. She was certainly a nice bike in her day. I bought her from a friend in '92 or thereabouts 'cuz he ended up with a back problem which made cycling problematic (he must've put less than 250 miles on her at best). Anyway, it's got a 7sp 105 grouppo. Unfortunately, the backend is only 126mm which prevents me from going with a full drivetrain upgrade, but since I was mainly a mountain biker for the balance of the 90s and non-existent on the road in this century, she's pretty much nearly brand new.

And my latest trophy:

2005 Litespeed Tuscany - a lil' over a week old. Just got the pedals installed a couple days back. Full Ultegra gruppo, aside from the Mavic Equipe wheelset. I figured I was so excited to get reacquainted with my first serious love: cycling - that I celebrated in a BIG way.

Last edited by Drag; 07-05-09 at 12:30 AM.
Old 08-28-06, 05:52 PM
Drag
Cardiac Case

Bikes: Trek, Cannondale, Litespeed, Lynskey

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
You know, I have to admit, the concept of owning TWO road bikes (let alone MORE THAN TWO), seemed pretty absurd to me . . . until I came across this place! LOL!
Old 08-28-06, 05:53 PM
Lamplight

Originally Posted by Dead Roman
could youpost someside shots of that nishiki? I just recently acquired one of thes frames and im goin to convert it into a fixie.
Sure thing, here you go:

Old 08-28-06, 09:37 PM
lsits
Desert tortise

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by redfooj
the quick-release levers allows for more clearance by lessening tension... you can lessen tension and consequently increase clearance by using the barrel adjuster and/or undoing brake cable and let some more slack out. unless its a megapurposeful race bike, it should accept up to 28c--most general road bikes do
There's your answer necromancer. I have Ultegra brakes. thanks for clearing that up, redfoo.
Old 08-28-06, 09:50 PM
goldfish
the great shark hunt

Bikes: 2005 Cervélo Soloist w/ Campag Chorus (06/07 parts mix), 2001 Cervélo Prodigy w/ Campag Centaur '06, Giant Bowery Fixed-Gear, old steel black '70s bike waiting for FG build, trusty red SS mountain bike waiting for snow-bike build

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Drag
I figured I was so excited to get reacquainted with my first serious love: cycling - that I celebrated in a BIG way.
Well, I always figure, if you're gonna celebrate, you might as well do it right! And you certainly did it right

You've got two very attractive bikes there my friend! Happy riding!
Old 08-28-06, 10:04 PM
MattC

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My Current Project

Well I am getting close to finishing my Litespeed Classic so I figure I should show you guys. Let me know what you think.

Last edited by MrCrassic; 09-13-08 at 10:15 PM.
Old 08-28-06, 10:06 PM
goldfish
the great shark hunt

Bikes: 2005 Cervélo Soloist w/ Campag Chorus (06/07 parts mix), 2001 Cervélo Prodigy w/ Campag Centaur '06, Giant Bowery Fixed-Gear, old steel black '70s bike waiting for FG build, trusty red SS mountain bike waiting for snow-bike build

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
MattC your bike is lookin pretty hot...i'm hoping you post some more detailed pics in the future...
Old 08-28-06, 10:10 PM
Namenda

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by MattC
Well I am getting close to finishing my Litespeed Classic so I figure I should show you guys. Let me know what you think.

Beauty of a bike. Do my eyes deceive, or are you quite tall?
Old 08-28-06, 10:15 PM
MattC

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I am 6'2 and mostly leg. The bike is actually a tad small I need to get a 120 stem to replace that 110 on it now. I have a few rides on it and the drop seems to be fine.
Old 08-29-06, 09:33 AM
The Micah

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Here's my Bianchi San Lorenzo.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.