Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Electrek: The country where electric bikes outsell pedal bikes

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-23, 07:17 AM
john m flores 
Rider. Wanderer. Creator.

Bikes: Bike Friday Pocket Rocket, Cinelli Hobootleg, Zizzo Liberte

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 395 Post(s)
Liked 785 Times in 378 Posts

"According to the German Bicycle Industry Association, sales of bikes in Germany reached a new record of €7.36 billion last year, or roughly US $7.8 billion. E-bikes made up nearly half of that total, but now the group is forecasting that German riders will buy more e-bikes than conventional models this year."

https://electrek.co/2023/09/30/germa...c-bikes-sales/
Old 10-02-23, 08:02 AM
Reynolds 
Passista

Bikes: 1998 Pinarello Asolo, 1992 KHS Montaña pro, 1980 Raleigh DL-1, IGH Hybrid, IGH Utility

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 868 Post(s)
Liked 721 Times in 396 Posts
Apocalypse is near.
Likes For Reynolds:
Old 10-02-23, 08:50 AM
2old

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 883 Post(s)
Liked 824 Times in 623 Posts
$-wise the quantity may be nearly equal, but the number of units probably reflects differently since the price of "e" probably exceeds considerably. Still, the trend is inescapable.
Likes For 2old:
Old 10-02-23, 09:30 AM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4420 Post(s)
Liked 4,873 Times in 3,017 Posts
There are also far more regular bikes already in existence so the demand for new bikes will be more limited. E-bike buyers are far more likely to be first time e-bike owners.
Old 10-02-23, 09:32 AM
jon c. 

Quoted: 1591 Post(s)
Liked 1,020 Times in 572 Posts
It makes sense as bicycles last a long time. That half the bikes sold are e-bikes doesn't mean that half the bikes on the road are e-bikes. And there are a lot more bike commuters there than in the US. I think that usage especially lends itself to e-bikes. Don't think I'm likely to buy an e-bike anytime soon but if I rode to work every day I'd probably get one.
Likes For jon c.:
Old 10-02-23, 10:35 AM
PeteHski

Originally Posted by jon c.
It makes sense as bicycles last a long time. That half the bikes sold are e-bikes doesn't mean that half the bikes on the road are e-bikes. And there are a lot more bike commuters there than in the US. I think that usage especially lends itself to e-bikes. Don't think I'm likely to buy an e-bike anytime soon but if I rode to work every day I'd probably get one.
Yeah I see a lot of e-bike commuters now. Perfect application and so much more efficient than driving a car solo.
Old 10-02-23, 10:51 AM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Quoted: 26427 Post(s)
Liked 10,384 Times in 7,212 Posts
...I'm hesitant about expressing any opinion, one way or the other, on the coming e-bike apocalypse. It always seems to bring out the trolls.
But there was an interesting article on what has happened in Paris, as the people there have actually embraced cycling (of all sorts) as a transportation alternative in large numbers.

Paris is seeing a new kind of road rage: Bike-lane traffic jams

It was hinted at as long as two years ago, here in the NY Times: As Bikers Throng the Streets, ‘It’s Like Paris Is in Anarchy’
So I guess it's a good thing, managed poorly, resulting in the usual problems created by lack of planning and foresight.

Which is also my take on e-bikes, if I think about it long enough.
Old 10-02-23, 12:31 PM
Germany_chris
I’m a little Surly

Bikes: Two Cross Checks, a Karate Monkey, a Disc Trucker, and a VO Randonneur

Quoted: 699 Post(s)
Liked 1,294 Times in 647 Posts
Originally Posted by john m flores
"According to the German Bicycle Industry Association, sales of bikes in Germany reached a new record of €7.36 billion last year, or roughly US $7.8 billion. E-bikes made up nearly half of that total, but now the group is forecasting that German riders will buy more e-bikes than conventional models this year."

https://electrek.co/2023/09/30/germa...c-bikes-sales/
Germans ride bike for transportation and have the infrastructure to reflect that, what’s the big deal?
Likes For Germany_chris:
Old 10-02-23, 02:49 PM
Rick_D

Bikes: Litespeed Firenze, Spot Acme, Specialzed S Works Pro Race, Davidson Stiletto, Colnago Superissimo

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Liked 304 Times in 174 Posts
We did a German student exchange when my kid was a high schooler. Turns out the girl we hosted had a small motorscooter she used for basic transportation, as was common among the teens in her town. (Her license was a Class S, which has been superseded by Class L6e. There are also Classes L and T, with lower speed limits.)

I can easily see how an ebike can replace that motorscooter for their transportation needs; likely true in many European countries. Cars are less common and license requirements are much more stringent than in the States where it's frankly too easy. It's also expensive.
The cost of obtaining a licence for driving a car is on average €1,400 but varies widely according to an individual's skill, city and region. Individual driving schools set their own prices. The total includes fees for: authorities and exams, learning materials, driving lessons and tuition.
Old 10-02-23, 03:46 PM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Quoted: 26427 Post(s)
Liked 10,384 Times in 7,212 Posts
Originally Posted by Rick_D

I can easily see how an ebike can replace that motorscooter for their transportation needs; likely true in many European countries. Cars are less common and license requirements are much more stringent than in the States where it's frankly too easy. It's also expensive.

...true story, you can believe it or not. Down at the neighborhood soccer/baseball field yesterday, where I jog laps for about an hour most days, I saw a couple of pre-schoolers with their moms, over on the baseball backstop bench. I continue jogging past. The kids, a boy and a girl, are digging a hole in the loose dirt. Generally, we're all having a good time. Second lap, I notice the boy has picked up his tiny bike, which looks a little odd. As I go past this time, doing the hill repeats on the far end, he wants to go up the hill, too.

So his mom tells him, "It's pretty steep, you'll need to use the throttle". I start running a little faster. He makes it up the hill, stops, and turns around to go down. At the bottom he is pretty much out of control, but manages to hang on and cross the field, using nothing but the throttle.

I'm trying to figure out whether it's safer to just run the levee top, at this point. But he goes back across to the bench, with his mom. Next time I pass, he's sitting there on the e-bike about three feet from her, and he decides he wants to go again. Like any pre schooler, he unthinkingly hits the throttle, and runs his bike into the bench next to his mom, falling over. Because he's a pre-schooler. His mother was unfazed by all of this. She asks him if he wants her to put the throttle on a lower setting.

Honestly, I still don't really believe it. And I was there.
Old 10-02-23, 07:03 PM
cyclezen
OM boy

Bikes: a bunch

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 518 Post(s)
Liked 646 Times in 438 Posts
Some observations, as relates to the region in Germany, which I call 'home'. It's quite 'rural' with mostly smaller towns. Larger cities in the area, like Munich and Nurnberg, do have some of the issues of urbanization and suburbanization, but quickly blend to 'rural' also.
Germans do have a love affair with their motor cars, and fawn upon them as if they are 'children', certainly equal to a pet... LOL!
But, there's always been the bicycle. For the longest time, after WW II, a regular source for short distance transport, when Bus or train were not necessary.
In recent decades, they've rediscovered the bicycle, as a great way for the 'wochenende wanderung' - weekend walk/hike/excursion. Most often on Sunday, Saturday being a day for getting home projects and needs done. Not quite the overwhelming use, as in the Netherlands. But still obvious and ever-present.
The 'e-bike' has accentuated that, as well as a viable commuting method for short distances - 1 to 5-6 km... Many of the smaller towns (as with the larger burgs) are quite 'tight', with limited motor vehicle parking and often longer additional walks to their destinations.
The e-bike has taken over, for many functions, enjoyment, exercise and small errands/shopping. Most notably, the Sunday excursion to a 'Gast-Haus' for the Mid-Day meal. Germans love to get into the countryside and have their Main Meal (which is commonly the midday meal) in some 'country' setting.
E-Bikes are 'IT'...
Ride On
Yuri

Last edited by cyclezen; 10-02-23 at 10:39 PM.
Likes For cyclezen:
Old 10-03-23, 03:59 AM
PeteHski

Originally Posted by Rick_D

Most European cities are simply not very car friendly compared to typical US grid based cities, so bikes and motor scooters are simply a more practical and faster way of getting around. E-bikes are going to be massively popular and will probably replace a lot of current motor scooters. I’m starting to see that already in local cities with lots of the delivery guys moving from motor scooters to e-bikes. Commuters are also starting to favour e-bikes over normal bikes, especially for longer commutes. Also seeing quite a few of these on rural commutes lately. People who would have likely driven previously.
Likes For PeteHski:
Old 10-03-23, 12:16 PM
work4bike

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3781 Post(s)
Liked 1,049 Times in 793 Posts
It's hard to say how this ebike industry will affect things as it continues to grow, but it's something I'm watching with interest. This video talks about that growth, it's about a year old.